Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
The service manual states: Movable Face Inspect the movable face for any stepped wear on the drive face. If any defects are found, replace the drive face with a new one.

In the clutch section it states Drive/driven face ware limit: 0.4mm (0.02in).

With that said, the variator and clutch pulley faces are really a 'wear' item. Too deep/large of a step in the surface can limit how far the variator can move to change the pulley ratio not allowing 'full range' of the CVT. Example, higher than 'normal' RPM required for a given speed, typically 'highway speeds'.

Based on the photos do they need to be replaced? Ultimately, it's your decision whether it is serviceable or not.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
That looks like a LOT more than .4mm wear to me. If it were mine I would replace it. Better check the rear, too.

Reactions: Paavo91 and s-steel

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
What G-Dub said.

If you continue to use that variator, you will find that belts wear faster, bike does not perform as you remember and, eventually, fuel efficiency will suffer.

If you replace the variator, you should also replace the driven plates.

DAMHIK

Reactions: Paavo91

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
They do not look good. There are a few levels there. Btw sanding down straight like i did with mine will not work. Theres a certain gap the belt needs and over time it wears out and the rpm will climb while the bike is trying to get up to speed. Its like take rollers out with flat spots, sanding it roujd but yourr removing some weights thats missing and needs to perform well. Shows wear as a lot of city driving and some highway.

The rear pulleys should be checked but they are steel if I remember correctly and should hold longer. The fronts are aluminum or an alloy and wear faster. Rears cost much more. Around twice as expensive as fronts. U need to also open the whole clutch rear(54mm socket) and check the needle bearing and the other inside. Clean it well eith brake cleaners and regoop with hi temp grease. Mcbergmsa has some videos about it

Btw you might consider drilling a hole for a small cotter pin on that front shaft. You must make sure to pull a lot of slack from the rear pulley with the belt and when you slip it on to the boss pin make sure it has a lot of slack. Tgat way when you install the finned plate and tighten that down, you arent just tightening that finned plate on the belt. It can come loose. It happened to ke on the highway in a strip where i had no shouoder to pull over to and retighten. The cotter pin will help prevent it. The finned plate released on the inside of the cvt cover and made a mess. Good luck

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Good advice on tightening the variator nut. That shaft is the end of the crankshaft so if it gets buggered you're screwed. Besides being very careful about the belt slack and torquing, I always run it a few seconds before I close up and then re-check the torque.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If the variator nut is torqued up correctly there is no reason it should come undone ????
If the parts are mechanically sound, properly installed and torqued it won't come off. I would hazard a guess that over 99.99% of all scooters are doing fine without a pin or thread lock. To each their own, of course.

·
Administrator
18,700 Posts
If the parts are mechanically sound, properly installed and torqued it won't come off. I would hazard a guess that over 99.99% of all scooters are doing fine without a pin or thread lock. To each their own, of course.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Couple of points to avoid clamping down on the belt at the variator...before removing the nut look and notice how much thread is showing beyond the nut and check this when reinstalling. After torquing see if you can move the belt through the pulleys. Then as I noted before, before closing up the cover start the bike and rev gently to engage the clutch, then re-check the torque.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
You need a holder (whether bought or home made) to torque those 2 nuts adequately.
Doubt that you could drill a hole through the crankshaft, for a pin.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I was able to drill a hole through the shaft at the end.. Took some time. That mutha is some tough steel. I didnf have a cotter pin but used some thick wiring inside

Dam. Had i known about the bolt tightening on the belt...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts