Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Since I own both scooters, I've been answering a lot of questions from folks interested in a comparison. One thing in my fact-finding has proven most interesting.

One gent asked me what the GVWR of the Burgman was vs. the Majesty. In his words:

The weight of gas, oil, coolant and other fluids all need to be added to the dry weight. This weight is then subtracted from the gross vehicle weight to get the useful load weight or carrying capacity. The gross vehicle weight is what the manufacturer designed the vehicle to carry. It also may have to do with the tires.

I'm sure many people ignore the GVW just as tire pressure is ignored. Dunlap tire did a check of tire pressures at a Gold Wing rally. 70% were under-inflated. One only has to look at the way some traveling bikes are loaded. I am quite conscious of the weight as it affects performance, handling and the drive system.

So I dutifully scribbled down all of the information I found and the results are quite interesting:

Suzuki Burgman 400:
GVWR: 860 lbs
GAWR (front): 280 lbs
GAWR (rear): 580 lbs

So what this says is that the total weight of the driver, passengers, fuel, water, oil, equipment, after-market accessories, cargo, and anything else must be 860 lbs or less, and no more than 280 lbs should be on the front axle and no more than 580 pounds should be on the rear axle.

Sounds like quite a capable machine!

Yamaha Majesty:
All I could find was the following:
Max load: 432 lbs (rider, passenger, cargo, accessories)

I imagine that this figure of 432 pounds does not include the weight of fuel, water, oil, coolant, brake fluid, etc... So how much can all of that weigh? 20 pounds? 30 pounds? Let's be generous, and say that all might weigh 30 pounds. That would calculate the Majesty's GVWR to 460 pounds.

WOW! So does that mean that the Burgman 400 can carry over 400 pounds MORE than the Majesty?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yes, GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) includes the weight of the machine.

Subtracting the Burgmans dry weight of 405 lbs and 30 lbs for fuel etc from the GVWR of 860 lbs gives us a load limit of 425 lbs, Very close to that of the Majesty, which doesn't surprise me as the two machines are similar in many respects.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You also have to include the maximum weight that the trunk/givi rack, etc can permit when considering luggage. The 650 can only take 15kg under the seat, no matter how much you can fit in. Similarly, some Givi Monolock top cases (the ones that don’t look like plastic lumps of poo) can only support 3-5kg despite their cavernous 45 litre volume, as the carrier that mounts then to bike can often only support 3-5kgs… The ugly Monokey series mounts directly to the bike and can carry heavier loads, but those that think they have a 100 litres of space to fill with whatever they want need to rethink the situation.

Bungee-ing luggage onto the rear seat in a giant mountain as many long tourers do is a far better way to carry heavy stuff, as the seat is designed to support up to 110kg of human mass – not much luggage weighs 110kg…

There are a lot of factors that people ignore alongside tyre pressure, etc.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me thinks I have to rethink a lot! DOH! :shock: :oops:

Randy said:
I think you may have to rethink a little, the GVWR includes the weight of the bike I think. :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I wonder how many people are overloading their bikes with their ass and their passengers ass and without any luggage!:oops:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
texascycle said:
Who cares??? Which one is faster? :twisted:
What? - which ass? :scratch:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts