Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just looked in tank ...looks clear as best as I can see. Disconnected the fuel line from the throttle body and turned on the key...it only pumped about 1-3 ozs. Clear.
Then shut off. Should it keep pumping while disconnected?
Wick
Ps. Pumps fuel with each turn of the key y

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
1. The fuel pump will only run long enough to prime the injector when you turn the key on. It shuts off to keep from flooding or spilling fuel if the fuel line snaps.
2. A very common hotrodders issue is crud in the tank with old fuel. Many have drained the tank, replaced the fuel filter and refilled the tank, only to get 20-30 miles and the car starts sputtering and not reving. The new gas washed all the crud into the new filter. The fix it to replace or repair the tank.

I have taken an old STEEL gas tank and flushed it with acetone. Then fill with hot soapy water, Simpley Green works well. Then put a 1,000 watt 120 Volt 'Immersion' bucket heater in the tank and let it get very hot. After a few hours, drain and flush with water and dry well. Then I put in enough of POR-15 gas tank liner to seal the steel. They now make kits to do this clean, prep and coat.

I think a 8 ounce can of POR-15 or KDS Coating should coat a Burgman 400 tank fine. $41 to $45 on Amazon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
1. The fuel pump will only run long enough to prime the injector when you turn the key on. It shuts off to keep from flooding or spilling fuel if the fuel line snaps.
2. A very common hotrodders issue is crud in the tank with old fuel. Many have drained the tank, replaced the fuel filter and refilled the tank, only to get 20-30 miles and the car starts sputtering and not reving. The new gas washed all the crud into the new filter. The fix it to replace or repair the tank.

I have taken an old STEEL gas tank and flushed it with acetone. Then fill with hot soapy water, Simpley Green works well. Then put a 1,000 watt 120 Volt 'Immersion' bucket heater in the tank and let it get very hot. After a few hours, drain and flush with water and dry well. Then I put in enough of POR-15 gas tank liner to seal the steel. They now make kits to do this clean, prep and coat.

I think a 8 ounce can of POR-15 or KDS Coating should coat a Burgman 400 tank fine. $41 to $45 on Amazon.

I think I may have found the cause for my problem...Bad fuel injector. Resistance checks ok but I can not get it to click when I connect to the two poles . Have sprayed carb cleaner on/in several times and now have it soaking in injector cleaner...we.ll see. Any recommendations on good source for a new injector. Prices range from $15 to over $200. Must be the same guys who sell hearing aids. I paid $2700 ten years ago now you can get a decent pair for under $500
Regards, Wick

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think I may have found the cause for my problem...Bad fuel injector. Resistance checks ok but I can not get it to click when I connect to the two poles . Have sprayed carb cleaner on/in several times and now have it soaking in injector cleaner...we.ll see. Any recommendations on good source for a new injector. Prices range from $15 to over $200. Must be the same guys who sell hearing aids. I paid $2700 ten years ago now you can get a decent pair for under $500
Regards, Wick
I got the injector working after soaking as above. Got it installed and she fired right up and would take full throttle up to red line. For those interested the injector is located on the back side of the throttle body. First disconnect the fuel line (2 bolts) and move away. The injector is under this connection. There is a very small screw back side of the injector which apparently is to hold the injector from moving. There is a plastic top part on the injector which comes up/off by hand only. Remove it and lift the injector out of its resting place.
To check ,apply current to the two pins and hold it up close to see if you can hear it click. Just apply current quickly and stop as you can damage the unit if current lasts too long
Mine would not click so I sprayed it with carb cleaner then soaked it in atf for several hours(this was recommended by someone on the net ) and then overnight in injector cleaner (fuel additive). That freed it up and I could hear it click
Hope this helps someone.
Wick

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
I have serviced so many injectors over the years. Some can be saved with out taking them all apart.
I have taken and soaked them in a mix of ATF and mineral spirits over night and then cycle them for an hour. Seafoam works too.

But I cheat. I have an Australian made injector cleaning machine that lets me run patterned cycles. I can also set them in an ultrasound bath while cycling.
I do not have the adapters for our injectors or Subaru injectors to flow test. But I can do any Dodge, GM and Ford injectors.
My machine is the older one than this one.

machine.01.jpg

Reactions: Uncle Fester
21 - 25 of 25 Posts