Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the UK, I am looking to buy my first burgman 400... I would like peoples opinions on the 2017(current model) compared to the previous model upto 2017. Obviously in the current lock down situation I have more than enough time on my hands to make a decision on which to buy ?. The type of comparison I am after is thing like comfort, wind protection and comfortable causing speed? Another input would be most welcome re pro and cons or either model.

Regards AL

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Welcome Mate, you have come to the right place.

Why swing on the vine when you can have the grapes...expand your search to include an early B650.

Paging Plum loco !

Reactions: AL8

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'll offer my thoughts for you to ponder while someone who actually knows something is typing... I did some of this research before I got my 2011. Bottom line for me was that I got such an incredible deal on an excellent condition earlier model it wouldn't have made sense to buy new. At the time there were no previously owned 2017+ models available.

There are the obvious differences in the visuals - they put the new one on a diet and made it a little sportier looking. For some a big negative was it lost some underseat storage capacity. Not really an issue for me as 99% of the time it's empty anyway.

As far as comfort and wind, I can't compare the two but from what I've seen on most all scooters and motorcycles is that is a very personal judgement. What one person thinks is perfectly fine can be horrible for another. Whatever you get you may want to personalize it with aftermarket seat, backrest, windscreen, etc. if your budget allows. If you are very tall, legroom might be a consideration; not sure how that compares between the two versions but there are options there as well.

The 2017+ has a larger front tire and a stiffer frame, so supposedly it handles a little better. I think there are some minor differences in the engine, but I don't think power and cruising speed would be very much affected. Either one has no problems cruising at 80 mph on the freeways. A lot of us have changed variator weights to tailor the "gearing" more to our liking.

I would say a lot of it comes down to things like your budget, color or visual preference, what's available in your area, do you want a factory warranty, etc, as opposed to things like mechanical improvements. Ideally you would be able to test ride one of each model to help make your decision, but that is a long shot for many reasons. And some people just want a new or newer bike so they don't have to worry right away about all the general maintenance items. I would also be interested to hear from folks who have ridden both for their observations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome Mate, you have come to the right place.

Why swing on the vine when you can have the grapes...expand your search to include an early B650.

Paging Plum loco !
Hi, thanks for the welcome, I run bmw touring bikes so the 650 Burgman is similar weight to those... I am want something a little lighter. Also the cost I be able to purchase a much newer 400 for the same money.

I'll offer my thoughts for you to ponder while someone who actually knows something is typing... I did some of this research before I got my 2011. Bottom line for me was that I got such an incredible deal on an excellent condition earlier model it wouldn't have made sense to buy new. At the time there were no previously owned 2017+ models available.

There are the obvious differences in the visuals - they put the new one on a diet and made it a little sportier looking. For some a big negative was it lost some underseat storage capacity. Not really an issue for me as 99% of the time it's empty anyway.

As far as comfort and wind, I can't compare the two but from what I've seen on most all scooters and motorcycles is that is a very personal judgement. What one person thinks is perfectly fine can be horrible for another. Whatever you get you may want to personalize it with aftermarket seat, backrest, windscreen, etc. if your budget allows. If you are very tall, legroom might be a consideration; not sure how that compares between the two versions but there are options there as well.

The 2017+ has a larger front tire and a stiffer frame, so supposedly it handles a little better. I think there are some minor differences in the engine, but I don't think power and cruising speed would be very much affected. Either one has no problems cruising at 80 mph on the freeways. A lot of us have changed variator weights to tailor the "gearing" more to our liking.

I would say a lot of it comes down to things like your budget, color or visual preference, what's available in your area, do you want a factory warranty, etc, as opposed to things like mechanical improvements. Ideally you would be able to test ride one of each model to help make your decision, but that is a long shot for many reasons. And some people just want a new or newer bike so they don't have to worry right away about all the general maintenance items. I would also be interested to hear from folks who have ridden both for their observations.
Hi, thanks for your response, one main reason for the deliberation is over here in the UK a 2014 model with low mileage is going to cost me approximately £3500 or i can buy 2018 with just 2000 miles on for £4000 so a 4 year younger bike with less miles and remaining warranty for just £500 more. So will the comfort, and extra features out way the economics of the purchase of the newer burgman?

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
We have a bunch of guys here that moved over from BMW RTs and Honda Gold Wings to Burgman 650’s and they’re really happy ..... Before you pull the trigger do yourself a favor and test ride a B650. You might find you can lighten the stable of some german stuff....Disclaimer I still have some German Stuff.

Reactions: R1200 and AL8

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a bunch of guys here that moved over from BMW RTs and Honda Gold Wings to Burgman 650’s and they’re really happy ..... Before you pull the trigger do yourself a favor and test ride a B650. You might find you can lighten the stable of some german stuff....Disclaimer I still have some German Stuff.
[/
Great advice... thank you.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
................................. of some German stuff....Disclaimer I still have some German Stuff.
They have shots to cure that. Für Ihre Gesundheit!

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I put 87,000 miles on a 2007 650 I bought for like $4500 dollars with 5000 miles on it. The CVT went and I striped it down to try the jack up frame to get to the CVT. The decided I did not want to mess with it and sold (gave it away) for $200 to guy that wanted to fix it. The only other problem I had with the 650 was a major voltage spike that blew every light that was on and the 12v input to the Computer. I was lucky to find the bad Computer and a used Computer module for around $100 on EBay (same exact PN). Anyway, I was able to fix that and rode for many more mills.

Anyway, decided a 400 suit me better for my rides. Local 125 mile radius day rides (Mtn area of east TN and all kind of roads from gravel, to pig paths LOL). That said, the 400 is easily capable of a trip as can cruise at 70 and top speed around 90 to 95. Handles good and gets better gas mileage (like 60 mpg). You can easily change the belt your self (say every 18000 miles). I posted my belt experiences and showed pictures of procedure on another post.

That said, all depends on what you like and I would do another 650 (despite the DANG CVT Issue - good for from 50,000 to maybe even 100,000 miles and not have to change a belt regularly - but when it goes, $$$$$). And a lot of $$$$ if you can't do the work yourself.

The 650 would be better on a long, higher speed trip and for doubling up. However, the 400 is adequate for both of those conditions. I did like the 650 with a rear car tire. I used a car tire on the 400 twice, hard to seat, and 3rd one (same model) would not seat (damaged the bead on the tire trying). So, back to MC tire at a lousy 6000 + miles per tire. GROAN.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I own a late 2018 model, my first scooter since a 250 Piaggio Hexagon.
Having decided that I'm not putting the mileage on "proper" motorbikes like I used to I decided on the 400 Burgman for decent MPG and ease of use, also I liked the look of it!

All I can say is that I have not been disappointed! I had the bike delivered with factory heated grips and a Givi rack and top box, the only other addition since has been a Givi "Airflow" screen (which has proved excellent), the bike was really a purchase made with the "head rather than the heart", however, since taking delivery we (SWMBO likes it a lot) have used it more than the last couple of bikes ever were; it returns about 68MPG, can cope with 70MPH or so 2 up, has great weather protection and a case of 6 bottles of wine fits easily under the seat!
I understand that the previous model had more under seat storage, however, with the top box fitted we find it has ample carrying capacity.

I can only add that it takes conviction (especially in the UK) to try a powered two wheeler other than a "proper" motorbike but I realise that this is all really down to perceptions, our biker media and peer pressure; our Euro friends have no such preconceptions and are better off for it. Dealers have demonstrators - track one down and try it with an open mind...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I own a late 2018 model, my first scooter since a 250 Piaggio Hexagon.
Having decided that I'm not putting the mileage on "proper" motorbikes like I used to I decided on the 400 Burgman for decent MPG and ease of use, also I liked the look of it!

All I can say is that I have not been disappointed! I had the bike delivered with factory heated grips and a Givi rack and top box, the only other addition since has been a Givi "Airflow" screen (which has proved excellent), the bike was really a purchase made with the "head rather than the heart", however, since taking delivery we (SWMBO likes it a lot) have used it more than the last couple of bikes ever were; it returns about 68MPG, can cope with 70MPH or so 2 up, has great weather protection and a case of 6 bottles of wine fits easily under the seat!
I understand that the previous model had more under seat storage, however, with the top box fitted we find it has ample carrying capacity.

I can only add that it takes conviction (especially in the UK) to try a powered two wheeler other than a "proper" motorbike but I realise that this is all really down to perceptions, our biker media and peer pressure; our Euro friends have no such preconceptions and are better off for it. Dealers have demonstrators - track one down and try it with an open mind...
Thanks for your input, all I have to go off at the moment is what I read on line... I haven't even seen one in the flesh due to the current covid 19. The main negative I hear is the seat comfort and it being a little cramped? Have you done some big mile days? How do you find it?

Regards Al

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hi, thanks for your response, one main reason for the deliberation is over here in the UK a 2014 model with low mileage is going to cost me approximately £3500 or i can buy 2018 with just 2000 miles on for £4000 so a 4 year younger bike with less miles and remaining warranty for just £500 more. So will the comfort, and extra features out way the economics of the purchase of the newer burgman?
All else being equal, between these two I would go for the 2018. Practically a new bike at a very reasonable price. I don't know how pricing and sales are over there, but you may be able to bargain it down for even less.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All else being equal, between these two I would go for the 2018. Practically a new bike at a very reasonable price. I don't know how pricing and sales are over there, but you may be able to bargain it down for even less.
That's my train of thought to go for the newer model for just a few extra £'s, just hoping it lives up to the reputation on the older model ?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
supposedly better riding handling with bigger 15" rim. the older was no slouch
a bit better mpg
seat is very much narrower and less back support then older
less glove box space in front.
1 hp less though euro 5 standard engine in new. but variator may be tweaked so negligible difference between both
hopeful stva issue in throttle body had been resolved in newer bike.
led lights in front of new
foot pegs in newer vs complete foot rests for passenger
sportier looking in new though thats a matter of taste. I think the rear in the new look better then the old but the front in the old looks far nicer then the new

older bike had (ugli-ish-but a personal preference) chromed square mirrors. new ones are black and look a bit sleeker. both are good quality
old had matte paint of grey or gloss white. not sure what newer has to offer. wish they offerred more colors.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi, thanks for the welcome, I run bmw touring bikes so the 650 Burgman is similar weight to those... I am want something a little lighter. Also the cost I be able to purchase a much newer 400 for the same money.
I owned the BMW R650LS, R1150RS, F800GS, R1200R. All these bikes feel lighter than the my B650. IMO, Even my former R1200 felt lighter than my B650. I sold my B650 to buy the R1200 however the B650 was so smooth, smoother than my R1200 that I bought back my B650 after putting 20,000 miles on my R1200. Of the BMW R1200 series, the R1200 had the least quirks, least recalls(only one regarding the brake line). Don't get me wrong as I love the smoothness of the R1200 engine compared to the R1150 engine. So I have the utmost respect for the R1200. The CVT on the B650 made pushing the R1200 seem easy. Even after I bought my Goldwing 1800, the Goldwing in neutral was easier to push around than the B650. So it may be worth your while to look at the B650 as it is the smoothest bike I ever owned, smoother than my Goldwing 1800. Suspension on the BMWs and Goldwings of course are better for high speed cruising. I've owned multiple Goldwings 1100, 1200, 1500, 1800. The only Goldwing as smooth or maybe smoother than my B650, IMO was the Goldwing 1500.

Interesting that I would sell my Goldwing as fixing the garage took over a year and I had to leave my Goldwing in a friend's garage on a trickle charger and 'Stabilize' in the gas tank. Traffic was really bad prior to CV-19, so I sold my Goldwing for looking for a smaller motorcycle. Even the B650 felt too big for splitting lanes as I saw other motorcycles passing me with smaller profiles.

I had a choice between 2 motorcycles and 2 scooters. I was tempted by the small profile of the newer B650 vs. my K9. For all practical purposes I chose the 2018 B400.

I'm not that concerned about the earlier B400s versus the newer B400s like what I have. IMHO, I think both 400s are good bikes and I wouldn't have a problem buying the earlier 400s with regards to comfort. I adjust and adapt to any motorcycle as will you after piling on the miles on whatever bike you choose. In another post, I go more into detail why I chose the B400 over the other motorcycles and scooters in consideration. Probably by now you may have already chosen which B400 suits you best. I have no regrets purchasing my B400.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I owned the BMW R650LS, R1150RS, F800GS, R1200R. All these bikes feel lighter than the my B650. IMO, Even my former R1200 felt lighter than my B650. I sold my B650 to buy the R1200 however the B650 was so smooth, smoother than my R1200 that I bought back my B650 after putting 20,000 miles on my R1200. Of the BMW R1200 series, the R1200 had the least quirks, least recalls(only one regarding the brake line). Don't get me wrong as I love the smoothness of the R1200 engine compared to the R1150 engine. So I have the utmost respect for the R1200. The CVT on the B650 made pushing the R1200 seem easy. Even after I bought my Goldwing 1800, the Goldwing in neutral was easier to push around than the B650. So it may be worth your while to look at the B650 as it is the smoothest bike I ever owned, smoother than my Goldwing 1800. Suspension on the BMWs and Goldwings of course are better for high speed cruising. I've owned multiple Goldwings 1100, 1200, 1500, 1800. The only Goldwing as smooth or maybe smoother than my B650, IMO was the Goldwing 1500.

Interesting that I would sell my Goldwing as fixing the garage took over a year and I had to leave my Goldwing in a friend's garage on a trickle charger and 'Stabilize' in the gas tank. Traffic was really bad prior to CV-19, so I sold my Goldwing for looking for a smaller motorcycle. Even the B650 felt too big for splitting lanes as I saw other motorcycles passing me with smaller profiles.

I had a choice between 2 motorcycles and 2 scooters. I was tempted by the small profile of the newer B650 vs. my K9. For all practical purposes I chose the 2018 B400.

I'm not that concerned about the earlier B400s versus the newer B400s like what I have. IMHO, I think both 400s are good bikes and I wouldn't have a problem buying the earlier 400s with regards to comfort. I adjust and adapt to any motorcycle as will you after piling on the miles on whatever bike you choose. In another post, I go more into detail why I chose the B400 over the other motorcycles and scooters in consideration. Probably by now you may have already chosen which B400 suits you best. I have no regrets purchasing my B400.
Thanks for the response, I am pleased to hear you are happy with your current model B400, because this is a relatively new model there's not to much information online. All of the ride reports and technical information seems to be about the earlier model. I am definitely swaying towards the new model. If we weren't in this current covid 19 situation I probably wouldn't ask these questions... I would just go and look see... but in the down time the replys have been most informative ?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks for the response, I am pleased to hear you are happy with your current model B400, because this is a relatively new model there's not to much information online. All of the ride reports and technical information seems to be about the earlier model. I am definitely swaying towards the new model. If we weren't in this current covid 19 situation I probably wouldn't ask these questions... I would just go and look see... but in the down time the replys have been most informative ?
You're right with the CV-19, you may want to take advantage of you BMW touring motorcycles. The day I bought my B400 was the day they were closing down all the stores. I would have preferred to buy my B400 after the CV lockdown and as I put in another post, I would gladly keep my Goldwing 1800 because street traffic and freeway traffic is so light. I had been shopping for motorcycles for 4 months before choosing the B400 and the day I buy my B400, the restrictions started and shops close. You may not have to worry about getting your B400 for another 4-6 months even if you were willing to buy it today.

Burgman 400: 500 miles is basic break-in/wear-in -manual says 4000 rpm, 501-1000 miles Suzuki says 6,500 rpm, 1000+ up to redline. I only have about 260 miles on my B400 so others on this forum have much more experience than myself.

The BMW R1200 series and Goldwing series have a very good solid feel to them. I really like the R1200 and wish I kept it.

Below is a picture of my R1200R. 6-speed gearbox, side luggage came with the bike. I added the small windscreen which helped when cruising 75+mph. I had so many problems with BMWs except for my R1200R you see below. Easier to push around than my B650. In many ways, I like this BMW better than my Goldwing. Great for touring and I could split lanes better with my R1200 than B650 or Goldwing. I was tempted to buy the BMW 400cc scooter, but as you may already experience -the engine goes forever, but the quirks are terrible. The R1200 was an exception as it never left me stranded. My BMW R650, F800 were most problematic. My BMW 1150 always felt like the mixture was lean and some people were having the BMW shops drill holes for 'dual spark' plugs as many claimed their R1100 or R1150 was surging and dual plugs fixed the surge. The BMW R1200 was done right! It never felt lean, more than enough power, smooth and good suspension. If your BMWs are running well, you may decide to keep your BMWs rather than getting the B400 or B650.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're right with the CV-19, you may want to take advantage of you BMW touring motorcycles. The day I bought my B400 was the day they were closing down all the stores. I would have preferred to buy my B400 after the CV lockdown and as I put in another post, I would gladly keep my Goldwing 1800 because street traffic and freeway traffic is so light. I had been shopping for motorcycles for 4 months before choosing the B400 and the day I buy my B400, the restrictions started and shops close. You may not have to worry about getting your B400 for another 4-6 months even if you were willing to buy it today.

Burgman 400: 500 miles is basic break-in/wear-in -manual says 4000 rpm, 501-1000 miles Suzuki says 6,500 rpm, 1000+ up to redline. I only have about 260 miles on my B400 so others on this forum have much more experience than myself.

The BMW R1200 series and Goldwing series have a very good solid feel to them. I really like the R1200 and wish I kept it.

Below is a picture of my R1200R. 6-speed gearbox, side luggage came with the bike. I added the small windscreen which helped when cruising 75+mph. I had so many problems with BMWs except for my R1200R you see below. Easier to push around than my B650. In many ways, I like this BMW better than my Goldwing. Great for touring and I could split lanes better with my R1200 than B650 or Goldwing. I was tempted to buy the BMW 400cc scooter, but as you may already experience -the engine goes forever, but the quirks are terrible. The R1200 was an exception as it never left me stranded. My BMW R650, F800 were most problematic. My BMW 1150 always felt like the mixture was lean and some people were having the BMW shops drill holes for 'dual spark' plugs as many claimed their R1100 or R1150 was surging and dual plugs fixed the surge. The BMW R1200 was done right! It never felt lean, more than enough power, smooth and good suspension. If your BMWs are running well, you may decide to keep your BMWs rather than getting the B400 or B650.

Yeah my BMW's are running very well... I have a 2003 1150gs and a 2013 1200gs Adventure (last of the oil/air cooled model) both i have owned from new. I am planning on buying a burgman in addition to the gs's but if I gell OK with the Burgman I will probably get rid of the older gs?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for your input, all I have to go off at the moment is what I read on line... I haven't even seen one in the flesh due to the current covid 19. The main negative I hear is the seat comfort and it being a little cramped? Have you done some big mile days? How do you find it?

Regards Al
Seat I find OK but being only 5' 7" nothing is going to be cramped, most miles in one trip is about 100, but then again I wasn't doing lots more on my bikes (HD Electraglide and HD Switchback, before them various BMW's) as European trips are now done in a car.
If you are keeping one of your GS's you have big miles covered. Read last month's Motorcycle Sport and Leisure magazine - a reader has given a 2 page write up on the new 400 which may help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seat I find OK but being only 5' 7" nothing is going to be cramped, most miles in one trip is about 100, but then again I wasn't doing lots more on my bikes (HD Electraglide and HD Switchback, before them various BMW's) as European trips are now done in a car.
If you are keeping one of your GS's you have big miles covered. Read last month's Motorcycle Sport and Leisure magazine - a reader has given a 2 page write up on the new 400 which may help.
Great stuff, i will look out for that magazine article ?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
We decided to replace our 2004 Burgman 400 (non ABS) with a gently used 2016 Burgman 400 - ABS model last year. Picking a 2016 model was deliberate for three reasons. 1) price ... older years and generations usually sell for less of course; 2) the diminished under seat cargo space was a game stopper on the > 2016's and; 3) parts availability are plentiful for the 2016 (same parts for model years 2007-2016) versus something newer with fewer on-road units.

The slightly lighter weight and "thinner" styling cues of the 2017+ models weren't nearly enough to sway us towards a newer one.

For the record, we found little difference between the 2004 and 2016 models. They're both comfortable, economical, decent handling scooters that did/do everything we asked of them. The newer one is made even better by sporting the GIVI Airflow windscreen, handguards, Grip Puppies over OEM heated grips, ABS brakes (OEM), GIVI E22 side cases and a GIVI V46 rear top case painted to match the scoot. Tidbit = more overall cargo capacity than a Honda Gold Wing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts