Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I've put near 8K in less than 12 months so I'm planning to do the 8K maintenance on my own, here is the list of things I plan to check/replace:

- Air Filter
- Oil Change / motul or lucas 10-40
- Change Final oil drive
- Oil Filter
- New spark plug
- Clean the CVT Filter

- Check the braking pads
- Check tires
- Check the Belt
- Check the valves clearance

- Check torque on all chassis bolts, does anybody know where all these are? a picture would be awesome.

-Remember I'm preparing to ride 1,000 miles in three weeks from now.

do you think that's okay or are there things that shouldn't be done at this mileage yet?

looking forward for your feedback.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The valve clearance is probably waste of time. I have 30,000 miles on my Burgman and have not checked the valves. My scooter works as good today as the day I got it. I won't check the valves until I notice a decline in performance. Now if this was a Ducati, Harley, or some other bike I would have the valves checked.
respectfully,
David Miller

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yup, I'm kind of in agreement. Have at it, enjoy yourself, if you enjoy that kind of thing. But you won't find any thing wrong. All you really need to do is the oil & filter, maybe tires if they're worn.

I just replaced most of those things for the second time in eight years and 37k, the front brakes I just did for the first time.

You've a lot of miles before you really need to do anything. But that doesn't inspire confidence before a big ride. So have at it and enjoy.

Oh, I think you missed checking tire pressure. :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
fernando, personally I would do all the things you mention in your service list with the exception of checking the valve clearances. They are not due until 14.500miles. Don't miss them at that mileage though. I've seen plenty that need adjusting at that time (bucket and shim type) both the 400 and the 650. It's simple to check them, anyone can do the check. Not everyone can do the adjustment if needed so take it to a dealer if you do not want to do that part of it. If you wait until you notice a decline in performance before checking them it can be too late as the damage can already have begun and cannot be undone without a strip. These alloy head with inserts damage very easily on high revving engines if the valves go out. Most owners won't even know the valves are out until it's too late as initially you don't notice a change in performance just a lumpy idle when hot. Performance can then drop off slowly over a long period of time and you just don't notice it until too late.

Re checking torque on frame and engine bolts. There is not much to do. Just feel tension rather than trying to turn the bolts. Do the calipers, centre stand, side stand, silencer support bolts, rear subframe to engine bolts, rear axle nut, front axle nut and anything that looks like you can get to it easily. Oh, the front exhaust downpipe to silencer nut is worth checking tension on too. I had one last month with a loose bolt in for service. Other than that you will be good to go.

Have fun on your trip. It sounds exciting. You shouldn't get any problems with the bike. That's what they are designed for.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would check the front wheel bearing grease. Mine was hard and dry.

Thanks for the advice QM. I do have a lumpy idle with my 400. It may just be the engine or it may be what you say. I'm right at 14,000 and fixing to do a 1,600 mile trip. Guess I need to get'r done!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts