Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just bought my 2005 Burgman 400 today and LOVE it! However, I do have a couple of questions:

I rode it from the dealership to my house (about 23 miles) going about 55-65 miles and hour, and probably doing 6,000-7,000 RPMs at times. I had no idea about the initial break in period until I got home and could read the manual. Do you all think I did any harm by riding it that hard at first? How critical is the break in period?

Second question:
I don't know HOW it happened, but I now have a scuff mark about the size of a quarter on the back right quarter panel. It looks like some sort of debris came up and sanded off a quarter sized section of my panel down to the black plastic layer. I am totally heartbroken, as this happened within hours and the first 20 miles of owning it. What can I do to get it back to normal shape?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

·
Registered
316 Posts
From the many opinions I've read online, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING would be to vary the RPMs as much as possible for the first 600 miles. Plus, feel free to change the oil around 200 miles or so. It's cheap and easy, make sure you change the oil filter.

It's hard to vary the RPMs on an automatic bike that only revs about 1000 rpms at a time, but do it as much as possible. You might be revving the engine a bit too much at the speeds you said you've been riding, and honestly, the dealer should have told you how to break the bike in, mine didn't either. That's why this website is a good source even before you buy your bike.

I doubt you did any damage, but I also wouldn't tell the dealer you didn't keep in the proper RPM range in case he wants to contest any warranty issues. I wouldn't worry about what has already been done, just be sure to vary the RPMs, which is almost as annoying as going slow.

FYI: Some mechanics recommend you rev the hell out of new engines but vary the rpm's as much as you can - and change the oil after as few as 50 miles.

·
Registered
428 Posts
In my opinion the specified break in procedure is absurd. What you described as your first 23 miles I would consider to be mink glove treatment and should not harm your engine.

Regarding the scuff, you can buy touch up paint but might want to wait awhile since other "character marks" may follow.

Have fun, be safe, and thanks for posting here.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Don't worry about your engine, short of running without oil or using a hammer on it nothing is going to hurt it.
Now about that scuff, you know the one the dealer did and you did not notice till you got home? I would go back and ask him what he intends to do about it. :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
Varying RPM isn't really the important part, but rather to vary the throttle setting. The idea, from a mechanical point of view, is to vary the pressure on the piston rings in order to get the rings to seat.

Personally, I believe that with the extremely low tolerances of modern engine, break in is not really needed. In fact, in both of my new cars there isn't any mention of a break in procedure at all. Nevertheless, I think that varying speed the first few hundred miles can't be a bad thing.

As far as the engine speed below 4000RPM, that's complete garbage. The B400 comes out of the hole taking at least 4500RPM. I was running over 5000RPM within 20 miles. GOt 10K on her now and she's runnin fine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Varying RPM isn't really the important part, but rather to vary the throttle setting. The idea, from a mechanical point of view, is to vary the pressure on the piston rings in order to get the rings to seat.

I didn't know this. Good to know, since I was trying to rev the hell out of my 400 and of course only got 1000 rpm at a time. Turns out I was doing what I should.

BTW: I notice a marked increase in performance since it's been broken in, and I switched to synthetic oil yesterday, and the RPMs are notedly lower at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
bechtoea said:

Personally, I believe that with the extremely low tolerances of modern engine, break in is not really needed. In fact, in both of my new cars there isn't any mention of a break in procedure at all. Nevertheless, I think that varying speed the first few hundred miles can't be a bad thing.
Modern engine cylinder walls are micro-honed which greatly reduces the need for break-in. On the other hand, keeping the revs down and varying rpm, or speed, and not really loading up the engine by pulling hard, can't possibly hurt and will keep you from abusing the engine.

The minute amounts of metal found in the first oil change are better in the oil recycle tanks than in your engine's bearing surfaces.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
The scuff more than likely occured at the dealership prior to your pick up unless you hit something. The bikes are shipped in metal crates and one mistake during removal would scuff the paint. Also, if the bike was on the showroom floor, it could have gotten scuffed. I would ask them to replace it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
About the scuff

First , Congrats on the Scoot.... When I brought my 400 home and was REALLY looking it over at home I found a little crack in the instrument cluster lense and a big crack in the fairing under my right foot pad. I called the dealership up and told them about it , then road back to the dealership and showed them the defects. No problem... they noted the problems , orderd new parts and called me when they got the parts in. I had them change out the parts at the 600 mile check. They told me they try to catch the shipping damage before the customer see them but sometimes things slip through so it sounds like they are used to seeing damage in shipping. Ask them to replace it .

·
Registered
346 Posts
For scuffs in general - if they aren't down to the primer, they can be buffed out. First line of attack, for me, is Meguiar's Scratch-X. If that doesn't take it out, I use their Fine-cut Cleaner (a polish) followed by Scratch-X.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dude, no one said anything about changing the oil after 50 miles! LOL! :shock:

Oh, and the scratch is oval, and about the same size as a quarter, and its waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down through to the black plastic layer. It's way past buffing. I noticed it after only riding home, and I didn't hit anything, so it must have come from the dealership.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I have and do hire a detailer for my car. She is very knowledgable about those sort of things. I bet that if you did the same and watched what they do - you'd be money ahead for the next few inevitable scuffs and nicks that you WILL rx. They will probably dob the area with some color and buff out. Heck you can prolly do the same thing. heck give it a try! if it turns out like crap then you can get a professional on it for (i would think maybe) only 50 or a hundred bux. Hey - at least you wont be looking at it so much! :wink: 5000 miles has given me a few scratches and nicks that tick me off too but ya know what - i look at it like sort of a patina that shows character....something moonpie has and i dont!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to update everyone, I called the dealership this morning (they have been closed since I took "The BURG" home saturday). To my shock, horror, and surprise, they knew all about the scuff but didn't say anything to me. They have ordered the new back panel and will install it as soon as it comes in. The owner of the shop said it definately was crate damage.

This is a GREAT shop, by the way. The folks are great, and this is HIGHLY out of character for them. **sheesh** I don't get why they didn't just fix it to begin with?

Oh well, my Joe Rocket Atomic (blue, black, and white to match "The BURG") jacket is on its way, as are my Olympia 1310 waterproof, windproof, insulated gloves for winter, both from http://www.newenough.com. If you haven't checked them out you should because the folks are great and the prices are KILLER!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm glad to hear they are replacing the panel. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and believe they were going to replace it for you before you mentioned it. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts