Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2004 Burgman 400 with about 1400 Km ( 900 miles ) on the odometer . Nice machine , much more comfortable than my previous motorcycles . Generally runs well , very economical on gasoline . Very sensible to headwind .

However , it seems to have a problem somewhere in the drivetrain . As long as I drive under 60 Km/h ( 40 mph ) there is a light but continuous jerking in the drivetrain . It looks like the transmission variator was always occillating in a cyclic manner , unable to adopt a position . Similar too to a centrifugal clutch slipping , but in a regular cyclic manner .

Somebody saw a similar problem ? Knows a cure ? I inspected every parts in the belt drive system and found nothing , and engine seems to run well and steadily.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Henri,

Welcome to the forum! I haven't seen that problem mentioned before, but perhaps one of our 400 owners can help you. Barring that, I would discuss it with your dealer. The dealer should be able to call Suzuki for technical assistance with it if necessary.

·
Registered
605 Posts
OK Henri,

Just to reassure you I have the same situation and have deemed it not to be a problem (don't you just hate it when some tells you its not a problem but you should see it as a feature). After you put a few miles on it, it should smooth out. Mine did. I think its just the fuel injection being very lean for EPA requirements at 2500-3500 rpm. The simple solution is to "not run at that speed" and enjoy the scooter. Annoying isn't it. Just relax and give it sometime and then if it bothers you still ...then sell it. Nothing else to say.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I'd give it some time to break in based on what Timothy said. However, I wouldn't be too hasty to sell it if it doesn't smooth out. A good mechanic with a Yosh box could remap the fuel injection to richen the lean mixture in that rpm range. The Suzuki V-Stroms also have some lean surge below 3000 rpms at low speeds. Doesn't bother me much, because I don't ride much in that range. Several guys were really bothered by it though, and got excellent results from a remap - problem totally resolved. The cost of having the remap done would be much less than what you'd lose on selling it - and if you otherwise like the machine it could make you very happy with it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As you both said , Timothy and Paul , I'll wait a little and see if it improves by itself .

I already discussed with my dealer twice about this , and to date he was of no help .

And , Paul , I'm not sure at all I will find a competent mechanic here , in North Western Québec , to remap the fuel injection system . And what is a Yosh box ? Is remapping a reversible operation ? Anyway , I'm not sure I want to be the first around for the experience .

If ever it doesn't smooth out by itself , I will probably have to trade the Burgman .

My other choice would be the Silver Wing 600 , if ever Honda import it to Canada in 2005 ...

Does the Silver Wing have known similar or other design problems too ?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Henri,

It's probably a good thing that the Silverwing is not available in Canada because you probably would buy one and over look all the greater and better features that the 650 Burgman has to offer. Look into the 650 if it bothers you that much. I lived through my break in and I tell you it will smooth out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Timothy . I will try higher grade gasoline , ride as much as possible and wait for smooting out .

I would be happy to see improvement on my 400 as I like this bike . I'm only 5'7" , and my wife weight less than 100 pounds , so we are comfortable on this machine , and have more than enough power for our needs ( power still improving too ) . As I said , just don't have as fun as expected when slowly driving on secondary roads . Easily drive 300 Km on a tank with nearly 3 liters left .

In last February I went to the " Salon de la Moto de Montréal " , and saw both Burgman ( 400 and 650 ) . Also saw the Yamaha Majesty 400 , but wouldn't be interested , as every road test I saw from Europe found the Burgman 400 the best machine . As you say , it's the same for the Burgman 650 over the Honda Silver Wing .

The Burgman 650 is technically superior to the Silver Wing and a superb machine ( to my taste , especially in blue ... ) . However , I'm afraid of the very complicated drivetrain , and I would consider it only with a very long drivetrain warranty . And , as many peoples think , Honda products are generally more finished , although they are not perfect .

Anyway , at this time I just want to enjoy riding my machine !

Have a nice day and many nice rides !

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Henri,

Yoshimura makes a fuel injection adjustment device that can hook up to the FI computer on a motorcycle and reprogram it. It is sometimes referred to as a "Yosh box". There is also a device called a Power Commander that can do the same thing.

As I understand it, the shop or mechanic owns the Yoshimura device, which hooks up to the computer on your motorcycle (or scooter), makes it's changes, and then is disconnected - and stays with the mechanic. So you don't have to buy the device. You just pay the mechanic to do the work. The "Yosh box" is his tool.

The Power Commander, stays on the motorcycle (or scooter) permanently, overriding the stock FI settings. So you have to buy the device - and they are somewhat expensive (over $300 US I believe).

In either case, the stock FI settings can be restored.

This is equivalent to rejetting carbs on non fuel injected machines. A more complicated and expensive procedure - but that's progress I guess.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hey Henri,

Lat night on my way home I tried to ride at 40-50 km/hr and to be quite frank, the 400 is not sitting in a comfortable place. I find 60 km/hr a very sweet part of the power band and the engine runs smoother. Riding at such a low speed no manner what mileage and break stage the motor is at somehow is not ideal. You must be riding on secondary roads that are gravel. The question I have is, does the 400 handle the gravel well. Uhm interesting thought.

If not then I would recommend a 250 cc scooter or a 250 cc motorcycle (like the Suzuki 250) or even a trail bike like an older CT 90.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts