Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new Blue 400 on Thursday morning. UNfortunately had to drive home from the dealer in light rain. I had spent many nights thinking about that first drive, thinking about the wwight and control of so large a bike compared to my old 49cc Yamaha. I had planned to drive around a bit on the closed street to get used to it, before pulling into traffic. My wife brought me there and followed me home. Then came the moment, the engine on, sitting on the bike, could I manage? My 5'3" height enough for the seat? I started to drive and it felt wonderful, nor problem. Just as everyone here had said. I pulled the seat back as far forward as I could make it. The guy warned me to be careful on my first drive, the rain and also that the tires were a bit silicones where they had been made so the possiblilty of being slippery. As I drove out into the street, I waved to my wife, no need for the practice. It felt comfortable. Before a few minutes passed I was doing over 80kph. At that speed, I would be shook up on my 49cc at it's top speed.
When I got home from this wet ride, the rain was lessening up so my wife took her turn on our quiet street. She went around the block a few times and found the same thing, very big, but comfortable and not bad to drive. We were due to pick up her bike on Saturday. We saw them assembling the bike as we left the shop. We had some more rain during the day, but I still managed to get out between the time and hit a secondary highway where I hit a speed of over 100kph, with a lot of wind buffeting me. As I passed a bunch of cars on the other side of the highway, even more buffeting, but still very managable. Much, much better handling than my 49cc. We went out for supper to celebrate and came back around 7PM. The bike dealer closed at 8PM, gee I wonder if her bike is ready. I called and it was, so again we went there. I had decided to drive her bike home for her as well, so she could practice at home without stress. She followed me home, but I left her in the dust as I pulled ahead a few times. The bike accelerates very fast and smooth, but quickly over 5000 RPM.
Anyway, the next day, we went off a few times, and I had it up to 120 MPH in an open stretch. Very comfortable bike, we both love it. One guy stpped us in a parking lot and asked us what the bikes were, he had never seen anything like it.
Yesterday more driving at faster speeds. Finding it very hard to keep below the 4000 RPM breakin speed. This bike just wants to go fast. I showed it to a fellow who has a motorcyle. He loved it and would love to get one too.

We are almost ready for a big 2 hour drive to Sarnia, where our daughter lives. A drive that on the 49cc, would have been very hard.

Thanks to all on this board that offered their comments and to our friend Harold who had chosen the 650 Burgman. He led us both to the bike and to this forum. Anyone else who is thinking about buying please ask and I will tell further about what it felt like, so that you too can enjoy this rocket ship (to me it looks like something from a science fiction movie or from the Jetsons)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Sounds like you have been needing to move up for some time and have no regrets now that you did.
Enjoy, like a always say it only gets better. :lol:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Congratulations on your new toys. I'm sure you'll have a great time riding them.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Congrats on the new rides. I'm sure it will be no time at all and you will both feel very comfortable on them.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Warm congratulations to you and your wife, Michael. This April, my husband and I also bought "matching" 400s and we love 'em. You will, too.

Moreover, I'll bet you won't be outgrowing the 400 any time soon -- which you might have had you purchased Yamaha Vino instead.

Please do consider a MSF basic rider class, if you have not taken one already. It's an excellent learning experience, and, trust me, nobody will look down his/her nose that you're a scooter rider. It's all about increasing skills and safety.

Happy, happy riding,
Chris

·
Registered
320 Posts
Congratulations Michael and Spouse! :)

Chris L. wrote: <<trust me, nobody will look down his/her nose that you're a scooter rider. It's all about increasing skills and safety. >>

Chris, you're absolutely right. :) Except for some vibes we got from a couple of real squidy types, everyone else in our MSF class was cool about the scooters. In fact, one of the instructors said in front of the class, "Hey, those things are really great!" and made a special point to note that scoots are allowed in the Advanced course, where you ride your own bike.

Enjoy the 400s, you two! We're thinking about finding a scoot for The Tall One so we can ride solo together. (We don't think the two-up position works well for us.)

Cheers,

Bryna

1 - 7 of 7 Posts