Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I remember when i rode a 125cc scooter i had serious problems when riding on these type of pavements on highways, i thought with the burgman would be different but "I feel, similar thing but less".

There are some pavement's roads that looks like they have been given a sort of treatment, looks like a comb has been gone through the first layer of it, so when I ride on it I feel the bike loses stability and i feel like im driving on water and freak out usually, i really dont like the "feeling", so I am not sure whether this pavement affects or is it more than a feeling boosted by the road.

Im attaching a picture, the 3 arrows show the small lines "pavement treatment" 1 arrow shows the joints where I also feel the bike reacts bad when riding on it..

I look forward to hear feedback from you guys

thank you.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't know what tires you have, but I do know that some react to the pavement much more than others.
With that said, all I can say is relax and don't try and keep it perfect - guide the bike where you want it, don't force it there. (sorry, but after riding many years I found I actually gritted my teeth for some reason when I started riding the Burgman - I needed to loosen up quite a bit).
Just thought I would share.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what tires you have, but I do know that some react to the pavement much more than others.
With that said, all I can say is relax and don't try and keep it perfect - guide the bike where you want it, don't force it there. (sorry, but after riding many years I found I actually gritted my teeth for some reason when I started riding the Burgman - I needed to loosen up quite a bit).
I'm using stock tires. thanks for your advise.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Grooved pavement affects just about any motorcycle to some extent. As was mentioned type of tread pattern can magnify or reduce it some. Size of wheels and weight of the bike can also magnify or reduce it. I don't thing you can ever totally get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
They do this here prior to doing a cheap top dressing repair. Really annoying.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The SIlverwing was terrible for that and I still tense a bit when I see a parallel groove coming up but the 650 just ignores them.

The only time it ever twitches is a tar snake on a hot day.
The parallel line twitchiness is one of the reasons I moved off the SWing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with all of this. relax and have a bit of faith.
Over time, this too will pass :eek:ccasion5:

Tar snakes are a whole different beast for me,though. I do try to ovoid them. In the summer when they heat up, I find the bike gets very twitchy. :(

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
After reading quite a number of positive reports for the Michilin Power Pure tire, I decided to try them on my 400. The one negative report had to with their handling on grates or grooved roads. I didn't find the problem in my riding on my first set so, when it came time to once again replace the rear tire, I went with them again. Then, while my wife and I were riding through Denver, we had to go over about a quarter mile of concrete road with DEEP, WIDE grooves. I just about s..t my pants! My bike was pulling every which way and I felt totally out of control. My wife, on the other hand had stock Bridgestone Hoops on her bike and had nary a problem (and, she is a new rider). I'll likely darkside the rear next time (going through two rear tires a year) and go back to OEM up front.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Narrow rib front tyres are the worst when rding on grooves, as the ribs follow the grooves.

Nowadays, this problem is quite mild compared with how I recall when I first started riding 40 years ago.

Back in thse days many roads had permanent grooves (anyone remember the California rain grooves on freeways?) and it was a key factor in many road riders choosing Dunlop k81 tyres in the '70s - they were one of the few front tyres that were a non-rib (actually they were a universal tyre that could be fitted both front and rear) and didn't follow the grooves.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
One other thing that can affect your ride on different surfaces is the tire pressures you run. The Burgman 400 can be quite sensitive to these pressures. Over inflated tires makes it much worse, usually! I've found factory pressures work best for me both when travelling on my own or with a passenger.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Just loosen up the "DEATH GRIP"....and relax........It's really a lot of fun.....

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
Your tire type will make a big difference too. I found the Michelin Pilot Power Pure tires would grab onto the higher ridges in pavement like you have in the picture, and then tend to follow it. The front and back would alternately grab the ridge, making a very uncomfortable ride.

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts