Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... 6500 is a good price for the Burgman and its kind of what I was looking for but you are too far away. I'm in SE iowa... wonder if you would answer a question though. I have had 2 650's and they have had counterbalanced engines which makes them very smooth for this tired body. The 400 is a single which probably has some vibration. Is it fairly noticeable like images in the rear view mirrors are somewhat blurred! I'm selling a 09 Honda DN-01 with only 2000 miles on it. Just doesn't get much use with my Harley on the road most of the time. Dale

[Edit by moderator - Split topic from a Classified ad to make its own topic and get a better answer.]

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2007 Burgman 400 with 8500Km on it. It only vibrates to the point where the images are blurred in the mirrors at very low RPMs, like when it's idling. As soon as you hit 4000 RPMs or more it's very smooth and the images in the mirrors are clear, especially the women :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Yup there is a low speed chug a chug.
But smooth once you are over 45 or so.
Really smooth at 80 or 90 :D
Astonishing how capable this 24 cubic inch aluminum slug is. Holds a speed better than my Saturn, on the highway. :)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Raoul The Great said:
I have a 2007 Burgman 400 with 8500Km on it. It only vibrates to the point where the images are blurred in the mirrors at very low RPMs, like when it's idling. As soon as you hit 4000 RPMs or more it's very smooth and the images in the mirrors are clear, especially the women :lol: :lol:
REMEMBER - It is not a Goldwing......flat 6................ :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Dale M Ludwig1 said:
Hi... 6500 is a good price for the Burgman and its kind of what I was looking for but you are too far away. I'm in SE iowa... wonder if you would answer a question though. I have had 2 650's and they have had counterbalanced engines which makes them very smooth for this tired body. The 400 is a single which probably has some vibration. Is it fairly noticeable like images in the rear view mirrors are somewhat blurred! I'm selling a 09 Honda DN-01 with only 2000 miles on it. Just doesn't get much use with my Harley on the road most of the time. Dale

[Edit by moderator - Split topic from a Classified ad to make its own topic and get a better answer.]

Ummm you are selling a DN-01...is it still for sale? Where is it listed if so? I have a friend interested and I have toyed with the idea as well.

My 400 is never going anywhere though...well other than when it dies a long slow death under my Lard a$$. 15K miles this year :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
How far does everyone travel before they get vibration numbness in their right hands?
I seem to be able to go 30 minutes, but at that point I get uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Could it be that your right hand gets numb from twisting the throttle and not from vibration?

Bill

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
thegoatboy said:
How far does everyone travel before they get vibration numbness in their right hands?
I had the same problem but now find that Grip Puppies, riding gloves and, for longer trips a Cramp Buster together allow me to ride all day long without hand numbness.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
thegoatboy said:
It could be that you have carpal tunnel syndrome. My hands got worse over time. The cause was typing, but one place it would show up is when riding. I lean slightly forward in a "sport touring" position and so some weight is always on my hands. The pressure point is about where the carpal tunnel is. The numbness was so bad in my right hand that it would be totally asleep; not fun when you don't feel either the throttle or front brake when you're in heavy morning traffic at 60 mph. After the surgery, all is well. I had the surgery in April, if I remember correctly. In June, I rode a SS1000 for 20 hours with no problems. I have the left hand scheduled for the first week in December.

You might want to look for Grip Puppies. They are an inexpensive, but good foam handlebar cover. Many of us use them and like them.

Chris

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I never get it on the Burgman but strangely used to after about a hour on
a BMW R850R I had and that was as smooth as silk, maybe just that there
is a frequency your hand does not like, a pair of foam grips maybe? or bar end
weights of a different weight.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
thegoatboy said:
I don't think it has anything to do with vibrations. I've had over a dozen bikes or scooters and I have gotten the numbness in all of them after a while. Some vibrated and some were very smooth (BMW K75, V45 Honda Magna, etc). I think it is the constant holding of the throttle grip and maybe a touch of carpal tunnel. The electronic cruise control on my newest BMW motorcycle is the only solution that has worked for me.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Remember not to grip the handlebar grips too tightly. I found many moons ago that most of us do it at some point in our ride and we don't always realise it. It then can show up as numbness and dead fingers. Just check yourself on this and make a definite thing to relax your grip. The bike goes better and so do you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Regarding numbness, check the angle of the handlebar. Bought my 400 in July and rode to Ohio. By the time I made it, my wrists were numb. The handlebar was angled up too much. I reset it and found riding bliss. :)

Burger 400 vibes are nothing compared to my 05 Concours. When the valves weren't spot on, or the FOUR carbs were not synched, WOW.
This Burger is a gem! It cruises at 80 smooth as silk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

I'll look into the grip puppies.

I used to get some numbness with my old Pegaso, but the Burgman is worse than that and a lot worse than my old Piaggio X9-500.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Another thought just occurred to me. Your bike has 12,000 miles on it. When was the last time the variator was cleaned out?

The variator or front pulley on the CVT, has weights in the inside that move in tracks. That whole area gets clogged up with dust that fills those tracks making the weights move out unevenly. That alone will cause vibration. And if the roller weights inside get flat spots on them, that will also cause vibration.

It would be worth opening that area up and cleaning things out. If you've never done it, we have tutorials here and videos that Mitch (micbergsma) has made that will show you how to do it. And if you've been taking your bike to the dealership for maintenance, don't expect they will have done any cleaning in there. They will do the absolute least amount of work to take your money.

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's been like this from the start.

Sorry the mileage should be a bit less as it's 12,000km. Forgot to convert. But, I will have a look at the variator the next time I have decent weather on a day off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts