Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
You are really better off buying a hardcopy manual. I had a downloaded copy of the AN650 manual, and then I bought the real thing. The paper manual is so much easier to search through and the quality of the pictures is much better than in a low res pdf copy. Cost was about US $30 - and well worth the investment.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Maybe someone I get me the exact part number of the 2004 manual so I can order it from Ron Ayers. I tried last week and they said they needed the part # before they could order it...BTW I all ready have the 2003 part number so don't pass that one on to me.

I thought about ordering the service manual for the 2003 model because it is available and I can get it for about $20 US. I have a friend in the Seattle area that may have ordered it already but if not I'll need the 2004 # and then get it ordered. Sorry if this sounds somewhat confusing. Someone hinted that the 2003 was different in the specifications but I don't think they changed enough in the 2004 model to worry about it.

Timothy

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I sent an email to Ron Ayers (obtained the email address from the website). The guy who answered the email gave me the parts numbers for both service manuals that I needed (AN650 and DL1000). I then called the 800 number and ordered the manuals.

Be advised that Ron Ayers doesn't stock anything. They have good prices, very often even great prices, but when they get your order they turn around and order the item from Suzuki (or whoever, depending on what it is). When they receive the item, then they ship it to you. So the trade off for good prices is that you might wait a few days longer to receive the item. Right now I am waiting for a new Shoei helmet from them. It is $100 less than MSRP - best price I could find anywhere. I've never had a problem with anything I've bought from them - other than waiting for it to arrive.

Don't worry about the year of your machine. The service manuals have addendum sections for differences between years. The service manual I got for my '03 V-Strom is basically for the '02 model. But at the back of it there is a section which covers anything that changed for '03. So that 2003 part number you have is probably for the only manual available. They don't make entire new manuals for each year.

·
Registered
793 Posts
About placing a Suzuki service manual online for all to see...

All of these manuals are copyrighted. It would be the same legal enforcement action
against someone who makes a manual free to the public as it would be for any book
like a bestseller.

I've heard of folks bypassing the law by sending bits of the book as e-mail
image attachments, therefore privatizing information away from lurkers
that do nothing more than track their property on the open internet.

The information contained in the form of a book called a service manual belongs to Suzuki.
We buy the book containing that copyrighted information and that information
contains no expressed right to be disseminated in the form of copying from the book without
permission from Suzuki.
The Rights that we acquire by first buying a book from Suzuki disallows Copying of the contained
information by default legal arrangements of the copyright.
That is to say, before any permission is acquired from Suzuki to copy or disseminate the contained information.

It could also be said that we do not own the information contained in the
service manual, only the material we buy to view it in the form of a book.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I for one feel that the purchase of the bike and all the Suzuki products that go with it are enough, and that we are paying many thousands of dollars to support Suzuki already.

I don’t think we should be made to buy the text needed to properly maintain it as well. I see the cost of the shop manual more as a deterrent to the competent home mechanic than anything else in the pragmatic sense of the word.

I would not have a problem with a copy of the shop manual. I do not see it as hurting Suzuki as a more knowledgeable customer is a better customer.

It is not at all like copying “any book like a bestseller” from a pragmatic point of view because the vast majority of Suzuki profits come from the bikes and parts they sell, not shop manuals, and if anything, easy access to the shop manual would increase their sales of bikes and in particular parts.

The traditional and expensive hard to come by shop manuals is hopefully coming to an end, and the whole motorcycling industry will be better off for it when the knowledge is made more readily available. Look at the success of the PC compared to the Mac if you want another pragmatic example of the disbursement of knowledge.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Chumly partially said:
...I see the cost of the shop manual more as a deterrent to the competent home mechanic than anything else in the pragmatic sense of the word...
9 years of being an Apple service technician in the sf bay area in the 90's
and I speak to you tonight, my fellow plebeians, on a Toshiba laptop
with XP Pro.
No more "Operating System Of The Month Club" from Apple and
I feel good about that. I hope they sell lots of rich-kid computers to pay
for their rich-kid lifestyle without me.

Yamaha is distributing their cycle lines owners manuals online now and are expected
to have service lit soon.

As for copyright laywers, don't expect a Pragmatic approach anytime soon - heh heh.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The future :arrow: online service lit yippeeeeee
I have a Tosh latop with XP, small world :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts