Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 05 400 burgman with 11k miles. I have had it tuned up but it still has a stammer or slight miss up to about 40mph. It also has a small backfiring going on during deceleration ? The bike shop put in new plug , cleaned air filter and replaced the fuel but it didnt change anything. any ideas?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride and welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

Sorry can't help much with the problem. Perhaps some fuel injector cleaner would help. Couldn't hurt. You mentioned replacing the fuel. Maybe needs a tank or two run through. Chevron maybe? A little exercise can do wonders.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Congratulations and welcome from Tampa too - where it has FINALLY become at least a little less hot and sticky!

I agree with Liam - try some SeaFoam and just ride her around a bit. A few hundred miles should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Welcome!

Your problem is most likely in the fuel system and could be just a sticking injector or bad gas or a little of both. Run injector cleaner for a tank or two and see if there is any improvement.

How does it idle? Is that rough too? What RPM does it idle at? Usually an injector will act up at idle as well as at speed.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
It is also possible the valves need adjusting. At 11K they would be way overdue if they have never been checked.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It is also possible the valves need adjusting. At 11K they would be way overdue if they have never been checked.
Haven't done much work on my Burgman yet, but if that were my lawn tractor it would definitely be symptoms of needed valve adjustment.

John

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Welcome Kevin from just up the road a bit from you, Kingsport, TN.
I hope you get your scoot squared away and enjoy it, great bikes!
Ride safe!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Let us know in the Pre-2007 400 Burgman section how the bike is running after running out a few tanks of gas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the info. running some injector cleaner in there and it already seems to be improving. I will keep you posted and thanks again.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Take her on a nice 250 miler, she'll be right as rain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine also had a stammer or low miss when I bought her also had a annoying backfire on deacceleration I checked the valves, new plug and ran some seafoam thru her it was better but still missed and backfired then I cleaned the throttle body and now no more backfire and runs like a champ. Good luck you will have lots of good times.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Clean the idle adjustment screw!
See Pre-2007 Burgman threads on the subject.
Welcome and Good Luck!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi, just bought a 2010 AN400 K9 and it runs fine but has a judder at low speeds, or pulling away. Any ideas guys?
My 2013 at 1k miles started to get that judder at low speeds, or pulling away. I remembered reading that this problem is often caused by the clutch shoes being glazed. SO what I did was to apply both brakes while at rest, and then I grabbed a handful of throttle and gassed it for 3-4 seconds. Then when I stopped the powerbrake, I could smell a little "clutch-bake", which is indicative of the clutch burning off some of the surface mat'l. That took care of the problem. Try it and see if that helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You guys are all depressing...

OK, what is sea foam, I hope NOT the real sea foam.

As for the valves, I hope I do not have to work like my old 54 VW Beetle. I have 10K Miles on my 2011 Burgy, and have not done the reeds yet. My Burgy runs great, except tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts