Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I was wondering how does the Burgman 400 compare to the Honda Silverwing 600? Some people are praising the Honda SilverWing because of its simplicity vs the Burgman 650. I also have heard the the Burgman 650 has a common failure of the CVT and that it is an extremely costly repair.
Can someone please tell me what are the main issues of the 2007 Burgman 400 and more importantly, would you buy the Honda SilverWing 600 over the Burgman 400?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I like the silverwing. It's a great bike. It's really right in between the 650 and the 400 in terms of performance, comfort,etc.

The one thing against it is fuel economy, and that effects it's range. Whereas the 400 can get 60 mpg and a range of over 200 miles even with bad economy. The silverwing gets 40 or so, limiting its range to 160 miles. It gets closer with the big burg, but even with a slightly bigger tank, the Swing doesn't have the range of the bigger bike and it's 45-50+ mpg.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I like the silverwing. It's a great bike. It's really right in between the 650 and the 400 in terms of performance, comfort,etc.

The one thing against it is fuel economy, and that effects it's range. Whereas the 400 can get 60 mpg and a range of over 200 miles even with bad economy. The silverwing gets 40 or so, limiting its range to 160 miles. It gets closer with the big burg, but even with a slightly bigger tank, the Swing doesn't have the range of the bigger bike and it's 45-50+ mpg.
Doesn't seem like that should be a big issue. On a 1000 mile road trip, you'd have to stop for gas a one, maybe two more times. On a 500 mile road trip, you'd need to stop 3 times with each. Just doesn't seem like that should be the decision point. I'd probably look at it more in terms of size & weight & tire size (stability factors) and power to weight ratio. I don't know how each one comes out on that comparison. I'd also look at whether I was primarily doing in town/city driving vs touring, and factor that in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also have heard the the Burgman 650 has a common failure of the CVT and that it is an extremely costly repair.
A little periodic maintenance will prevent that CVT failure on the Burgman 650. Checking the Stopper Bolt during your oil change session (replace the bolt if necessary) is all that is needed.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The Honda Silverwing IMO is the best of the lot in the Honda scooter line up . With a CVT in the swing arm it feels like a scooter , and you experience that feel on take off . The 650 Burg and the T-max has a totally different set up and feel , much better IMO .

For me the 650 Burg has the best ergonomics , pretty easy to dial in a comfortable seating arrangement . The 650 Burg comfort wise in just about every way imaginable , for me is heads and shoulders above the rest . In the bigger cc scooters the Silverwing would be my 2nd choice , mainly because of the size , weight and power .

For me the body design and overall ergonomics on the Silverwing , the T-max and the 400 Burg SUCK ! I can't get any where near as comfortable as I can on the 650 Burg .

That said after several attempts I was able to modify a Silverwing seat enough to at least make it some what less painful . To do that the passenger area had to be sacrificed , but it is now some what comfortable , but still no where near the 650 comfort wise .

If you click on the picture below you will see what I had to do to the seat to get some room , before it was like I was forced to sit very upright on a concrete park bench . I also removed a lot of the hard foam in the butt area and replaced it with nice soft memory foam , and built from scratch a backrest . I would give the Silverwing high marks for being nimble , having enough power and long term reliability . The rest of it is pretty much a piece of CRAP ! The Silverwing and the 400 Burgman's seats are to small / narrow and to hard in the butt area . While the 650 Burg has just enough in the butt area to make some meaningful modifications .

The 650 Burg is not perfect , but for me it is pretty close and tons better that any thing else that's available .

TheReaper!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
^^^ Very interesting, that's the 'strongest' claim I heard of the 650 being more comfortable then the 400, usually it's just that it has more power.
I wish I would've just bought the 650, it was 0% financing anyway. I like my 400, but the clutch chatter, clutch maintenance and sore butt are my biggest turn offs. The 650 sounds like these problems are non exsistant. I guess everyone's butt is different, but if it rides better then the 400, that has to help.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Mike -- have you tried to do anything to cure the shudder? My only complaint is that i have to service the clutch too often, but when serviced no way would i exchange the bike for the 650

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I find the 400 seat more comfortable personally.

The Silverwing is a nice bike, it feels more exposed to the elements than my B400 because the dash and fairing are lower/narrower

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Yes, I clean up and scuff up my clutches and it's nice and smooth, but only for a month or two. According to Quantum mechanic on here, I was not properly sanding/scuffing, so next time I'm going to pay closer attention to his way of doing it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Doesn't seem like that should be a big issue. On a 1000 mile road trip, you'd have to stop for gas a one, maybe two more times. On a 500 mile road trip, you'd need to stop 3 times with each. Just doesn't seem like that should be the decision point. I'd probably look at it more in terms of size & weight & tire size (stability factors) and power to weight ratio. I don't know how each one comes out on that comparison. I'd also look at whether I was primarily doing in town/city driving vs touring, and factor that in.
Well I did say the Swing was an awesome bike. Just thought I'd point out one minor problem.

I just couldn't believe the mileage from a sub 600cc engine. My friend sometimes gets as low as 37 on his, whereas I've rarely gotten less than 55 on my 400 and usually it's around 60. He says it really starts gulping when he is pulling 75+ mph. The silverwing is not an economical bike, IMHO.

But if that's not a concern, cool. :cool:

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Which bikes fits you best? I have owned all three bikes. The B650 is heavy, and the transmission doesn't go out as frequently as you may perceive. The Burgman 400 has exhaust leaks between the header pipe and muffler because the gasket goes bad. The Silverwing has less storage than the B400, but has more power. I got about 48-50 MPG on my Silverwing and about 48-63 MPG on the Burgman 400. I got about 48-58 MPG on the B650. I would describe the silverwing as a Burgman 400 with more power and it sits higher. You might also consider the Yamaha Majesty.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The SWing I had would average 50 mpg so I think the person getting 37 mpg must be having a problem with it. Maybe he should check the air filter and plugs. Does he also have the 2002 SWing? The '08 and later came with the O2 sensor and they get better mileage than my 2007. But the OP has the 2007 Burgman and a 2008 SWing so his SWing should get over 50 mpg. I also told him on my site to determine if his 2007 Burgman has the clutch problem that some here had because his only has about 900 miles on it so I said he may want to find out if his has a clutch problem. He only plans to put 400-500 miles a year on it and not ever tour and I said the B400 gets better mpg's so that may be his best choice, if his B400 doesn't have the clutch problem.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have ridden both and like them both a lot. The Silverwing has more power for passing at highway speeds and is slightly more stable in cross winds.
I ride a 400 and am satisfied with it and it's performance for my needs and it fits me better. The Sliverwing has a taller seat height similar to the 650 and is too tall for me to be comfortable with. Every Silverwing I've seen has been dropped which I attribute to the too tall seat height. JMHO tho....;)
If my choice was either a 650 or Silverwing I would choose a Silverwing but between a Swing and a 400 the little Burgman wins hands down for me. :D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The SWing I had would average 50 mpg so I think the person getting 37 mpg must be having a problem with it. Maybe he should check the air filter and plugs. Does he also have the 2002 SWing? The '08 and later came with the O2 sensor and they get better mileage than my 2007. But the OP has the 2007 Burgman and a 2008 SWing so his SWing should get over 50 mpg. I also told him on my site to determine if his 2007 Burgman has the clutch problem that some here had because his only has about 900 miles on it so I said he may want to find out if his has a clutch problem. He only plans to put 400-500 miles a year on it and not ever tour and I said the B400 gets better mpg's so that may be his best choice, if his B400 doesn't have the clutch problem.
Jeff,

I see you have a CTX700/DCT. How do you compare that with your Silverwing, or any Burgman you may have ridden? I am slightly considering the CTX700/DCT, but no dealers in this are will allow test rides. Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Jeff,

I see you have a CTX700/DCT. How do you compare that with your Silverwing, or any Burgman you may have ridden? I am slightly considering the CTX700/DCT, but no dealers in this are will allow test rides. Thanks.
Not to take away from the OP's post, but I really like my CTX. I really enjoyed the 7 years with my SWing, and did many upgrades to it, but really enjoy the CTX more. It is a very smooth bike and it shifts very smooth as well. I have heard posts here where some don't like the CTX DCT at all but I think it is a great bike. Once you get used to the DCT it is very smooth and takes the curves like the bike is on rails. I think getting used to the DCT is like those that go to the B650 and complain about the engine braking, and then are told that you just need to get experience with how it works and then people seem to love the B650. You just need a few miles on the CTX DCT to really begin to appreciate it. One or two tests rides won't do that for you. Here is a site you may want to try : www.ctx700forum.com

There are a few B650 riders on there as well.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Not to take away from the OP's post, but I really like my CTX. I really enjoyed the 7 years with my SWing, and did many upgrades to it, but really enjoy the CTX more. It is a very smooth bike and it shifts very smooth as well. I have heard posts here where some don't like the CTX DCT at all but I think it is a great bike. Once you get used to the DCT it is very smooth and takes the curves like the bike is on rails. I think getting used to the DCT is like those that go to the B650 and complain about the engine braking, and then are told that you just need to get experience with how it works and then people seem to love the B650. You just need a few miles on the CTX DCT to really begin to appreciate it. One or two tests rides won't do that for you. Here is a site you may want to try : www.ctx700forum.com

There are a few B650 riders on there as well.
Thanks much for your opinion. Do you have the CTX with fairing and saddlebags?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the fairing CTX but no saddlebags yet. Believe it or not, the fairing is effective for your body except from the knee down. It doesn't really look like it would do much but it does keep the wind off of your body.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have the fairing CTX but no saddlebags yet. Believe it or not, the fairing is effective for your body except from the knee down. It doesn't really look like it would do much but it does keep the wind off of your body.
Thanks Jeff, much appreciated. A couple of things bother me with the CTX700, the lack of underseat storage, plus the chain drive, since I live on a dirt road!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts