Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there. I presently have about 7400 miles on my 03 400. Alot of those have been freeway miles, trips, etc, and starting at about 3000 or so miles I noticed more noise coming from the rear driven pulley at idle. The scoot works fine and I've changed the trans oil with the old stuff looking very clean. I believe its the bearings that are in the pulley itself, one being a needle bearing and the other a ball bearing sealed on one side, cause when you spin the rear wheel while idling on the center stand much of the noise goes away. The noise is more pronounced when cold and when I asked a service person about it he informed me that it was a common noise on the 400s. Its almost like those bearings didn't have enough grease at assembly, since thats all they receive until it comes apart at some future service. Anybody else notice this on there 400s,if so drop me a reply or email about yours. My warranty is good to october so i'm just driving it for now to see if it will get worse and thinking about taking it apart to satisfy my own curiosity. Tom

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Tclark, with 3000 miles on my 400 I have begun to notice a chattery/clattery sort of sound at running speeds. Sounds more like it coming from the clutch/variator area. I think it likely that my ear has become more attuned to sounds other than the engine, and I seem to recall that my previous Reflex had a similar "noise". Like you, I'm still under warranty and won't worry about it unless it gets worse.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
400 rear end noise

Hi Ted, The noise you describe is the same thing that mine makes only I only hear mine when at idle, in otherwards the engine is running but only fast enough to spin the rear pulley and not really fast enough to engage the clutch shoes to really spin the rear wheel. When this happens I can take my hand and spin the rear wheel and much of the noise goes away. I think by doing this I cause the input shaft of the transmission to spin at the same speed as the driven pulley and not having to rely on those bearings to seperate the speed difference between the two. If my noise gets much louder I'm going to see if the dealer will investigate it otherwise I'll just get the shop manual out and do it myself, like yourself I still have warranty time left so there is no hurry and it seems to work fine otherwise. Tom Clark

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Tom, thanks for input. If you do find that there is a problem keep us informed.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Noises??? Yeah I hear them as well and I owned a Riva 200 automatic and it made the same kinda noise after a few thousand Kms. I think there are lots of parts in the auto tranny that bed in and start to loosen up after a break in. There are lots of parts (therefore mass) to the automatic and spinning them around probably results in some of the parts slapping each other.

Could it be the variator weights or the clutch basket? You should hear the dry clutch on a Ducati or my Moto Guzzi. Unless the noise is very excessive I think you are going to have to get used to it. I think its part and part of the design. A dry clutch is noisey. I hope this comforts you in knowing others hear the same as you. Timothy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
400 rear end noise

Thanks for the input Tim, I think you might be right about the noise although I would like to hear some other 400s with about the same amount of miles. It has seemed to level off for now and if nothing changes with it maybe this fall when it starts getting colder I'll take it apart and inspect it. If I pin down the noise and can correct it I'll let every one know. Tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm getting the same noise. It happens when scooting along and then throttle down to idle while the bike is still moving. It sounds like a metallic chattery/clangy/chain sound. Hmmm... Wonder if it's bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
400 rear end noise

Hi Cincnorad, My noise is definitely at idle. I removed both outer and inner pulley covers the other day and changed the trans oil again. Could not find anything unusual, oil clean, and the belt even had several mm's left of wear. Like I said before everything works fine so I'll just keep an eye on it or a ear might work better and keep riding it. Maybe go to VIR this sept for the superbike race and see if Mat can wrap up another championship, weather permitting. Maybe a bunch of us Burgman riders could meet there to show our support. I'll keep everyone posted on the noise and what happens. Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
A rvolutionary idea (or a stupid one)

Would it be possible to record the noise and put it as an MP3 file (including the comments) so members with more experience than me or you can help ? compare noises and may be we can all enjoy the good advices etc.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: A rvolutionary idea (or a stupid one)

Bendi said:
Would it be possible to record the noise and put it as an MP3 file (including the comments) so members with more experience than me or you can help ? compare noises and may be we can all enjoy the good advices etc.
What a brilliant idea - or even dub the mp3 track onto a Britney Spears video clip - we could then have the eye candy but with an interesting noise for a change! :D

Harrumph!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dear Norman will never leave you without an answer....

Hello
Maybe I am to much with the "Hi Teck" business and gadgets but I think that any recording can be better than a description like: Knurch..bluk..or plop. this recording is simple to perform and easy to put on the web.
By tthe way similar methods are used in medical analysis.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Dear Bendi it was not an answer = it was agreement

Hi Bendi

I was having fun.
But I did and do agree it is a good idea. :wink:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Anyone had any success narrowing down this noise? It seems it's all I can hear now when I ride... it's starting to get sort of annoying. I don't mind it so much, except I fear something's getting messed up down there. I feel like it's coming from the left side of the scoot. I only hear when throttling down at running speed. Give it even a bit of gas, and it goes away again. But it's very constant...

·
Registered
65 Posts
It can be from the variator .....

It looks like variator or final drive but I am sure Big Norm will provide you an expert :roll: advice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
400 rear end noise

Hello cincnorad, Tom Clark here. My scoot still makes its noise but I seem to have a different problem then yours, my noise is ONLY at idle and is NOT the front pulley. With the engine off and the machine on the centerstand I can spin the rear wheel and it makes a noise which reminds me of a loose or bad bearing. If I then start the engine and let it idle, rear wheel not turning, the noise is present and i'm pretty sure its related to one of the bearings used in the rear pulley to allow it to spin separate from the shaft that feeds power into the gearbox to drive the rear wheel. The reason I think this is when I apply throttle to cause the rear wheel to spin( about 3000 rpm) the noise goes away because the pulley is now spinning at the same speed as the input shaft. Since this has been going on for awhile and nothing bad has happened yet, I've let it go. I'm making a long weekend this friday to drive the scoot to danville,va for the last superbike race and when and if I get back without any problems I will remove the pulley and i'm pretty sure i'll find something in with the two bearings there. Since those bearings mostly come into play at idle then when your driving down the road I believe thats what has allowed them to go on so long even though they might be less then perfect. I'll be back on the 11th after a round trip of about 1200 miles and I'll let everyone know how it went. wish me luck.
Tom Clark

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds like I am joining in the noise debate now, Im coming up to 8000 now and I am getting a louder exhaust noise and a ratteling sound. When I thump the exhaust it rattles, sounds like the baffles are lose, I will mention it to the dealer at the next service which will be soon. The noise is getting annoying now, so something has got to be done. Does anyone make an after market exhaust for the K3 400? :(

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
phil thunder said:
Does anyone make an after market exhaust for the K3 400? :(
A couple of forum members have installed the Leo Vince on the 400.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Curious things, these 400's! In our group of 4 K4's mine is by far the loudest exhaust. Some of it seems to be engine noise as well...but the exhaust is tight, and the valves are ok. Its just a louder putt putt noticed at idle, and the sound out of the muffler is also louder than the others. And one of the others is noticably quieter than all the rest! He's the one with the most milage....about 13K. Mine is now at 6K, but its been loudest from the day it rolled off the showroom floor. Its not noticed at riding speed tho...just at idle. I'm waiting for a T-Max.......but not holding my breath.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts