Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 3 dealers in my area, 3 different costs. Range, 150, 195 and 250. Pays to shop around.
Cheers, Gary :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
True, but make sure they are all doing the same thing.
My home town dealer never had one in the shop till mine
and was telling me how much trouble it was to get to both spark plugs.
I guess it would be a lot of trouble, since I have a 400.. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Randy said:
True, but make sure they are all doing the same thing.
My home town dealer never had one in the shop till mine
and was telling me how much trouble it was to get to both spark plugs.
I guess it would be a lot of trouble, since I have a 400.. :roll:
1 cylinder= 1 spark plug. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
2 dealers in my area; dealer 1=$125.00
dealer 2=$210.00

These dealers are only 7 miles apart. Hmmmmm......... wonder which one I will choose? And those prices are the same regardless which dealer i purchase the Burgman from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
JD said:
2 dealers in my area; dealer 1=$125.00
dealer 2=$210.00

These dealers are only 7 miles apart. Hmmmmm......... wonder which one I will choose? And those prices are the same regardless which dealer i purchase the Burgman from.
Check with both dealers to make sure what service they are actually performing for that price. I'm betting the $125 does not include adjusting the valves which should be done at the 600 mile service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
billmeek said:
JD said:
2 dealers in my area; dealer 1=$125.00
dealer 2=$210.00

These dealers are only 7 miles apart. Hmmmmm......... wonder which one I will choose? And those prices are the same regardless which dealer i purchase the Burgman from.
Check with both dealers to make sure what service they are actually performing for that price. I'm betting the $125 does not include adjusting the valves which should be done at the 600 mile service.
I'll have to check on that. Thanks Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Check and double check: about a year ago I was looking at the Burgs at a dealer and asked the maintenance guy how often the valves needed adjustment on the the 400. Reply: 15000 miles. So, if you went to him you can bet it was nothing much other than oil/filter change. Something you can do for $12-20 depending on brand of oil. And I can assure you that if they were out of filters you would only get an oil change, but be charged for the filter anyway. Tell them you want the filter put in a bag so you can take it home and examine it for metal particles...or whatever.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but its really hard for dealers to get, and keep, good mechanics. If you know one, be real nice to him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
You can always scratch the filter before taking it in and ask them to cut open the old oil filter and let you inspect the filter. That's standard operating procedure when you get your oil changed on a certificated aircraft. (The cut open filter, not the scratch. The scratch is so you can identify your own filter if you don't trust them.) Shouldn't be a big deal for any competent bike shop.

Of course if you request an oil change after 5 hours since the last oil change, and you know the mechanics very well. Expect them to throw a handful of metal shavings in the cut open oil filter before they hand it to you. :twisted:

That's another story though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Rob, after you cut open the aircraft filter, what do you normally find inside? That is, how is it examined? I'm aware that some aircraft owners regularly have the oil tested, but what does the filter show?

I took the first filter off my 400, and because they have no metal covering, it was easy to put it in a jar of kerosene, slosh it around to see what washed out, which was a fair amount of metal particles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. Next week I will take it in to the one that quoted 150 plus parts, but before I leave it I'll go over exactly what they will do.
:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Gary..don't know if you have the time, or if they will allow, but ask if you can watch "just so you will know what the engine looks like"....Then you'll know for sure that the valves get adjusted.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top