Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner's manual for my 2015 Burgman 400 says not to exceed 4000 rpm for the first 800 km (500 mi). The engine rpm is just over 4000 at 50 kph (30 mph).

How are you supposed to ride it if you don't exceed 4000 rpm? From what the manual says, just riding on city streets results in excessive rpm.

Neil

·
Registered
857 Posts
Vary your speed and keep it under 70 mph and you should be fine. Just make sure you get your 600 mile service to adjust the valves.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Suzuki GB told me to not exceed 5,000rpm during the initial 500 miles of running. 4,000 revs is too slow and won't break in the engine. Just make sure to vary the throttle setting lots and don't sit at one rev setting for very long. 5k revs will give you around 50+ miles per hour on a new bike. Remember to avoid big applications of the throttle or full throttle...gradually build up the revs and duration as per the book. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Neil,

I'm undergoing he same process this end of the country, just got my 400 a week ago, now sitting at 640 km riding under 4000 rpm can be a bummer. Like Quantum Mechanic states, it is ok if you ride with a bit more rev just leaving the driveway gets you at about 4500. As for revving the throttle, I remember from living in Edmonton doesn't provide you with much terrain elevation to play with throttle unless you go towards the Rockies, but I'll doubt you go there while the breakin phase takes place. But then again this might be the main reason of the four way flasher!

All I can say is, soon enough we will be able to enjoy it more.

Ben

·
Registered
185 Posts
Vary your speed and keep it under 70 mph and you should be fine. Just make sure you get your 600 mile service to adjust the valves.
Valves are supposed to be checked at 600? :cussing:
So if the dealer, forgets to even start the bike for 3 days, doesn't start anything until you go to pick it up and does nothing but the oil change, does that mean that nothing at the 600 mile point was done correctly?

I am now a little over 1200 miles. Maybe I should take it back and have them perform the service that they didn't at 600 miles.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Vintner I'm not positive but I thought I read on the 'to do' sheet from the dealer that the valves were checked. Can't say for sure though. For what I paid they had better have done more than an oil change! :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I paid $15. Labor was dropped because they didn't get my burg done (or started) on schedule. Regular price I was told was $80. That can not be a full 600 mile service.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As a retired test driver for one of our American car makers, we used to do a 2100 mile break-in on all of our test cars, basically started at 20-30 mph accelerating and coasting back down, and moving up to 80-100 for the last 200 miles, a good break-in should also include some brake burnishing normally braking moderately from 40 to 25, with lots of time between burnishes to allow the brakes to cool back down. Bring your scooter down here to the Texas Hill Country, and I can show you some great hilly, twisty narrow roads where you will have no trouble at all varying you speed, and you can get your burnishes at the cattle guards, like I did with mine, loved every minute of it, think I'll go do some more break-in tomorrow. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The valves on all DOHC motors from 2007+ do not have the valves checked at 600 mile service. Not needed at all because they are bucket and shim type, not screw adjuster and locknut which do need checking more often. First check on all DOHC motors is at 14,500 miles. All that is really needed on the first service is oil and filter change, and a good inspection of the externals on the engine and bike, BUT a really good nut and bolt check of all the important stuff such as callipers, engine mounts, exhaust mounts, wheel bolts etc etc.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Bought my 400 from the Suzuki dealer in Granbury, TX.
Got a great price 'out-the-door'.
Took it back for the 600 mile service..got charged $290.
All service after that I couldn't do myself was done
at Killeen PowerSports..got treated 'right' every time.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Sounds like I really got took then....
I think the issue is that some dealers haven't done the Suzuki factory course for servicing the Burgman scooters. And, they don't check the service manual which clearly states what has to be done. Don't feel too bad about it as this is unfortunately all too common in some parts of the world where Burgmans are not common.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts