Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question thats probably been asked a million times but here goes.In the next 2 weeks or so i will be looking at scooters.At the present time don't laugh but i have a linhai turista 300 and a suzuki intruder 1500.due to surgery on my knee i have not been able to ride for about a year.I feel a little bit more comfortable on a scooter.A dealer has a 2007 burgman 400 for 3000 with 5300 miles on it would this be a good buy and how well would it do if i rode 300 to 500 miles on it sometimes.Are there any problems for that model year i should watch out for?Thanks in advance and hope i did not babble to much in asking the questions.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've got a 2008 and have many 200, 300 mi. and a 500 mi. day. It was very comfortable. However, I have no doubt the 650 would be more comfortable.

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the present time i don't have 650 money.I prefer the 400.Because the dealer said he also had a 2002 honda silverwing for about the same price.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I can tell you the 400 is a great bike. I've only had mine a couple of months but I've put 3,000 mi. on it and ridden some long days. Recently I did an overnight camping where I did well over 600 mi.

While $3,000 may be a good deal depending on the bike, I probably would shop around a bit more. I paid $2,650 for my 2008 with almost new tires. You should really check the tires. Even if they don't have a lot of miles they should be be changed in 5-7 years. If the bike you're looking at has the original tires, I don't think the $3,000 price tag would be a good deal.

John

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
2007 was the first year of the new model and it has some bugs that Suzuki worked out in the 08+ years; namely a three shoe clutch that went to a five shoe and a muffler connector that got a bit larger on the new models. They also changed the headlights and a couple other things, but they're perfectly serviceable.

It's not that you have to replace the clutch and connector immediately, just that you may have to do it sooner depending on how you ride and load the bike. My 07 clutch was replaced at 5k miles. My 08 replacement clutch lasted 28k. But my experience is atypical from what I've read. Most 07 clutches to last longer.

Between that and the very old tires, $3k would concern me. Personally I'd look for an 08+ model, unless the 07 is that beautiful blue like mine. Those are hard to find.

Once you get it sorted out however, the burgman 400 is a fantastic machine. It will gladly ride you all day long very comfortably.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John bailey how could i possibly tell if the tires on there are the original ones.Also for dealers this guy seems to give the best prices.If i need to replace the tires i don't think that would be to expensive.Is there anything else i need to take a close look at?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Tires will run you $110 each, plus 40 for install, so they are expensive. You can buy them on line for a bit cheaper.

With 5300 miles and if they're Bridgestones they're almost certainly the originals. They normally last 10k miles front and back. Go look at a new tire in the shop and compare it to the bikes tires, if the tread is half gone, it's probably 7 year old rubber. Perhaps serviceable, but the amount of safety one is comfortable with is a personal matter.

I had a similar situation when I bought my 650, still had the original tires. I had them checked out by my tire guy and they were fine for the few thousand miles I put on them, but I replaced them a bit ahead of schedule. They nagging voices in ones head are hard to ignore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts