Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im new to the Burgman and I just bought a 2003 400 with 6700 miles runs really well I have a question about the rpm range it takes off around 2700 rpm stays locked in till I hit 55 then it seems to jump up to 8000+ rpm until I let of the throttle then it runs normal. Hard to explain but above 55 it seems to rev really high until I reach the desired speed and I let off the throttle then the clutch locks in but below 55 it seems to be locked in :confused: Going to check the drive belt tomorrow to see if its in spec.

·
Premium Member
14,253 Posts
Given the gear ratios in the CVT on the 400 I don't see how you can be running 2700 rpm at 55 mph. That makes me suspect you have a problem with the tach not reading right.

If you are running stock weights and springs then in general at highway speeds you will be running at 1000 rpm for each 10 mph give or take a couple of hundred rpm for belt condition. In other words you will be running 5500 rpm at 55 and 6000 rpm at 60. On a new belt that will be about 300 rpm less and on a well worn belt 200 rpm more (5700 at 60 new, 6200 at 60 well worn).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Given the gear ratios in the CVT on the 400 I don't see how you can be running 2700 rpm at 55 mph. That makes me suspect you have a problem with the tach not reading right.

If you are running stock weights and springs then in general at highway speeds you will be running at 1000 rpm for each 10 mph give or take a couple of hundred rpm for belt condition. In other words you will be running 5500 rpm at 55 and 6000 rpm at 60. On a new belt that will be about 300 rpm less and on a well worn belt 200 rpm more (5700 at 60 new, 6200 at 60 well worn).
Guess what im trying to describe is it takes off around 2700 rpm and at 55 it is indeed running right around 5500 rpm but when I open the throttle wide open it revs to around 8700 and takes off but when im under 55 mph it just takes off and doesn't rev real high ?? hope this kinda helps describe my problem or lack of.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It will rev higher when accelerating but 8700 seems crazy high. I can't ride right this minute but I will try it on mine and see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At 55 mph it's 5150 rpm and at 65 mph it's 6200 rpm but at 55 and below the clutch stays engaged at wot but at 55 and above it revs real hi then takes off not for sure if this is normal.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
No that is not normal especially if the revs go to 8700.

I tested mine and while cruising at 55mph indicated I then give it full throttle it revs up to 6000. If I am cruising at 60mph then rev it it goes a little higher. I have to be running at 70mph plus to get the revs over 6200 and then only with the throttle fully open. You need to open up your CVT and see what is going on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help I took it down today checked both clutches and everything looked like new. The belt has 6800 mile but all city miles from the previous owner and its the original 2003 belt. I figure I would take some emery cloth and deglaze the belt to see if it changed any and it did now it works like it should now to order a new drive belt.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Deglaze the clutch pads as well. They're usually the culprit.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Old rubber can get very hard and hard rubber doesn't grip like it should. I bet the belt was slipping partially from the glaze and partially from being old. You solved one half of it and made it work better, once you get a new belt it will be even better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts