Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still pondering about getting the Burgman 400 . It is a toss up between the Burgman and the Suzuki Bandit 600 . I love the Burgman 400 and have taken one out on a Demo Ride . I find this site great and full of information .
Over the long term how do you people see the Engine/Powertrain is in reliability and longevity after many miles/km . I am planning on using it for all around riding city , freeway and secondary roads . Hope all you can help me out on this . Great site and thank you

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Dan

After reviewing you previous posts and how long you have waited to purchase your machine, I can understand your current anxiety.

However, you know the purchasing decision is only one you can make. You can make that with your head or your heart.

Only you know what you need the machine for and why you will be using it.

Burgmans are more expensive than the equivalent motorcycle and the ride may well not be as refined. But the Burgers have some neat features that set them apart, primarily:

1. Weather protection and step thru.
2. Voluminous and convenient storage
3. CVT transmission and 'good enough performance' for riding city , freeway and secondary roads. If you wish you will be able to leave most cagers for dust and all but the most crazy crotch rocket pilots, as the transmission is always on the sweet spot.

The Bandit is a very competent machine for a first timer or experienced biker alike and is very well regarded. If you go for the naked version fit a fly screen or you will be chewing wildlife.

There have been no reports of significant engine failures in the Burg, I have heard of one in the UK but the owner admits he had not checked the oil (and apparently it was virtually dry). The 400 transmission has been reliable and a belt change every 15K miles(or more) is preferable to continuous chain maintenance - isn't it?

But it looks like you are looking for a reason not to buy - which will win -your head or your heart. If you buy a Bandit the biker community will welcome you with open arms and will probably not want to know you on a Burger - but we will! :) whatever you buy!! :D :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Bandit or Burgman,

Both Suzuki products and according to my inside guy (Western Canadian service rep) they have yet to have an engine related failure for the 400 or 650. The only mechanical things I am concerned about are 1) the belt 2) the dry plate clutch mechanism and the muffler. I have heard of some older models having problems with the mufflers. Overall though, this model has been on the market for 5 years (since 1999 in Europe and since 2003 in the USA) and they have worked out the bugs with them. The Bandit 600 is another story.

When I was considering the Burgmans I weighed my decision on 2 things. One, the cheaper insurance for the 400 is significant here in B.C. I don't know what your private insurance agencies can do but here the rate is double for a 600 with our government run insurance agency (ICBC ...stands for I Can Bicycle Cheaper!). Two, the Burgman is one cool looking vehicle and after owning it for the last 7 months its real competent as well. It rides real smooth and I even took it on a camping trip which made me ponder why would I ever need to take my V11 Moto Guzzi Sport on another trip. In fact I placed it in the basement long term storage. I am still pondering buying the 650. If you can stand all the attention...mostly good...and can ignore the flake you may get from the odd motorcyclist I would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I think Norman nailed that one. Choose the one your prefer that's best suited to your usage.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The convenience of the Burgman for a day to day commuter machine is what made my decision.

I had a Honda Helix and really loved that machine, but I wanted something with a little more "beans." I test rode a used Shadow 1100 like a buddy has. First, since I hadn't ridden a "real" bike for years, I had to walk it out to the parking lot. THen I went down the road, shifting, then turning corners and having to pick the right gear.

Then turning around in the road at low speed. I did it, but it wasn't easy.

Fast forward to today. Our shop had a carry in. I carried a big Tupperware container of beef and noodles AND a 5 quart Crock-pot. Still had room for rain gear in the trunk. Try that with a Bandit...

As far as your original question, they have B400's running around Europe with over 70-80K miles on them with no problems. That was a requirement for me since the Honda Helix is about the most bulletproof machine on two wheels and I didn't want to lose that.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Question to Timothy

Timothy,

My wife and I moved from Coquitlam to Nanaimo recently and I have gotten back into biking as a result of my son giving me a new Vespa ET 2. I am enjoying the Vespa as a city bike but have decided to move up to a larger scooter, as I want to get out on the highway and do some touring around the Island. I had decided that I would buy a 650 and then yesterday I was given the opportunity to purchase a new 400 for $7,000.00 CND, ($5423.00 US - $3,018.00 Pounds).
I am now reconsidering my initial decision given the price of the new 400.

What has been your experience in mountain driving, say from Hope to the interior and what about 2 up driving the mountains? I am not that concerned about the ICBC cost of insurance as the rate zone cost is much less here in Nanaimo than Vancouver.

I noted that you are considering a 650?

I would appreciate your comments and any information you can provide me.

Al

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: Question to Timothy

alburg said:
Timothy,

My wife and I moved from Coquitlam to Nanaimo recently and I have gotten back into biking as a result of my son giving me a new Vespa ET 2. I am enjoying the Vespa as a city bike but have decided to move up to a larger scooter, as I want to get out on the highway and do some touring around the Island. I had decided that I would buy a 650 and then yesterday I was given the opportunity to purchase a new 400 for $7,000.00 CND, ($5423.00 US - $3,018.00 Pounds).
I am now reconsidering my initial decision given the price of the new 400.

What has been your experience in mountain driving, say from Hope to the interior and what about 2 up driving the mountains? I am not that concerned about the ICBC cost of insurance as the rate zone cost is much less here in Nanaimo than Vancouver.

I noted that you are considering a 650?

I would appreciate your comments and any information you can provide me.

Al
GULP - envy!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: Question to Timothy

alburg said:
...and what about 2 up driving the mountains?
My 400 does very well on hills riding single. As well as my Ford Ranger in fact. But if you are going to be riding 2 up in the mountains, I'd suggest the 650.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well Alburg,

I haven't really tested it on the Coquihalla hyway (famous moutain pass hyway here in British Columbia) but I have taken the 400 on a camping trip to Selton WA. I really didn't notice any moutain passes but being from Nanaimo B.C. I think your concerns are with the Malahat hyway. Uhm thats a real tricky one to judge since I haven't taken many a passenger on mine and yet when I did tour with it I felt it was totally competent to ride at about 100-110 kms/hr. Two people up...thats another question. I would be tempted to say you are better off with the 650. I know there are many pros and cons to both. I've thought about the 650 only because I did a trip on my V11 sport and had this epiphany that I'm getting too old for this hunched over riding position and since I love the 400's riding position why not get a 650 for these only hyway trips.

My internal debate is on-going....I'm trying to rationize it. My inital take would be for you to get the 650. You'll never be sorry just have to pay about $3000 more.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well Alburg,

I haven't really tested it on the Coquihalla hyway (famous moutain pass hyway here in British Columbia) but I have taken the 400 on a camping trip to Selton WA. I really didn't notice any moutain passes but being from Nanaimo B.C. I think your concerns are with the Malahat hyway. Uhm thats a real tricky one to judge since I haven't taken many a passenger on mine and yet when I did tour with it I felt it was totally competent to ride at about 100-110 kms/hr. Two people up...thats another question. I would be tempted to say you are better off with the 650. I know there are many pros and cons to both. I've thought about the 650 only because I did a trip on my V11 sport and had this epiphany that I'm getting too old for this hunched over riding position and since I love the 400's riding position why not get a 650 for these only hyway trips.

My internal debate is on-going....I'm trying to rationize it. My inital take would be for you to get the 650. You'll never be sorry just have to pay about $3000 more.
PE200X Vespa

Thanks Timothy, I got such a good deal on the 400 that I purchased it before I received your reply. If I need more power I will buy a 650 in a year or two. I am pleased with the 400 so far.

Cheers

·
Registered
605 Posts
I love mine and so it gets better as I learn more and more about from this forum. Stay around and get some more advice from here. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
NormanB said:
Hi Dan
There have been no reports of significant engine failures in the Burg, I have heard of one in the UK but the owner admits he had not checked the oil (and apparently it was virtually dry). The 400 transmission has been reliable and a belt change every 15K miles(or more) is preferable to continuous chain maintenance - isn't it?
Well, I'll add a report then. :cry:

A bit over a year ago while on my way home I heard a bang and lost all power. The electrics were still alive, so I tried starting up again after stopping at the side of the road, but no go.

It turns out that the balancer shaft had somehow snapped, taking with it the piston, crank and various other bits in the engine.

Huge bill to repair, some parts could be repaired locally, but the piston and other bits had to be imported from Japan.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Andre said:
Well, I'll add a report then. :cry:

A bit over a year ago while on my way home I heard a bang and lost all power. The electrics were still alive, so I tried starting up again after stopping at the side of the road, but no go.

It turns out that the balancer shaft had somehow snapped, taking with it the piston, crank and various other bits in the engine.

Huge bill to repair, some parts could be repaired locally, but the piston and other bits had to be imported from Japan.
...............was there oil in it? :wink:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Andre,

How many miles were on the 400 at the time?

·
Registered
66 Posts
NormanB said:
I'm assuming there was. It had been serviced about 2 months before, but not at the place I usually take it to. Unfortunately, I never checked.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Andre said:
NormanB said:
I'm assuming there was. It had been serviced about 2 months before, but not at the place I usually take it to. Unfortunately, I never checked.
Andre

You really are a relaxed sort of guy.
I guess I am too anal about things - I check mine every day! :shock:

When I return home, I park up in the garage - after dinner (a couple of hours later) I pop out clean the screen and check the oil and tyres ready for the next morning whole thing is a 5 min job. Oh well - my wife thinks I am sad too! :cry:

·
Registered
66 Posts
NormanB said:
When I return home, I park up in the garage - after dinner (a couple of hours later) I pop out clean the screen and check the oil and tyres ready for the next morning whole thing is a 5 min job. Oh well - my wife thinks I am sad too! :cry:
Jeez, I hope you're kidding. :p

I wash the bike when it's so dirty I can't see the instruments anymore. Oil I check about once every 3 or 4 months and usually it doesn't need any.

I must admit I do have a thing about kicking the tires every now and then. :D

The speedo/odometer has been broken for months and it really doesn't bother me. Sometimes I mount my GPS if I'm riding somewhere unfamiliar and need to watch my speed or get directions.

There is a funny squeak-squeak sound coming from the rear of the bike when I'm going slow, maybe it's the brake pads rubbing against the disk or something.

At the moment I couldn't be bothered throwing any more money at the bike since I'm considering getting a 650 burger.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Well I must admit not being surprised at hearing about a engine failure, don't know if it was lack of service or not --point is there has to be stories out there of engine deaths / frame breaks / bike fires --all the standard things we hear about when it's a man made product.........
I once had a chop stick fail ......
And believe it or not I heard about a H D that broke down, all though that was just a roomer :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts