Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 5 feet short. With the Burgman 400, would I be able to reach the ground and stand flat feet? I would love to find a scooter that I can sit on and actually feel safe by having my feet on the ground. So far I have not been able to find anything other than a 49 cc scooter to fit on. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
ShortStuff said:
I am 5 feet short. With the Burgman 400, would I be able to reach the ground and stand flat feet?
It depends on how much of your 5 feet is legs. Assuming you're of normal porportions, you probably will always have trouble with bigger scooters. As the CCs get higher, the engine size gets physically bigger. In scooter design, the engine is somewhere under seat. Make the engine bigger and the seat has to rise.

There are some tricks, but it means customizing a scooter. You can have a custom seat made with less width and a lower spot for your butt. You could put smaller wheels or lower profile tires on. You can wear thick-soled shoes, but then have to clod around when not on the scoot.

Some scoots are stretched out to put the seat lower. Honda Helix is one I can think of. You might want to test-sit on one of those.

Good luck with your quest. IMO everyone should have the same access to fun.

Dave B.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried sitting on the Honda Helix. It was way too big for my short legs. I couldn't come close to the ground. My feet were in the air. I wish there was somethong available for short people to ride. Drivers out there seem to try to run over 49 cc scooters in traffic.

Is it possible to change a Honda Rebel over to an automatic, no clutching??? If so, how do I get it done?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finding the BurgmanUSA site is the first time I heard of the Burgman. I have never been on or seen a Burgman, ... yet. I'm trying to find a dealer in NC that has one. I have tried sitting on the Helix and can not touch the ground with the kick stand off. For me to touch the ground the scooter has to be leaning at a good angle. Then I'm afaid of it falling over and not being able to pick it up again. If the center piece is wide, my ability to touch the ground is even more challenging. Being short is challenging to drive a car even.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
If the Helix is too tall for you, I don't think the Burgman 400 is going to work. The are a couple of motorcycles that are pretty good for short folks. In addition to the Honda Rebel, take a look at the Suzuki Savage. I don't think they are currently in production, but there are late model used ones out there. Converting either of these to automatic transmissions would not be easy. Even if possible, it would be very expensive. You would be better off learning how to ride a standard transmission motorcycle. There are MSF courses available for beginners. We recommend that every new rider take one of these courses. You can learn using one of their bikes, and I believe they do often have Honda Rebels available for training.

·
Registered
806 Posts
My family has had everything from Helix's to late 70's/early 80's Honda 400/450A's (Hondamatics) and the lowest to the ground is the Helix. We even took a 450 and used shorty shocks and lowered the fork but the Helix was still lower.

If a Helix isn't low enough for you, I honestly don't know what would be.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Short Stuff,

I can feel for your situation. What is your leg inseam length? The Suzuki Savage is now called the S50 I believe and is about the lowest sitting bike out there. You might want to take a look at the Vespa 200 or 150. They are light enough to manipulate.

Evelyn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not easy being short. My inseam is 28 inches. I started the MSF class. I managed to get the smallest bike they had, which left me on my toes for the class. Instead of paddling the bike, I got to tip-toe the bike. It was funny now that I look back. On the second class, I managed to not understand the instructor. I asked him to clarify the instructions but everyone took off and left me standing. Since I didn't understand what to do at the turn, I was totally confused. I managed to have an accident in the safety class and broke my wrist clear through both bones. Oh, by the way that was on April Fool's Day. Ha, ha, ha,.... Even today, I cannot regain the use of my hand back. Needless to say, I can't clutch now. Which now brings me to scooters. I never got to finish the MSF class. I got the 49 cc scooter that can't get up my driveway. I have to paddle that home each time. I may have to look into 3 wheelers next. Thank you everyone. Maybe I'm not suppose to be on a bike. It's just not easy being short!!! If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks. Hope riding everyone. I'm envious.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Shortstuff, where in N.C are you from? If your inseam is 28 I would think a Helix would work. My inseam is only 29-30 and I can flat foot it on a 400 which is taller than the Helix. Suggest you relook at it. I have a line on a Helix with low miles on it if it hasn't been sold..

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I really, truly feel for you...

Since you've already had one accident trying to overcome your height handicap, with apparently permanent effects, I'd really, _really_ consider either going to a trike or giving up biking entirely. Motorcycling/scootering can be _lethal_, something that is awfully easy to forget at times, and personally I'd have to say that trying to make poorly-fitting bikes work for you is probably a good way to get yourself hurt again, or worse. Sometimes reality sucks, but it has to be faced nonetheless. I'd certainly look into some of the smaller Italian and Chinese scooters, but I don't hold out much hope for them.

There's no future in taking chances with this stuff; it's dangerous enough already! For what it's worth, as a very large and heavy man I have some equipment troubles in this sport, too. My sympathy is very real

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If you can handle a 50cc scooter, you might want to go back and look at what's available now. My Yamaha dealer was lamenting the change in a state law... no longer is 50cc the limiting description for non-licensed "mopeds". Makers are getting much more HP out of 50cc, so the law was changed to a HP measurement. You'll find soe 50cc scooters/bikes out there with LOTS more power than you remember.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Hey shortstuff, in my opinion, I think trikes and outriggers are cool! You still get the great motorcycle experience, the great gas milage, the companionship, and all else without as much physical strain! Check into it - I bet you'll find a lot of ppl here (like scooter_mom) in this forum that have done the very same thing.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
ShortStuff,

Like has been mentioned before, you need to relook at the 400 and make sure that it is off centerstand. A couple of options to make it more usable for shorter riders: Adjust the buttstop to a forward position. A 'nose job' on the seat to make it narrower, and boots with thicker soles. If these options don't help, you can use a trike kit from TowPac on the Burgman.

The 'Minitrike kit is from TowPac and more info is available at :
http://www.tow-pacinc.com/burgmanpage.htm

One discussion (of a few) of the trike kits are on the forums at :
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2268

And here's a gallery page with one forum member's 400 :
http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Southern-California

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I loved the trike pix. I have to look into this idea more. This might be a good and safer alternative to not being able to ride at all. I have always wanted to be able to ride on my own and not look at the back of someone's helmet as a passenger. The Trike might be my answer. I may not know much about a Burgman or any other scooter out there, but I'm willing to learn. I would like to be able to ride on my own before I can't due to ... age, health, or whatever life has is store for me. I'm going to find out more about what a Silverwing is too. I'm new to this scootering stuff, and loving it more now. I really appreciate all your help and ideas. I'm going to look into this Trike thing further. There may be hope for me yet!!! Thanks bunches. :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
ShortStuff,

You've already made one really good decision .... coming to this forum. ;) There's several very knowledgeable people here that'll give you (only slightly biased) information on maxi-scooters. If you have any questions (ie on the TowPac), just post them and someone will chime in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Too Short?

Hi Shortstuff,
I am also 5' tall and have a 26" inseam. I now ride a Vino 50 and with the tires I installed, it's over 29". I have no trouble with it wearing thick soled Harley boots. I am buying a Burgman 400 next week. The seat is only 27" and is the shortest of ANY scooter of any size that I have looked into including the 150s and 125s. I'll bet you can manage it.
Fellow shortie :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
28' ???

I'm 5'6" with a 28 inch inseam and ride a Scarabeo 150 with a 31' seat height
quite confortably and safely. One day I'd like a Burgman 400 and although the lower seat height would be nice, it is somewhat down the list of the appealing factors. A little practice under controlled circumstances may give you the skills and confidence you are after.

Paul

·
Registered
14 Posts
Short Too!

ShortStuff said:
I loved the trike pix. I have to look into this idea more. This might be a good and safer alternative to not being able to ride at all. I have always wanted to be able to ride on my own and not look at the back of someone's helmet as a passenger. The Trike might be my answer. I may not know much about a Burgman or any other scooter out there, but I'm willing to learn. I would like to be able to ride on my own before I can't due to ... age, health, or whatever life has is store for me. I'm going to find out more about what a Silverwing is too. I'm new to this scootering stuff, and loving it more now. I really appreciate all your help and ideas. I'm going to look into this Trike thing further. There may be hope for me yet!!! Thanks bunches. :)
I I too am short, 5'1 and have the same problem. I bought the 400 S but believe I should have done more research. You don't want to get one too small for traffic, but it is best not to get one at all if you are not comfortable. I am having second thought altogether and wish I had researched trikes more. I am either going to sell my 400 S or make it into a trike. I don't feel that safe on a two wheel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts