Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a '08 400 with an On Guard Mastiff Loop Chain and Padlock. The chain was wrapped around a metal pole and the lock on my front disk. They cut the lock with some kind of electric saw. The lock and chain were left on the ground and the scooter was gone.

The 400 had been in/out of the shop since March 2012! Neither the service mgr. not Suzuki rep. could figure out the problem. Suzuki's bankruptcy didn't help. Delayed parts shipping. The day after I told the dealer about the theft, a part showed up from Suzuki to hopefully clear the problem. I had an extended warranty, a lot of expensive parts were thrown at the 400 but at no cost to me.

The service mgr. thinks I should replace the 400 with a 650. My problem is:
1. I don't like the thought of giving up the 10mph difference.
2. I've lost faith in Suzuki's ability to fix their product.
3. I live in an apartment with covered carport and I found it's impossible to secure the scooter. My first scooter (a Helix 250) was also stolen.

Do I go with a BMW 650 - very heavy, poor mileage or a Burgman 650 - lighter weight but about the same milage as the BMW, or another 400?

Since I don't want the Scooter in the shop all the time and I don't want to supply scooters to thieves, do I walk away from scooters and stay only with my bicycles or move to an apartment with a garage?

Will find out about my insurance settlement in about 3 weeks.
Decisions, decisions, MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Two bikes stolen when they were chained up... Time to start looking for a place with better security in a safer part of town. I never hear of scooters being stolen. Harley's, sportbikes, yes, there's a good deal of demand for parts. But scooters? The Burgman was recently written as one of the least likely bikes to get stolen ( http://rideapart.com/2013/10/10-new-motorcycles-wont-ever-get-stolen/2/ ). The fact you've had two stolen leads me to think there's a bad element in your apartment building. It doesn't seem coincidental.

As to the bike... The 400 is the most practical of the ones you mentioned and perhaps my favorite because of it. I wouldn't be concerned about mechanical problems you've experienced, that sounds like a one off bike. There are hundreds, if not thousands on this board, that have had minimal to no mechanical issues on either Burgman.

The 650s are both fine bikes. Of course I tend towards the Burg, there certainly are a lot more of them; a good used market. Here's a good article comparing them.

http://maxi-scoots.com/scoot/index.php?topic=5947.0;topicseen

Good luck. Perhaps it was fortuitous that bad running bike was stolen; it gives you a shot to get a better one. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Me think problem not scooter you ride but area you live in.

Anything with BMW badge have more chance of get stolen because less part availability for BMW, stolen BMW part sell very well.

Stick with Japanese scooter, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, and move to safer area were any bike be more secure.

All brand and model of bike have this one machine that have this one problem difficult to find. You very unlucky with this problem on your Burgman but this could happen with any bike and does.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I think you need to look for a new place to live. Scooters aren't high on the stolen list & you've had two gone missing were you live. :(

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
When you leave a bike out at night you are inviting theft , just about every theft happens with bikes left out at night . As far as ever getting one back it's nearly impossible , your bike was probably in parts or in Mexico before you woke up . Get a place with a garage , then get a 650 Burg LOL .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Move before getting another scoot.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm with all the others in suggesting you might want to move before you lose another scooter. Not sure how this would work, but could you hide a silent alarm on the scooter next time? When I worked as a contractor in San Antonio the list of stolen cars would fill a whole newspaper section. The best one was in an article where the robber got shot in the butt, because the owner had a silent alarm in his car and caught him. I suppose the owner got time and not the robber.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It must be thin pickings in your neighborhood for the local thieves to be lowering their standards and go after a scooter. Is nothing safe these days?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Wonder if the thief managed to sort the problem out.;)

Methinks you either need to move or stop acquiring physical assets.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Never Leave your Bike any where to Long Malls, Movies theaters,Etc,Etc

IN and OUT!! FAST

What the crooks are just gonna Joy Ride anyway ,and then Dump it some where Most of the time when found it's Totaled!!

I was thinking about that Track Service that Puts a Tracking Device on your Bike if it was Not So expensive i would have installed one my self.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
well maybe a more practical solution than moving, assuming you decide to get a bike, is cover it and fit an alarm - you can get guardian cover and alarm

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2719/i/dowco-guardian-cover-alarm

It wont stop it if they want it - but a) will reduce the temptation b) at least maybe scare them off c) give you a chance to catch them

On the 650 vs the 400 question, everybody will have an opinion on this i'm sure
i've owned both - imho - different uses. I think of the 650 as a decent cruiser ( more complex -twin cylinder so TBS needed, ecvt - not that i had any issues) and the 400 as a great all round scooter that can cruise too and is simpler to work on.

Me i would go for the 400 if the 400 worked for you

ymmv

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a woodworking shop with lots of expensive tools inside. Mounted a motion detection light with a siren attached. Goes off if you get within 25 feet of the door.
The siren is inside my house. Never had a problem. It has gone off several times over the years. Don't know if it was human or animal that set it off. Whole thing cost under $30.00.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a gps tracker on all my bikes it only costs me $50 each and works with a sim card as soon as the bike is moved more than 5 meters it send me a text and tracks the bike, also all have motion sensor alarms cost only $20.Mind you all my bikes are in a shed with alarms and two cars parked in front they would have to moved. I don't go shopping or the theatres on the bikes always in the car as I usually have more than 2 people in tow

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I had a chinese Sundiro scooter stolen some years ago from my driveway. The thieves got what they deserved. That scooter had stranded me over and over the two years I owned it. We kept the bikes covered or garaged after that and have so far had no further problems. We own our home and we have added a motorcycle shop in back of the house. This gave the garage back to my wife and keeps the bikes at the back of the property where they aren't sitting out visible to people passing by. I think that has helped more than anything.

You didn't say if you had the motorscooter covered or not. If not, I would suggest a cover for any motorcycle left outdoors. My suggestion for you is for you to move to an apartment with a garage. It just isn't worth it to keep buying bikes and having them stolen.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I would worry less about a BMW scooter being stolen than the Asian brands. I rode BMWs for many years and seldom removed the key. BMWs are relatively rare so it is hard to go unnoticed if you ride them. There is little demand for used parts because of their rareness, the 3 year warranty, owners are generally better off financially and don't consider used parts and many parts have to be integrated with the BMW specific computer.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I agree with what's been said... Flood lights, motion alarms, gps etc. it's a shame you have this problem where you live, and unfortunately no matter where you live theives will always be around. I like the siren idea what Dallas said.

It would be nice if you could set something up to electrocute/sting the bastards! I'd say a live electric fence dog wire at the right hand grip would be nice Wink wink !

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
A motion-sensing camera might help. So might covering it up, which is a good idea whether you're losing them to thieves or not. But you probably should first think about moving. Sorry...

·
Registered
89 Posts
A few years ago I had picked up a stray doberman who seemed to have been trained to attack intruders by biting their intimate parts. Shame dogs don't live longer...

·
Registered
252 Posts
What a way to reopen an old post... :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Just noticed that it was an old thread. I live in an apartment complex and thankfully it has a locking automatic gate that only one car can get through at a time. A truck got smashed pretty good by the gate when he tried to follow another car in a few days ago. Turned out the driver didn't live in our apartments and was just 'driving around' when he got pinched by the gate. Messed up his nice truck pretty good too!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts