Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This tire change went easier than any others I have done. Size 120 / 80 / 14 front tire on the Burgman 400 Scooter. Installed a SHINKO same size - $45.88 Total.

I have had good luck with KENDA on the NINJA. Keith likes his SHINKOs on his Guzzi. There is not a KENDA in that size, so figured I would try SHINKO since I am OK with the KENDA.

I did a 12 mile break in ride with lots of swerves across the lanes and some curves (not full leans, but using it a bit) and did 80 mph a couple times (indicated 80 - would be about 74 actual). All seems OK.

Tread was getting thin on the OEM Bridgestone at the 19,900 miles. Might have done another 1000 miles, but I decided to replace it as the tread wear was so uneven. The ride and handling was OK, but you could feel the tire bumpy at low speeds.

Uneven wear (some call scalloping, I think) is not uncommon as far as I am concerned, but this one is the worse I have seen.

Maybe an underlying problem?? Anybody have a KNOWLEDGABLE opinion??

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
That tire was done!

Every tire I've had on the 400 scalloped, and lasted a lot less than 20k, more like half that.

The 650 doesn't seem to scallop as much, but lasts even less, 8k. And don't even ask about the rear (5k). Tires on this bike are killing me. Thank God for Shinkos, otherwise I'd be darksiding.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies. Guess all is normal.

So, will not worry about it (I was not anyway with the use I got at it and the short time in miles that it beame pronounced, unless it gets more extreme earlier - I will just ride it). I only noticed the scalloping becoming somewhat extreme the last 3000 or so miles.

Things that normally cause it are: Low Pressure, weak suspension system, alingnment, poor tire to start with (that is for car tires on a car, so I guess same for a 2 wheeler).

Maybe things are worse for 2 wheelers when you consider the lean angles that the tire operates at for curves.

Not like I have not seen scalloping before on other bikes (just never had one this pronounced).

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
My front one had scallops toward the end of its life. I believe the common opinion was low air pressure. I run my tires a little higher than recommended with no problems noted.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Where are the Shinkos made?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Scalloping is normal wear on a motorcycle tire. it happens because the tread squirms and deforms during cornering and braking--the deformation causes the wear to be unequally distributed.

A great demonstration of this can be had by taking a new pencil and holding it perfectly vertically while scrubbing the eraser across a rough surface. Examining the eraser you will find that most of the wear is on the leading edge--this is just what happens to a bike tire when cornering and braking. On tires that last a long time and are otherwise properly mounted/inflated/etc. it becomes the predominant visible wear...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Check your front wheel bearings, scalloping tires are not a problem on my 400 after I replaced them. They felt fine on the bike, wheel off and they were ruff turning with my finger. New ones cured that and no more odd tire wear.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check your front wheel bearings, scalloping tires are not a problem on my 400 after I replaced them. They felt fine on the bike, wheel off and they were ruff turning with my finger. New ones cured that and no more odd tire wear.
Bearings seemed OK (when turn by finger) when I had the wheel off.

I tend to agree with cornering being a cause, maybe inflation except I run around 27 to 28PSI (Ride curves and curves a bunch on my rides in East TN).

First Five Pictures are on the Devils Triangle - Hwy 116 between Lake City, TN and Wartburg, TN. BY THE WAY - speed reading on GPS was hung up on 12MPH for sometime - not actual speed.

Last photo is Hwy 63 between Asheville, NC and Hwy 209 Intersection as Hwy 63 nears 209 (209 is called the Rattler and has two curvy sections). I was stopped at a pull off on the curve for a break waiting for a slow moving truck in front of me to get ahead as he was spoiling the ride. GROAN.

Many many roads around here like or better than the Dragon (assume you have heard of the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles - Hwy 129 between Tellico Plains, TN and Deals Gap MC Resort in NC).

Just for INFO -- about 600 miles on the new SHINKO (a good part was on the two rides from pictures below - plenty of curves). Handles OK so far, probbaly more curves and aggression than many riders (I am not a knee dragger, but do hang off some).

You can see more ride pictures on CRGR Photo Album: http://www.countryroads.org/gallery3/index.php/Paul/2014 the Oct 6 and 9 ride albums where with the SHINKO on front and Car Tire on rear (Over 15,000 miles on the Car tire now).

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
Paul you need more inflation on those tires. I run 33/39 front to back, scalloping doesn't exist until the tire is just about the end of its life.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Paul you need more inflation on those tires. I run 33/39 front to back, scalloping doesn't exist until the tire is just about the end of its life.
Maybe try that -- That is a big jump from recommended and some on here have said (ride is not good when getting to high air on the Burgman 400). I assume you are talking the Burgman 400 that you run 33 on front tire?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes, 07 400. Run those pressures since bought in 07. Original 3 shoe clutch but belt,guides and rollers changed. Ride is smooth and confortable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts