Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:? I'm in the process of buying a Burgman 650. I have gotten a lot of info from this site. Excellent Site. Does anyone know if there are any design or engineering differences in the two models ? I saw a 650 Executive, does anyone know if they are available in US yet?

Mike In Lakeland, Florida

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Exec is not avaiable in US or Can. Only difference that i know off for 2004 there is a deflector added back of kick stand to deflect water, that can be added to 2003. Some others may know more, i dont think deseling sound may be as bad, but just gessing on this. Welcome to fourm Mike, I had a few trips to lakeland to Sun and Fun, do you go to it :?:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fly in is next month. I visit almost every year. My Brother flys down in his De Havland. Lakeland is the busiest Airport in the world during the fly in. Let me know if you are visiting this year.
Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
K3 = K4

Hi,
actually, I´m talking about the Scooters here in Germany. But why should they are different than those in the USA?

Yes, there are little changes made to the new 2004-modell AN650 Executive (K4).
I bought in march 2003 the 1st AN650 K3 and drove about 13.000km.
On March 7, 2004 I got the new K4:

- the scooter is 6 KG (about 12 pounds) heavier than the K3,
- it has now ABS on both front and rear wheels,
- the exhaust has 2 chrome parts now
- and there is a little spoiler next to the side stand to avoid that the drivers left leg become dirty while it rains.
- And the gasoline tank- cap is different and you refill now straight down wards, like in a car.
- And, new is also the black colour.
The AN650 is called in Japan "wild wave". End of the year 2003 they created a "Special wild wave" in black. That´s why they sell the new K4 also in black. But in Japan also you can buy a RED one...
- And you´ve got now a little blue switch at the left: If you press it down both mirrows are moving by electric power to the garage-parking-position!
This function is very usefull over here in the small cities if you pass through the cars/car lines, waiting in front of red lights, to be the 1st in line.

Regards
Mike

·
Registered
689 Posts
How can I get this deflector that is on the kick stand.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Re: K3 = K4

MichaelMcMike said:
...actually, I´m talking about the Scooters here in Germany. But why should they are different than those in the USA?...
Sadly, the U.S. does get the executive model of the AN650 in 2004. That's the model with ABS, electric mirrors, and many of the features mentioned. Perhaps in '05.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Roger, the part is available here for the 2004 650. have your dealer look it up on the 2004 microfiche. It costs 11.25 and screws on.

Eddie

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hey Mike,

Nice to hear the viewpoint from Germany.

Over here in Japan, it's called "Skywave" - it's been that since the launch of the range with the AN250 in 1997 or so (I can't remember exactly when).

At the end of last year, they produced the "Anniversary" model, which was to mark 50 years of Suzuki motorcycles. It was black, with electric mirrors, gel inserts on the seats, chrome pipe shield and passenger backrest as standard. All of these apart from the gel seat were lifted straight from the Suzuki factory optional equipment list. It was a limited edition.

The 2004 model has a slight change to the clutch, and some detail changes with the filler cap and colours. The ABS model (Skywave 650 LX over here) is a seperate model which retails for 1000USD more than the standard model. It has all of the options fitted as standard as the Anniversary did - apart from the gel seat. Colours for 2004 are Black or Silver for the standard, Silver only for the ABS.

I recently bought a 2002 brand new model because I felt that the Skywave 650 looks best in white - and that was the only year that they produced a white model. The price was 7500 USD on the road, whereas a 2004 was retailing for 8000USD - no difference at all. I bought what I wanted. I cannot see any reason to buy a non-ABS 2004 over a 2002/3 if the colour that you want is not available on the 2004.

However, I recommend the ABS model if you are prepared to pay the extra 1000USD, as you cna never have enough braking support when avoiding a suicidal deer or u-turner after a long weekends ride on a rainy night.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Good morning lycheed,

yes, you are right, ABS is a safety item you use mostly only once. And you are happy, if you got it than...
The AN650 without ABS is sold here in Germany for 7000.-Eu (aprox 8400.-USD) in silver and blue.
I sold my 12 month old silver 650 with 12000klm last month for 6000.-Eu (about 7200.-USD) and got a brand new AN650-Executive with ABS and GPS-navigations system from "VDOdayton" for 10.000.-Eu (about 12000.-USD), incl. heated grips and a "dual sound" horn.

I would like to get the writing "Skywave" in chrom letters from Japan to affix that on my Scooter....
Also, did you read my other posting?
Do you think, you could make me a connex to a japanese Suzuki-dealer who speaks english and who would like to sell me some things for the AN650? Items, we dont have here in Germany.
All I need would be his eMailaddress, as the payment could easily be done via VISA.
And the communication can be made via eMails...
Happy Easter season to you (how are the Japanese celebrating Easter?)
Regards
Mike

·
Registered
308 Posts
Edwljoseph said:
Roger, the part is available here for the 2004 650. have your dealer look it up on the 2004 microfiche. It costs 11.25 and screws on.

Eddie
I was expecting them to charge $60 for it :D great to hear that it's reasonable, and I'll probably be getting one soon. THanks Eddie!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Update:

I bought the part from Ron Ayers along with the shop manual. I'm waiting for delivery. Total cost including shipping was about $46.00

Eddie

·
Registered
793 Posts
Last year, I owned an AN650K3 and never had the experience of losing
traction with the front wheel. There's plenty of sand and rocks to lose
traction with here so I apply both front and rear brakes to stop
on loose gravel.

ABS sounds safe but how many riders have lost traction
to justify more money and more weight for ABS?
I agree with Covert, that ABS could spoil us out of learning to control braking.

----

Designing/Testing BurgyModules and not posting much until June '04.

·
Registered
498 Posts
AJ, thanks for the message.

I normally agree totally with Covert but on this occasion I'm afraid I can't. It's terribly macho and technical to talk about braking prowess, but that means nothing when you've lost free movement in your knee after a collosion with another vehicle - or worse still, your passenger has a serious injury.

As Micheal suggets, the one time that you do lose the front, perhaps:
1. on a rainy day when panic braking over white lines or manhole cover
2. to avoid a u-turner that hasn't looked
3. to avoid a taxi driver emergency braking to win his next fare
4. To avoid a pedestrian that is wearing all black at night and is running across an unlit road in the rain
...you will wish that you had spent the extra cash. Make this incident in the final portion of the return leg of a touring weekend, and you have to add fatigue into the picture. A locked rear means you can't turn to avoid an obstacle so it's not only about front end lock-ups - although they can be terminal.

I'm not talking about planned routine braking on dry roads.

Besides, as the ABS model comes complete with the passenger backrest and electric mirrors as standard, both 150 USD and 400USD as options on the non-ABS respectively, you are only paying 450USD to have the benefit of knowing that if you have lucked out, you'll be ok.

This thing weighs the best part of 240kgs so the additional 6kgs that the ABS model records on the scales - including the electric mirrors and passenger backrest - may not pose the issue that you may at first have thought.

I'm quite partial to visiting circuits on the RC45, and have covered 100,000kms on road bikes without ABS in all conditions, so I'm reasonably confident that I know how to brake a motorcycle and love braking hard into 2nd/3rd gear bends. However, I'm still able to appreciate the value of braking support devices on road bikes for use in all weather conditions.

I can't recollect the last time that the ABS system engaged on my Forza (Reflex) but over the last 19,000kms of largely all weather city riding, it certainly has engaged in the rain at night on white lines and manhole covers avoiding taxis on occasion. ABS has value.

Perhaps one of the most interesting things about riding bikes with ABS is that you find yourself braking so much harder in the rain without the ABS engaging, simply because you are more confident that you won't lose the front end. If you think about it in this way, having ABS it may actually improve your braking technique and confidence in the rain, as oppose to decrease your skill.

Enjoy

·
Registered
143 Posts
Parts from Japan

Hi everybody,
maybe I also see ot from a different point if view, because here in Germany we ride that scooter on the Autobahn or Highways with the max-speed, about 180km/h (about 100mph? or more)
At this speed to make an emergency brake needs more than only good technik...

...by the way, Lycheed:
Today I got a contact now to Japan and I ordered my parts directly
Regards
Mike

·
Registered
498 Posts
Mike,

I understand the German context. The Tokyo context - where people sit in cars that literally drive themselves (eg 2004 Honda Accord - cruise control, auto brakes, auto-steering, auto-management of distance from the vehicle in-front) watching television and/or emailing - on the return route from a weekend away, at 8pm when everyone is tired you better watch out.

Regarding Suzuki Japan - You've had more succes than me! I found this dealership. Perhaps you can contact them if your contact doesn't work out.

[email protected]

Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought the 2004. Picked it up last wednesday. Put 110 miles on it this weekend. Great fun, Scooter a little top heavy. I have to get use to the motor brakes. Feeling more comfortable every time I ride.

Mike
In Florida :lol:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Mike Doss said:
I bought the 2004. Picked it up last wednesday. Put 110 miles on it this weekend. Great fun, Scooter a little top heavy. I have to get use to the motor brakes. Feeling more comfortable every time I ride.

Mike
In Florida :lol:
You want top heavy? Try a k1200 LT !!! You'll be putting your feet out at 20 mph in turns. Whoa....whoa.....whup....can someone help me here.

·
Registered
220 Posts
top heavy

I have to agree with Mike. Sure feels top heavy to me. Maybe the top heavy feeling is a function of how tall/strong the rider is. I am 5'9" and weigh maybe 145 on a good day, and I'm an old guy.

My friend, who is 6'2" and a superb bike rider said the Burgman didn't feel top heavy to him. He further opined that it couldn't be top heavy as the engine was laid out horizontally at the very bottom of the bike.

I never rode a K1200LT, but I did ride one of those early Paris/Dakar beemers. You had to have a 36" inseam to get the sidestand fully extended, and I watched a stocky 5'3" buddy riding around in circles in front of us all (motoitalia club meeting) yelling, "Someone help me, I can't stop or I'll fall."

Anyway, the AN 650 does feel top heavy to me. However, once it gets rolling, it's a dream.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:lol: Hey!!! I discovered my problem with top heavy> I'm Vertically challenged. Maybe if I had longer legs, I would not be leaning.

Mike

Standing on a Cola Crate In Florida.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts