Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went to Ace hardware this morning and on the way home noticed stopped at the light my bike felt like it wanted to creep forward. By the time I got home which wasn't very long I could not roll the bike back with the engine off without a lot of effort like the rear parking brake was on.

I made a Youtube video at idle.

Off the cuff, I'm thinking one or more of the aftermarket sliders are not disengaging. I'll have to open her up and take a look before any real damage is done.

So instead of giving sage armchair advice from my air conditioned bedroom to wanna be Burgman mechanics, I have to get down and dirty and figure out my own problems in my Las Vegas garage I affectionately call the oven.

Included is a picture of what my garage feels like in the summer.

Attachments

Reactions: Beermebeerme1

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Don't you have the Tech -something flying sliders with the tabs to prevent flipping? I think also DP clutch? When you take off does it seem like you're starting in a higher gear? I guess a slider could be stuck, but also could be a clutch issue, like a broken spring.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
YIKES! That definitely looks like something's jammed up in there right and good. That's absolutely something you'll need to take care of before riding again.

Hope all works out for ya with an easy repair!

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
116 Posts
Front pulley jammed will not cause rear wheel lockup IME, my bet is either the clutch has failed or rear pulleys bearings, etc. have failed, is it apart yet :rolleyes:, is it still over a 100F over there :unsure:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just out in the garage doing some work on the Honda PCX 150 that I purchased. I balanced the front tire. Found two of the pinch bolts missing since the dude before me lowered the front end and couldn't put them back in since the indentation in the fork tubes didn't match up anymore. That's why I went to Ace this morning to put it back to stock and replace the bolts.

Now on the Burgman I added a Dr. Pulley hit clutch and 19 gram Motoritec Tech Pulley Flying Rollers and didn't seem to have a problem till now. Changed the rear diff fluid 10/26/20 and everything looked good. Hardly any clutch dust in the case. Didn't remove the variator or clutch at the time since there was no reason.

A couple cool mornings and I'll have it apart. I've accumulated all the tools needed now to disassemble. I even have a clutch spring compressor now I purchased for the PCX so it might fit. .

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
116 Posts
A couple cool mornings and I'll have it apart. I've accumulated all the tools needed now to disassemble. I even have a clutch spring compressor now I purchased for the PCX so it might fit.
Wish I was so relaxed about my car/bikes/scooters issues o_O, I've been known to tear down stuff in the middle of the night, because could not sleep without knowing or just to satisfy a hunch !! :unsure:

Here's my favorite "Torque" spring compressor, I do place my driven pulley on wood and use tennis shoes :cool: ...

Clothing Gesture Finger People in nature Grass

Reactions: beemerjean

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is Uncle Fester's philosophy on working on bikes.

When you try to fix something you will find something else to fix like my PCX today.

There will always be a broken tab or plastic rivet till their all broken.

You will always end up buying a tool you didn't have before.

If you end up going to the dealer bring some KY jelly. It will make it easier when they ream you.

The service mechanics are great. The service writers are trained to get every last drop of blood out of you. They get a percentage of the work they write up. Dealer owner thinks they are not bringing in enough cash they will fire their ass and find someone more despicable.

If you ever give money to a dealer never expect it back. They will give you a store credit and make more money off of you.

There are exceptions to every rule. This is a generalization from my own experiences.

So I take my time. I know the bike I'm working on. I own the bike so I'm vested in the repair process. I make mistakes. I learn from my mistakes. Then I forget and start the whole process over again!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Here's my favorite "Torque" spring compressor, I do place my driven pulley on wood and use tennis shoes :cool: ...

View attachment 95459
That's basically what I do....sit on a stool and place on a piece of carpet to keep from slipping. And of course, real shoes. It has the potential to go awry, but not too bad if you're careful.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well I went to Ace hardware this morning and on the way home noticed stopped at the light my bike felt like it wanted to creep forward. By the time I got home which wasn't very long I could not roll the bike back with the engine off without a lot of effort like the rear parking brake was on.

I made a Youtube video at idle.

Off the cuff, I'm thinking one or more of the aftermarket sliders are not disengaging. I'll have to open her up and take a look before any real damage is done.

So instead of giving sage armchair advice from my air conditioned bedroom to wanna be Burgman mechanics, I have to get down and dirty and figure out my own problems in my Las Vegas garage I affectionately call the oven.

Included is a picture of what my garage feels like in the summer.
You’ve always been there for us with “sage” advice. So when you’re out there in your non-air conditioned garage, in Las Vegas, In the summer…know that we are with you in spirit, in the a/c, tossing back chilled beverages….on your behalf, naturally. 😉

Seriously, I hope it is a simple fix. Keep us posted on what the problem is. If it can happen to 1 it can happen to all.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got back from Uncle Fester's last chance garage. I will tell you my tale of woe.

Plastic parts came off nice and easy.

Could not get the metal cover off. Usually have that bearing in the cover stay on the shaft. After cranking and prying I realized I missed one of the 8 mm bolts on the that holds the cover on. Doh! Removing the bolt made it much easier.

Now it gets weird. Used my Chicago electric impact wrench to remove the two nuts. Then I found the clutch bell and the fixed drive face seized onto the shafts and would not budge. Automatically I thought the worse. Major failure. With a rubber mallet and cloth wrapped prybars I got them off with a great amount of effort.

Here is a video of the movable face not coning off.

Finally got it off. I'm pretty sure what happened was when I put everything together last time I put some lock tight on the threads. There was a lot of talk on the forum of people who did not tighten the variator nut correctly and it came loose causing all types of damage. Lock tight will keep it from happening but you'll never get it apart again. The tolerances are so tight just that little bit of lock tight caused me a lot of angst.

Once I got the movable drive plate apart I saw one of the sliders flipped. I'm assuming that's all it takes to put pressure on the belt and engage the clutch.

So I could put it all back together and hope it doesn't happen again but I think after this I'm going to Dr. Pulley rollers. The 19 gram Motoritec Tech Pulley Flying sliders have two arms that are supposed to assist with them not flipping. But it did anyways. Hopefully when I put it back together that's all it was.

If anyone wants to try them out I'll mail them to you to try. Somewhere in the continental US preferably. They are pretty quick off the line but lost a lot of top end speed. About 85 mph but never red lined. That's fast enough for me.

I also have the original stock rollers with only a few hundred miles on them if anyone wants those also.

Now to start a roller thread!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I don't have a DP slider in front of me, but it seems those Motoritecs are a little different shape...like the part that contacts the ramp plate is longer and less steep. Just going on memory, but it also seems they don't stick up as far - they're almost flush with the divider ribs. Will have to see if I have any pics of mine. If they're smaller in diameter that might explain the lost top speed. What is your RPM at 85 mph? With DP sliders it would be around 7500. Interesting that it flipped when those tabs are supposed to prevent just that.

If you like the high rpm everywhere - takeoff and cruising - you might want to try 16 gm rollers. They approximate DP sliders at lower speeds but have the higher rpm of stock rollers at cruising. Should get you to at least 95 mph as well. I have a set of DP 16 gm rollers I will send you (if I can find them) if you want to give them a try.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
The offending slider actually looks more like it was turned around, not flipped.

What effect did these have on your overall fuel mileage? I don't really imagine I'd ever need to go over 80 mph. But I get REALLY upset if I get less than 57 mpg! ;-)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have a DP slider in front of me, but it seems those Motoritecs are a little different shape...like the part that contacts the ramp plate is longer and less steep. Just going on memory, but it also seems they don't stick up as far - they're almost flush with the divider ribs. Will have to see if I have any pics of mine. If they're smaller in diameter that might explain the lost top speed. What is your RPM at 85 mph? With DP sliders it would be around 7500. Interesting that it flipped when those tabs are supposed to prevent just that.

If you like the high rpm everywhere - takeoff and cruising - you might want to try 16 gm rollers. They approximate DP sliders at lower speeds but have the higher rpm of stock rollers at cruising. Should get you to at least 95 mph as well. I have a set of DP 16 gm rollers I will send you (if I can find them) if you want to give them a try.
Did the rpms run above the red line? One of the reasons I replaced the stock rollers is I would be riding on the highway and not realize I was red lining.

The stock rollers are 21 grams if I'm not mistaken? I went about three years before this one slider flipped. Maybe due to wear?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The offending slider actually looks more like it was turned around, not flipped.
Optical illusion I think. If you roll it back visually the tabs are closer to the outside like the others.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just read stock are 19 gram.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Did the rpms run above the red line? One of the reasons I replaced the stock rollers is I would be riding on the highway and not realize I was red lining.

The stock rollers are 21 grams if I'm not mistaken? I went about three years before this one slider flipped. Maybe due to wear?
DP rollers will give same RPM at higher speeds as the stock rollers. If I recall you don't get to the red on the tach until around 95 mph, maybe little less? If you were hitting the red well before that with stock rollers something else may be off. Maybe worn belt? Could the boss have been replaced with a different length or are there washers in there to shim it? Anything to push the pulley sheaves farther apart would increase RPM throughout the range.

I think stock rollers are 19 gram.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Here's another thought (may not be good news)...it's quite possible that slider flipped when you were sliding the pulley sheave in and out. If you don't hold the ramp plate snug against the back side when you move it (like when installing) they can easily flip since there's no pressure on them and they're free to move around. If that's the case there could be another issue.

Reactions: JRoss
1 - 20 of 89 Posts