Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just bought a new 2005 Burgman 650 to ride in Washington. It replaced the 1500 Goldwing I have been riding up here for 17 years. I love the new bike and don't see that I have lost anything other than the cruise control and communciations gear by going with the 650. I can tell the 650 has more power and torque than the 400, but have not been in a situation where I needed to use that extra power yet.

Have not used the power mode or manual shift, other than to try them out and see how they work - which is great. I like the engine breaking on the road, but not so much in town. The extra weight and seat height are more cumbersome in town than with the 400, but not a problem. The only problem with the new 650 is that since it has so much torque and no passenger backrest I keep worring about giving it too much throttle and dumping my wife off the back.

I love my 400 and use it in Arizona, where we spend our Winters. I would classify the 400 as a great city bike, which does very well on the highway and the 650 as a great road bike, which does very well in the city. The 400 is definately easier to manuver and gets about 12 miles per gal better milage. Getting about 50 on the 650 and 62 on the 400. I also like the looks of the 400 better than the 650 - I guess that is where you guys get the svelt and lardy designations. I also tried out the Majesty 400 and like both of my Burgmans better.

I would like to know how much a larger windshild and the GIVI 52 liter trunk would impact both milage and crosswind stability on the 650. I know many of you have installed these items, and would like to know what your experience has been in these areas.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Congratulations on the new Burgman 650 Terry.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Terry:

I have the E52 and Clearview xl with vent. My mileage is between 47 and 52mpg. The bike is rock stable and highway speeds. I always try to load the "heavy" stuff under the seat as I can notice a slight tail wag when putting heavy things in the GIVI.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Edwljoseph said:
Terry:

I have the E52 and Clearview xl with vent. My mileage is between 47 and 52mpg. The bike is rock stable and highway speeds. I always try to load the "heavy" stuff under the seat as I can notice a slight tail wag when putting heavy things in the GIVI.
Thanks for the information. Do you have a picture of the bike with the aftermarket windshield and trunk? Do you have a passenger backrest pad on the GIVI trunk, and if so is it solid enough for a person to lean back against? That sounds like a dumb question (and it probably is), but it looks like there is just a small plastic area on which to mount the trunk behind the passenger seat. Does the trunk release from the mounting bracket? Do you have a light on the backrest?

Also, I have looked on the Clearview web site and have not been able to find a windshield for the Burgman 650, can you give me the link to see the Clearview XL with the vent?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Terry,

The Clearview website hasn't been updated in a LONG time. If you go to the gallery link above, there's several pictures of the Clearview shields on a 650.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Terry, I have a Clearview XXL (W/O vent) on my '04 650 and my mileage still averages about 50 - 52 mpg in local riding. On an 1,100 mile trip last week I averaged 50.9 mpg. The trip was mostly 2 lane state roads with about 200 - 250 miles of Interstates (and a lot of rain).
I don't have a travel trunk but I did have a large travel bag on the passenger's seat with another bag strapped to the top of the seat bag and passenger's backrest where it did stick up somewhat into the airstream. Last Monday we rode through an area on NY 209, just north of Port Jarvis, NY, where they had a tornado warning and extremely high winds. (We even had a large tree blow down on the road minutes before we got there and we had to sit for about an hour while crews moved the tree). The Burgman was very stable and wasn't blown around any more than the BMW R1150RT and two '05 'Wings that were following me.

Don

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Terry Eade said:
Do you have a passenger backrest pad on the GIVI trunk, and if so is it solid enough for a person to lean back against? That sounds like a dumb question (and it probably is), but it looks like there is just a small plastic area on which to mount the trunk behind the passenger seat. Does the trunk release from the mounting bracket? Do you have a light on the backrest?
I should have uploaded a complete 'How to'pic by now but have not - sorry folks.
But Terry let me assure you the Givi mount is 'solid' it fixes through the plastic to the bike frame and is anchored to it by three solid bolts.

In the meantime my as yet incomplete 'How to'

The three fixing bolts are front and centre of the first pic (with the spacing sleeves).

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clearview Windshield

When I go to the Clearview web site and click on products it only lists six Suzuki bikes that they make a windshield for and the Burgman 650 is not one of them. Also under the custom section they will tailor make a windshield for you, but only for those bikes which are listed in the products page. What am I missing here? There are certainly a lot of clearview windshields referred to on the Burgman site, where do I find them and how much do they cost?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Terry,

Either pick up the phone and call them at 800-798-6089 or email them at [email protected] and they'll be happy to help you out. If you provide them your height and inseam, they'll also make recommendations as to which size shield you need.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Terry

Do you still own all of the bikes listed in your signature or does that refer to all the bikes you've ever owned ?

Just curious (nosy)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JerseyBiker said:
Terry

Do you still own all of the bikes listed in your signature or does that refer to all the bikes you've ever owned ?

Just curious (nosy)
I just traded in the 1988 Goldwing 1500 with a color matched trailer on the Burgman 650, so now just have the two Burgmans. The 650 in Washington and the 400 in Arizona. I traded in a 1997 Honda Magna 750 (V4) on the Burgman 400 in January. Usually just have two bikes at one time. I should probably shorten my signiture block, but find it interesting what kind of bikes people rode before they started riding Burgmans.

In fact if you took the Helix and the Goldwing and put them in a blender you would probably end up with a Burgman 400 and 650. As I mentioned in a previous post, I think the Burgman scooters combine the best attributes of all the other bikes I have ever owned and I've been riding them since I was 13, which was 50 years ago. I think that these two scooters are more fun and, at the same time, more practicle, than any other bikes I have ever owned. I have also heard that statement from other life long riders who have also owned a wide cross section of bikes over the years.

These scooters will enable those of us who refuse to give up riding a much longer time in the saddle than if we continued to try and keep riding half ton bikes when we are old enough to draw social security.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts