Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start off by stating I am saddened when any animal/creature is struck by a motor vehicle. I regularly duck for butter fly's. Rider safety comes first however.

I was out enjoying our recent warm spell of 68F weather when I came upon a squirrel. He was stationary on the ground (maybe he just landed), and was facing me from the berm of the road. As I approached I tooted my stock horn and he reacted in a most peculiar manner. He darted onto the road and tried to halt the progress of my 600 lb scooter and rider. I couldn't react, and proceeded to re-tread him. I did not feel the impact nor did I have any control issues. A quick scan in my mirror indicated he had been done in, with regrets.

I don't know why creatures do this, but I wanted to post that this rather large red squirrel did not alter the stance of my 40 mph travel in the least. I wonder how a badger would fare?

Be safe all.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
I have to dodge at least one squirrel just about every weekend and some weekends several. One thing I have figured out is they will never do what you expect them too. In that respect they are like deer only they don't do as much damage if you actually hit them.

·
Administrator
18,379 Posts
Prairie Dogs are just as bad. You just can't out think them as to where they will stop and POP up. My list of road kill is topped by the red breasted "Robin". (Sorry Robin) It seems that they try to commit suicide by diving in front of a moving vehicle. I''ve had to remove the top tupperware a few times to dig one out. Not fun having feathers coming out of the vents and the smell........

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Middle size raccoon did not alter the Burgman 650 trajectory at all. An alarming crunch was all.
Poor critter. :(

Now that was a twisty and heeled over at speed might been a bit more exciting. :shock:

·
Registered
739 Posts
During my MSF class the instructor told us a good rule of thumb.. Don't try to dodge things and put yourself in harms way if what runs out in front of you is too big to eat in one sitting.. One day when I was very hungry, I hit a wild turkey with my MP3 500... It didn't go well for the turkey.. after a quick hose down, my MP3 was fine.. Good thing it had the cowcatcher rail on the front..

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe the squirrel would have done better if it was still flying. I also hit a bird, but it was more dramatic, since it was more of a kamikaze and came at me from the sun. It might have survived had it made it off the road way after falling. :shock:

On a more cheerful note, I have saved two tortoise by stopping and giving them a hand across the road. I only hope I placed them on the side they wanted :) You have to sympathize for something that moves that slow; can you imagine crossing a 8 lane highway on your hands and knees!

Today it is snowing so the critters are safe from me anyways. Guess I will clean up the basement.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have stopped for a two different snapping turtles in the middle of the road this past year....They both seemed to have had the opinion that they were glad I stopped and they didn't crash into me and do me in. :lol:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I believe I am up to 6 fatalities now with my little 400.
The snake was the scariest as it flung up and hit my leg....I swore I was bit me but it had just slap me good. :roll:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I ran over one of those yappy little poodles about 1970. I was on a CB160, riding to work. This darned little ratdog used to chase after me every time I rode by, and this time he misjudged. Got him with both wheels. Of course I stopped, and the owner came out yelling "You ran over Fifi!!!". I tried to explain that the dog ran into my path, and why wasn't it tied up, when Fifi (who I really thought was dead...) got up, and started barking at the bike. The pooch then ran off like a bat out of hell. Next time I rode by, Fifi was tied up.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Over the years you develop some sixth senses. This morning I used mine.

It was a cool morning about 26F and a light haze. The dawn was just breaking and I was about half way to work. Some motion caught my eye as I crested a little berm, and there she was. A nice mature doe, I rolled off the throttle, and lightly pulled the brakes. I slowed down to a walking pace and two more doe appeared. They majestically crossed the road in front of me, I was the only traffic in their vicinity. I began watching the mirrors for the mindless cages, and was able to make it to the intersection and stop before one rolled up behind me.

I ride this route a lot and this is the second time I have seen deer here. Today it was Suzuki 0, Deer 0, a happy ending.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
I sent a dog rolling down the road today. Robin and I were out riding and she was in the lead. We were on a Farm to Market road out in the country. She went past the end of a driveway and a medium size dog came running out barking at her. Not getting there fast enough to catch her it reversed course and started back up the drive. About that time it spotted me coming and did another reverse heading back out the drive. I started inching toward the center line. The dog kept coming and now it looked like it wasn't going to stop before hitting me. I gunned the engine and swerved left but couldn't get clear of him. His head hit my muffler and I felt a thump. Lucky he didn't go on up under the rear wheel. I looked in the mirror and saw him do a couple of rolls then he was back on his feet headed back toward his house. Didn't look like he was hurt much if any so I just kept going.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it is cool to watch a line of little ducklings following mama across a roadway and the traffic is honorably stopped in both directions giving them the right-of-way. Once they have crossed and the road is clear, the people start up again with smiles on their faces knowing the have a tail to tell their little ones when they get home.
Enjoy the ride.
Nodakrider

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I am a retired MC investigator with 40+ years experience. One of the sadist cases I ever handled involved a Male driver with his 10 yr old nephew as a pass. He instinctively swerved to avoid a rabbit, and hit a telephone pole. Although he eventually recovered, his nephew didn't make it. Moral of story: don't swerve for any animal. This poor driver will forever regret that choice. Better to hit the animal and take your chances.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Or be looking ahead, have an escape plan and know what will be in front of you when you swerve.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
+1 on that idea, it's infortunate that this rider just used his "instinct" (his words)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
TwoWheelTim said:
I was out enjoying our recent warm spell of 68F weather when I came upon a squirrel. He was stationary on the ground (maybe he just landed), and was facing me from the berm of the road. As I approached I tooted my stock horn and he reacted in a most peculiar manner. He darted onto the road and tried to halt the progress of my 600 lb scooter and rider. I couldn't react, and proceeded to re-tread him. I did not feel the impact nor did I have any control issues. A quick scan in my mirror indicated he had been done in, with regrets. Snip
The 400s do have a reputation for getting a tad squirrely. :lol:

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Last summer I was riding around our beautiful Cross Lake here in Shreveport when I thought I saw a log in the road. It turned out to be a 6 foot alligator. I slowed down just to watch him and just as I got close enough he ran off to a ditch. Thank goodness I wasn't going too fast.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Had a Turkey try to kill its self under the Morini a wile back but managed to fend the
stupid beast off with my foot, had to take a few swipes before it got the hint,
we both survived.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts