Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm, Wondering For any one who knows if The Cylinder ever needs to be De-carbonated, How much Carbon Deposits had Built up, And should i Open the Valve Head,Piston Crown, And Check it, If So What's the Risk

Or Should not worry about it?

Could i use Oven Cleaner by Spraying it into the Intake or Spark Plug Port and let it leak out the EX Exhaust port, Or does that Seafoam work to remove the Carbon.

Questions any One..

Elliott,

·
Registered
341 Posts
You got me, but I'll be looking for the answer.
I would think you don't want to put oven cleaner in your engine, though.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I'm, Wondering For any one who knows if The Cylinder ever needs to be De-carbonated, How much Carbon Deposits had Built up, And should i Open the Valve Head,Piston Crown, And Check it, If So What's the Risk

Or Should not worry about it?
No, do not worry about it. Modern gasolines contain many additives to prevent the carbon deposits you fear and unless an engine has been severely abused by repeated cold or other over-rich operation it is very unlikely there are any significant build-ups. The former (repeated cold operation) should never be done on any engine in the first place; the latter (other over-rich operation) is nearly impossible on a contemporary "water-cooled¹" EFI fueled engine.

Could i use Oven Cleaner by Spraying it into the Intake or Spark Plug Port and let it leak out the EX Exhaust port, Or does that Seafoam work to remove the Carbon.
Good God no to oven cleaner, or for that matter Seafoam. Seafom was developed in the 1950s to clean out marine engines that were generally run cold in Northern climes and/or improperly stored during the winter--that's the "Sea" part of the product name. IMHO its use is never indicated in any modern motorcycle or automotive engine unless the current or previous owner(s) is/were complete idiots who repeatedly drove it on only five mile trips; or changed the oil one quart at a time when the "light" came on, or never.

My '03 400 has 32k miles on it and I would not, even in my wildest dreams/nightmares, EVER consider "treating" it with Seafoam...

Questions any One..

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
No decarbonization needed on a four stroke. Just open the throttle up every once in awhile.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Elliot, are you concerned about a carbon ring at the top or a ridge ring?

I tend to agree with the others on the carbon ring. I've also heard that a ridge ring shouldn't be a problem either.

Take care friend, and have a good 2014.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi Elliot, some good advice by previous posters. I echo their sentiment. You just don't need to be concerned about carbon build up in modern engines, especially the short stroke higher revving type such as our Burgmans. They pretty much keep themselves clear. Over the years I've had the heads off numerous bikes and scoots, all four strokes. Rarely will you see a carbon build up. The only thing I would say is that the use of a fuel system engine cleaner is a good idea now and again. Maybe once a year. We don't get Seafoam over here so I cannot comment on that.

Modern fuels burn just as dirtily as older fuels from a few years back. The only reason the engine does not get dirty is the new additives that fuel companies put in and some nifty engineering which helps to keep engines cleaner. However, in Europe (probably in the US too) not all cleaners in fuel are first grade. Some companies selling cheaper gas will use second grade cleaners. The fuel will still comply with all the rules but it doesn't burn as clean. But all fuel leaves a deposit of some kind in the fuel lines, petrol tank, and on the injector in the form of a sticky gum, and carbon on the injector. This is easily removed with a fuel system cleaner. Owners often don't notice a difference in the performance of the bike as it's a gradual thing. But after treatment with a cleaner in the fuel the bike can feel like new. Techs use fuel system cleaner in customer cars and bikes too from time to time at service to improve running but you must follow instructions on the bottle. Don't overdose! Add in cleaners are mostly Naptha (jet fuel) with some other chemicals for cleaning in them. So no damage to seals or engine will result from use but often owners notice an improvement in both performance and mpg's. It just depends how the bike has been used as to how much crude has built up...but it certainly won't be carbon on the piston.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
SEAFOAM -- Comments. I am not an expert by any means. I am alos not an advocate of gas additives - have never used any before. Not even to stabilize the gas in my Motorhome that sometimes sat for months (after 7 years of travel, the travel dropped off - finally sold it).

That said:

I bought a used 2008 NINJA with 1000 miles, garage kept. Idle was messed up (big time, it was all over the place from barely running to 3000 rpm idle after running some miles on a Hot Day).

I understand Pilot Jets are a problem on those 500 NINJAs. especially if they set as much as this one did (1000 miles in 3 years and most of that was in the first year - Pre Owner got scared to ride).

Back to SEAFOAM -- friend that has years of MC experience said, "Might need to clean the Pilot Jrets --- but try SEAFOAM first (do not try any other cleaner)".

I took his advice and after a few tanks of gas with SEAFOAM added and continuous adjusting of the idle screw along the way, things finally settled out. . NO MORE PROBLEMS (Now at 43000 miles).

So, every once in awhile in the last 2 or 3 years - I run a little SEAFOAM thru my bikes.

Many people swear by SEAFOAM. :confused:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Driving the bike 1000 miles in year 1, then not at all in years 2 and 3, is certainly
improper storage--making that engine qualify for trying Seafoam before yanking it apart...

Also after 22 years living here I sometimes forget about winter, we don't have it...

Re: "Many people swear by SEAFOAM.", many people voted for Obama too...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Also after 22 years living here I sometimes forget about winter, we don't have it...
Sure we have winter down here - it's the BEST time to ride! :eek:ccasion7:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I learned about Seafoam years ago from the garage that worked on our company cars. Back then, the GM x-body 4 cylinder engines had a problem with carbon buildup that made it necessary to remove the head to clean it out. They found that they could rev the engine up, hold the speed steady, pour Seafoam down the carb or throttle body and it would remove the carbon while smoking like crazy. Saved everyone a ton of money. Some old timers said you could do the same thing with water.

Using premium in an engine that is designed for regular can cause carbon buildup. My brother found that out with a new Mercury when he took it in under warranty for poor engine performance. They replaced the oxygen sensor and warned him that they would not do it again if he continued to use premium. He had no more problems. Premium can cause buildup on engines not designed for it because burns slightly slower.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Driving the bike 1000 miles in year 1, then not at all in years 2 and 3, is certainly
improper storage--making that engine qualify for trying Seafoam before yanking it apart...

Misunderstanding --- Not all 1000 miles were the first year, I said most.
I think as I rememebr PO saying, he got scared after about 600 miles or so and the next 2 years only rode short rides around the neighborhod once in awhile.

Not that it mattrers, it ran fione - just the idle was messed up when I test rode it and when I rode it home about 35 miles. Then I started using SEAFOAM.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Sure we have winter down here - it's the BEST time to ride! :eek:ccasion7:
I spent 45 years in Massachusetts (Cape Cod mostly), Maine, New Hampshire and a year in Quebec--I tell my wife, a Saint Augustine girl, all the time that we do not have "winter" here. Many call it that but calling it winter does not make it so.

My last home "up North" was in Manomet MA, their forecast is for 8" to 10" of snow today and tomorrow and 5°F Friday night...

·
Premium Member
794 Posts

Sounds like atempt to get political. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lets see here Guys, This SEAFOAM what does it do? Besides Smoke like a Old Train, Does it somehow get on the Carbon Deposits and Burn it off.. ???

Im gonna take you guys Advice and not worry about Opening the Valve Chamber it's just to much of a hassle to deal with Cams,Shims,Buckets, Timing, Chain,Etc,Etc

I guest it's best to leave it Alone... if it's runs Why not mess with it?

I can just Imagine Going inside and putting it all back together and All of Sudden it's Seize..............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts