Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 13 years on a Suzuki GZ250 I was excited to buy a new Burgman 400. What a mistake I've made. Each time I ride I have a terrible backache. It's that riding position that sends every jolt up my spine. I've always done back strengthening exercises every morning, so I'm fit, and I've added a driver backrest. Now I have a new scooter with 150 miles on it that will be sold on Craig's List, and I'll probably see a loss of at least $3,000. And worse, I traded my trusty GZ250!

·
Registered
341 Posts
To most, the Burgman is more comfortable than a motorcycle. I know mine is.
Sorry your back can't handle it.
I would think the dealer would either put it on consignment or make you a deal on another bike.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I have the same Issue after about 40 Minutes the back aches, So i never ride to long ,Just short runs..

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
You could have the seat re-done. It does not cost that much and would help. Also, adjusting the angle of the handle bars can help.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
@Coer: as bikes there are colors, I'd suggest you to instead of losing 3K, get an airhawk and ride again, I can guarantee 80% of your pain will be over and you should not use backrest.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The Burgman's large floorboards allow you to take a lot of different riding positions. Have you tried putting the balls of your feet near the back end of the floorboards? It'd give you a riding position very similar to the GZ250.

It's possible that this tool will be useful to you also:
http://cycle-ergo.com/

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Try moving the seat rest forward and keeping your feet directly under you. This should put you in an upright position instead of a recumbent one. Also as Fernando said, the air hawk might help and perhaps soften the suspension as well.

Sorry about your back. But most everyone says the burg is one of the most comfortable bikes on the market. I would agree.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It was the Burgman that got me back into long distant riding again after back injuries took me of bikes. I use a airhawk and backrest to improve what is a comfortable ride to be even better.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
After 13 years on a Suzuki GZ250 I was excited to buy a new Burgman 400. What a mistake I've made. Each time I ride I have a terrible backache. It's that riding position that sends every jolt up my spine. I've always done back strengthening exercises every morning, so I'm fit, and I've added a driver backrest. Now I have a new scooter with 150 miles on it that will be sold on Craig's List, and I'll probably see a loss of at least $3,000. And worse, I traded my trusty GZ250!
Hi Coer, Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear of your unhappy riding. I can honestly say I've never met anyone who has had this problem and who hasn't solved it. That goes for bikes and scooters. But the Burgy is one of the most comfy bikes on the road for most people.

Firstly, I too have back issues. But find the Burgman fine and more comfortable than my Vstrom 1000. But as has been said. I recommend you NOT to use an add on backrest, and make sure you are not pressed hard into the rider adjustable backrest if you have lower back problems. It often makes them worse. Also again, as has been said already, adjust the handlebars either moving them forwards or backwards whichever way is appropriate. Or just experiment. There is plenty of room to move about on the Burgman so take advantage of that and find the best riding position. Again, experiment. Adjust the rear suspension to a lower/softer setting, that may help. The other point to make is you have only so far ridden very very few miles. Your body will need to adjust to the new riding position. This should be an ongoing experiment for you as it is with most of us with back problems. Don't do something rash like trade it in just yet. You have work to do and you will solve it. Like most of us, you will find it gets more and more comfortable with experimentation. It's a bit different to riding a traditional bike but more comfy for most. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reply from the Newbie

First, thanks for the thoughtful replies -- helpful and polite (not even getting grief for misspelling "colossal").

Regarding "nobody else has a backache" I suggest typing "backache" in this site's search window.

I'm impressed with all your commonsense suggestions: adjusting handlebars, buttrest, riding position, altering the seat and suspension. I'll experiment.

Maybe it's just the pain talking but after a lightweight motorcycle I find the Burgman heavy and cumbersome. It feels like it lumbers along and I'm perched atop a bench rather than part of the bike.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Well, it may be that scooters just aren't for you. If that's the case (and it were me) I'd bite the proverbial bullet and trade/sell it off and go back to a traditional motorcycle. Just rack any loss you might incur as a lifelong lesson.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Give it a little more time, not like it'll cost you anymore or less by giving it time. I'm good for only 100 miles before my butt gets sore, but that's just my butt. I have broke my back twice and don't have a problem there, and I DO use the back rest.
I too would like to try the AirHawk. I have 6000 miles with the beadriders, switching and testing, and they maybe, maybe give me 20 more miles, but are not worth the discomfort when you first take off, long run, maybe?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Maybe it's just the pain talking but after a lightweight motorcycle I find the Burgman heavy and cumbersome. It feels like it lumbers along and I'm perched atop a bench rather than part of the bike.
Well, extra weight is somewhat the price you pay for great highway manners, regardless of scooter or MC. But rest assured, the 400 can be thrown around quite well in the twisties. So far as being "part" of the bike, that's often a just a matter of seat/ride time. personally I think it takes six months and several K miles plus to really know and be comfortable on ANY bike. 150 miles is bearly a test ride IMHO.

Good luck, I hope you can get it sorted out.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I could understand if the move was from dirt, adv or sport bike, but coming off GZ250 is what for me a bit hard to take in :confused:

·
Read Only
1,204 Posts
I have a very bad back (doctors are shocked that I can walk since an accident in 68). My 400 made my back hurt when I first got it until I adjusted my riding position and adjusted the backrest. I had the same problem with my 650 with the same results. I just tweaked the backrest and adjusted my riding position. I can now ride all day without problems. I was most comfortable in the 400 with my feet forward but I found it made my back hurt on my 650. I ride my 650 with my feet flat on the floor. I think it was more of me adjusting my riding position than anything else. I thought they were both a mistake when I initially got them.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
The GZ-250 has a much better suspension and is much lighter and can understand your issues. But I dare say any bigger and heavier bike would do the same to your back. Maybe you need to go smaller and lighter with a Honda PCX-150. I am sure you could work a trade with a reputable dealer that wouldn't hurt at all!
Good Luck!

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts
OP 150 miles is simply not enough time to adjust to a new ride. But it's your money.

Now this comment makes sense as that aspect will take some getting used to.

I can assume you are in feet forward position not feet down position???

this is the designed riding position.
Fet down feels unstable and perched - I will do it on long rides just for a position change but rarely.

Feet forward lets you lock into the bike in a way you cannot with any other ride.

I did not like the low backrest on the 650 and once I figures out the correct height and angle I can do 1,000 km days with no back ache at all.

·
Registered
735 Posts
OP, my lower back "is a disaster" according to a previous GP of mine as he looked at the MRI. My 650 made my tailbone hurt after an hour, which then spread upward -- not good. I exchanged that a$$-pad for a (relatively inexpensive) doughnut-style backrest from BestBackrests.com and the pain disappeared. It also gave my 6'-02" frame quite a bit of extra room for my legs to stretch out. I spent over 6 hours in the saddle on new years day and was completely pain free, in my back any way (my frozen hands were another story).

I'd hate to see you give up on that wonderful 400 before you try a few inexpensive fixes. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello, I want to say you I'm sorry for your backache, but it seems strange. The Burgman is very convenient and many of us use it all day without any problems.
I can only advise you to build a custom-made motorbike saddle, more padded and suitable for your body.
And...happy new year from Rome.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts