1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not in immediate need (soliciting comments) :confused:

However, I am shopping at Chapparal.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/assets/html/homepage.asp

I add: I have dealt with Chapparal (CA Based) for a number of transactions and have been well satisfied. They are a big operation and seem knowledgable. I have generally researched and then called in to ask questions (confirm size availability, etc.) and do the order by phone. Free shipping on orders over $100.

Item 330-1226 is Bridgestone Hoop BO3-G (OEM) 120 80-14 S Rated (112MPH) at $80.88

Item 369-874284 is SHINKO SR567 120 80 14 S Rated (112MPH) at $45.88

Item 190-9723 is Michelin City Grip 120 70 (note 70 ratio) 14 at $55.88
If I calculate correctly-Ratio Diff of 10% = 0.1 X 120 MM = 1.2CM each sidewall = 2.4CM less diameter total (about 1 inch)

Item xxxxx is Michelin Pilot SC Front (Inspired by Fuill Pilot Sport -They say, but tread shown does not look anything like a Full Pilot Sport Bike Tire that is W rated and designed for extreme lean anggles). It is listed as avaailable in 120 80 14 (apparently not in stock as you cannot select that size). You can select a 110 90 13 PRICED AT $57.88. So, do not know what a 120 80 14 would cost or even if you can get it (would have to call Chapparal). IT LOOKS LIKE A WINNER if available and reasonable (equal to or lsess than nteh Bridgestone OEM at $80.88)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You're new to the 400 and probably don't yet realize that they spend most of their time with the front wheel up in the air, so everyone's still on the factory front - they don't touch the ground often enough to wear out! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I had the best luck with Diablos on my 07 400 when I owned it. Chapparal is about 60 miles west of me & have ridden in there many a time.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You're new to the 400 and probably don't yet realize that they spend most of their time with the front wheel up in the air, so everyone's still on the factory front - they don't touch the ground often enough to wear out! :rolleyes:
Lmao, b400s were primarily designed as a two-wheeled unicycle.

Be that as it may, I run the Dunlop Scooterline. Good tire. I get about 10k on the front (of course the bike has 40k on it, I'm pretty conservative and run the front wheel in the ground half the time. Hehehe).

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I had an OEM hoop on the bike until about 18-19K. Replaced it when the scalloping got too bad.

Replaced it with a Michelin PP Sport and had that on for 10 K. Had at least another 10K left in it but got a puncture in it and had to get it replaced on-the-fly.

The PP Sport got replaced at a Suzuki service center that only stocked Hoops so that is what is on it now (and for the next 17K or so).

When I got the PP Sport I could not find 120 80 14 in stock so I went with 120 70 14. I'm sure there exists some who would notice the difference. I'm not one of them.

For that matter, I don't notice any significant different between Hoops and PP Sport. In the future, I'll probably let availability and, to some extent, price drive my next purchase.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for a few inputs.

Being cheap and having had good luck with KENDA on my NINJA 500 and a friend has used SHINKO on his Moto Guzzi and is happy.

I may try the SHINKO. It will be sometimne before I need as I have only 6500 miles on the OEM and it loks like about 1/2 worn out. Howeevr, I am needing a rear tire for the NINJA soon and may order both at same time to save shipping.

I did stick with Bridgestones on my 650 and happy with them (I think near 16000 or so on front - rear another story at about 6000 or 700 miels until I put a car tire on the rear). I have all ready put Car Tire on the 400 rear (posted a lot about that in another topic).

I get about 16000 or so on my NINJA with the KENDA (front, back is like 6000 to 8000).

Maybe, I will be the 'ginny pig' and try the Shinko on the Burgman 400.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Maybe, I will be the 'ginny pig' and try the Shinko on the Burgman 400.
Paul
As your the ginny pig for darkside 400 folks might as well for the Shinko front also. With only getting 5k from my rear Shinko there was no way I was going to try one on the front. ;)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I had great success with Kenda on my cruiser. I was very disappointed that they don't make a scooter tire in an appropriate size for the 400.

I may go the CT route since I'm going through 2 rear tires a year and it's almost never convenient to schedule the change. As a result I tend to push my tires beyond their reasonable service life.

My only reservation with the Shinko's is that they have received some bad press on this board regarding quality issues vis a vis manufacturing consistency. The PP got some pans for other things, but not quality. It's a bit of a thing with me.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I put Pirelli Diablo's on mine. I haven't had it long enough to know how many miles I'm going get. I do like the feel of them though.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Paul
As your the ginny pig for darkside 400 folks might as well for the Shinko front also. With only getting 5k from my rear Shinko there was no way I was going to try one on the front. ;)
Exactly, well said rat.... I only got about 4k out of mine, utter junk!!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Exactly, well said rat.... I only got about 4k out of mine, utter junk!!
Interesting that the write-ups I've seen for the Shinko on a 650 are much better. Sure don't know why. I'm very much all :D with the tires I have on my 650. Not going test out the Shinko on my 650 to see if they are right ;)

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Paul
I am not sure you can judge front tire wear with the back tire.

KENDA for example - I only get about 6000 + on the Kenda Rear on the NINJA 500, but if I remember correctly, the friont with KENDA is more like 16000.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put Pirelli Diablo's on mine. I haven't had it long enough to know how many miles I'm going get. I do like the feel of them though.
I had very poor wear performance on Pirelli on the Burgman 650 (Front Tire). It had a Pirelli on it when I bought it used (not sure why it did not have the OEM Bridgestone as the Scooter only had 1700 miels on it - my guess the PO had a flat and changed it).

Anyway, I did not realize what was on it and when it wore out at 6000 + or so, I (thinking it was a Bridgestone) decided to buy a Pirelli and it only got about the same miles. So, I stuck with the Bridgestone on the Burgman 650 (front - Car Tire on Rear) after that.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probably smart to just stay with the Bridgestone HOOP. Difference in price at Chapparal is $80.88 vs $45.88 ( as indicated in my first post).

Not sure what I will do when the time comes. However, if I got a decent review on the SHINKO, I would try it for sure and may anyway (Make last minute dumb decisions sometimes). Buddy likes his SHINKOs on a Moto Guzzi 1000cc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts