I was at the local Suzuki dealer ordering a new helmet and they have a
Burgman 400 on the sales floor. The salescritter said they'd be willing
to take my Reflex as a tradein so I might maybe could possibly swing the
additional expense if I wanted to.

My main reason for considering the Burgman is that the Reflex tops out
at 75-80 mph. That's enough to cruise with traffic on the local
interstates, but there's nothing left for emergency acceleration. OTOH,
with that single exception I'm completely happy with the Reflex. I use
it for around-town and longer trips, up to 400 miles or so 1-way.

So I'd like to hear from Burgman owners. How does it stack up? Comfort,
acceleration, top speed, gas mileage, quality, reliability,
dealer/service experiences, etc. Bonus points if you've also ridden or
owned a Reflex and can compare the two.

Thanks!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well I think if you can swing it then be all means. The Honda Reflex is a 250 and the Suzuki Burgman is a 400. Big difference ... to you can expect to top out at around 90-95 mph. Most important, the Suzuki will feel like its a little more relaxed at highway speed. I use mine for mostly city commuting and have the need for the odd highway run. It seems quite comfortable at 55-65 mph but its engine is working.

I looked at both models when I attended the Seattle bike show in January/04 and to be perfectly honest, the Honda doesn't have the "fit and finish" I like. It appeared rather dated...like and old American car. The Suzuki has lots of nice features. Large storage, power source, glove compartments, fuel injection and many others. The time for the bigger sized scooters is here and now. You will have no regrets.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
ToooooMuchCoffeeMan said:
So I'd like to hear from Burgman owners. How does it stack up? Comfort,
acceleration, top speed, gas mileage, quality, reliability,
dealer/service experiences, etc. Bonus points if you've also ridden or
owned a Reflex and can compare the two.
I've never owned a Reflex, but was considering buying one till I found the Burgman. As for comfort, it a great bike with 2 exceptions. The windshield is too short for me. Needs to be replaced with a Givi or a Clearview (not yet available for the 400). The seat is comfortable, but the 'backrest' needs to go back further. I'm pulling the backrest completely off and going to try it. Other riders have said it's a much better ride that way.

Acceleration is adaquate. I would prefer to have a little bit more (don't we always) and may eventually get the 650 when the Executive model is available in the USA. Top speed I've had my 400 at is about 85 and still had a little bit left. Anything over 70 and the 400 lopes up in speed. At the lower end, I always leave cages at the lights.

I have just over 1000 miles on my 400 and getting a consistant 60 MPG with a mix of city and 2 lane roads. Being a 'new toy', I still ride it pretty hard. :) The fit and finish of the Burgman is great. As I have only owned mine for a short time, can't speak to reliability. But all of the research I did before purchase suggested it's a very reliable bike. First service was a bit more expensive ($220) than I thought it would be. I'll probably be doing all the regular service myself in the future.

All in all, I like the 400. I think it's an exceptional commuter/city bike. I will be getting the 650 eventually as it's more suited to the Interstate driving I need for commuting (84 miles each way) to work.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I will go along with everything Billmeeks said (except upgrading) , I have about 4500 miles on my 400 now with only one problem, the knob for the parking brake fell off, but 8 dollars fixes that.
I do a lot of highway 70+ and being a heavy weight my mpg is down around 56. :(
like Billmeek I did a lot of "looking" the reflex is a good scoot, the Burgman is just better 8)
Last point -at 70 the 400 still has just enought left to pass. :!:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't own an AN400, but do own a 2003 AN650 and a 2001 Reflex. I also ride with a group with multiple Reflex owners and one AN400 rider. The acceleration difference is significant between the Honda 250 and Suzuki 400, yet the fuel economy is not. The load capacity of the 400 is a good 100+ pounds greater than the 'Flex, plus the top end speed will give you greater ability to pass others at highway speed.

I really enjoy my little red Reflex and find it a fine one-up commuter scoot and my the Burgman 650 for two-up touring. If I had to have only one maxiscooter, the Burgman 400 would be the most likely one for me.

Hope that helps you decision process.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Minnimax is right. Comparing the AN400 to the Reflex 250 is not comparing like with like. If you want what is in my opnion the best looking big scooter out there then you have to get the Reflex. If you want to get the best wet weather big-scooter, it has to be the Reflex ABS. If you want to get the best allrounder that can carry two people whilst not losing much in straight line speed, and carry 55litre of luggage, it has to be the AN400.

I bought and use my Reflex 250 for the daily commute - rain or shine - so ABS is more important to me than whether I can fit two helmets under the seat or not (it can't, but the AN250/400 can). If you want more oomph and want to carry stuff, your choice is pretty simple - AN400. However, bare in mind that the 400 big scoots outperform the 250s in a straight line, but top whack isn't that much different. Neither are geared for over takes at 75mph. Suzuki and Honda have their AN650 and SW600 for that respectively.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I agree that the Reflex is a great looking scooter. When I went shopping for the Burgman, one dealer had a yellow '03 Reflex on the floor. I remember thinking how cool it would look sitting next to my yellow V-Strom. But I was pretty sure that I would become frustrated with 250cc power on the wide open roads out here.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If the main reason you wish to move up in size is for highway travel, in particular passing at higher than posted speeds, then you have to go bigger. So if you can afford it, you might want to consider just jumping right to the 650 instead of the 400 because it will easily satisfy your need.
I jumped from the Honda 250 Elite to the Burgman 650

·
Registered
368 Posts
I agree. I moved from the Reflex to the 650. I almost bought the 400 before getting the Reflex. Glad I got used to riding on the smaller bike.

By that time, I was so ready for the 650. It used to look so huge to me, know its rather small. I'm awating the time when the 650 is the small scooter on the block.

·
Registered
270 Posts
burgman vs. reflex

I agree the reflex is a great scoot. Very durable, & good looking. However i'll give you a road story. One night i was coming home from a town abouth 25 miles north of us. My son was on he's reflex And i on my Burgman 400. We got behind a truck on 540 interstate. The the truck was going around 70 or 75 mhp. With the high wind my son was in front of me. He had a heck of a time just trying to go around. :roll: Meanwhile back in the main part of the turblance. I sit back and looked on. :roll: I was getting beat to death by the wind the truck was kicking up. I think the driver finaly had mercy on the poor scoot and let him by. When he finaly cleared the truck. I shot the gas to that 400, around that truck i went. I blew by him and the reflex. :D Moral of the stroy, my 400 still had a lot of guts to do what i wanted and needed to do at the time. I have since move up to 650 and my wife rides the 400. I won't ever go back again. :D As the 400 is to reflex so is the 650 is to the 400. The main advanage the 400 over the 650 is mpg. My wife gets on every tank around 10 to 15 miles per gal. better than i. :( But i have more power and i think the heavier scoot just handles better. Good luck on your choice and happy rideing.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I've had both....01 Reflex, recently traded for a 400, now with 4K on it.

The 400 gives me just what I wanted: a bit more power, speed when I needed it, better handling in turns, and milage is about the same. Longest I've ridden in one day is about 200+ miles. My butt won't take much more...but a bigger bike wouldn't solve that either. Being a super-senior I guess the rear end is just getting too old. The thing up on my shoulder won't let me quit. :lol:

I run interstate a lot, at 7K rpm or higher, and it handles the turbulance better than the Reflex also.

If you gonna want to do a lot of long hauls, go for the 650. Otherwise jump on the 400....you'll be glad you did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts