Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my burgman and have almost 1300 miles on it. My hubby wants to install some led lights on the license plate bracket..but is not sure how to get to the wiring. Also not sure about which wires go to where. He is great with electrical stuff but doesnt want to mess anything up. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this. He also would like to install an led tail light. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Trish :wink:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
This is where the service manual is worth it's weight in gold. I just got one off of eBay for $36, a printed copy of very high quality, I strongly suggest you get one, where ever you can. I went the eBay route because new from a dealer is over $50.

Where did you get the license plate frame & LED tailight? How much were they, if I may ask, please?

·
Registered
611 Posts
What looks lik just a red reflector between the tailights on the 400 is actually another tail light that has no bulb or wiring to it. I added an LED light intothat on my wife's 400 - and it came out really nice.

I think I got to it by removing the panel below them, but I'm not sure. I think I had the panel above also removed at the time.

The center piece has modlings where a bulb fixture was supposed to go, and the lens is gled on really well. You can either carefully pry the lens off and then cut a little hole in the housing to route the wires out - or just cut a bigger hole in the back and stuff an LED pod inside. I pried it apart because she wanted me to put in a row of LED's - but I've used the pods on other bikes and would recommend that route. I put red LED's into Ann's, and it makes the center light a deep red that contrasts the tailights, that are more of an amber color. You may want to put one yellow or amber pod into it for the driving light, and a red one in as a brake light. You can reach the wires easily once you remove the plastic below the taillights...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Led License frame bolt lights

The lights that my husband bought are led license frame bolt lights. He managed to get the tail light lenses off but there is no space for him to get his hands inside. Considering he has large hands it makes it literally impossible. Hes gonna try to figure it out tonight...hopefully. He bought the lights at the auto parts store and would like to make the bike more visible. Thanks for all the postings...I will have him take a look at them when he gets home from work.

Trish 8)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hey Trish,
the license plate bolt lights are not very bright because they are only a single led in each one. You can get to the wires without removing the taillights by removing the plastic piece underneath them and reaching in/up. You can remove the connector that way also, and dropping that down will give you more of the wires to work with. :)

You can check how bright the lights are before mounting them by touching their bare wires to the respective battery terminals. I bought a set of the license plate bolt led lights to use on my Zuma - but didn't think they were bright enough to be worth mounting. Your results may vary - but I'd suggest you look at them before mounting them...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: Burgman 400...wanting to install led license plate light

Thought about doing one of those LED Frames myself...

Found some nice ones here...though Pricey...

Motorcycle License Plate Frame - Custom Dynamics

http://www.customdynamics.com/licenseplates_index.htm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D Well we got the led's installed and they look great. Once we can figure out how to post the pictures on here we will so everyone can learn from what we did. If you need the pictures before then let me know and we can e-mail them to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts