Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki Burgman 200
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure the appropriate way to word this... I would say at what point do you expect the clutch to engage and drive the transmission, but I realize those are not the components involved in this drivetrain.

The short version is how many RPM's should I need to give the bike to get it going? I seem to need to rev the engine much higher than I would expect to engage the drivetrain and get the bike to start moving.

Any feedback would be much appreciated, I am a total newbie to motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
There's no fixed number, and it also depends on whether there have been changes from stock, like lighter rollers installed, clutch or spring mods, etc., but typically from around 3,000 to 4,000 rpm. (I don't own a Burg 200 but this is typical with most scooters I've dealt with.) Where is yours engaging?

·
Registered
Suzuki Burgman 200
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I would say that ours is engaging at or just after 4k RPM. We're in Colorado at +5,000ft elevation so that would also rob some power.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Someone with a 200 can chime in with their experience, but that's no cause for concern. On a 200 that's about where I would want it, much lower and it would feel sluggish off the line. It also partly depends on how hard you twist the throttle.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
What's the weather like out there at 5,000 ft? Kentucky is about the same latitude as CO and has been close to 90F many days.

·
Registered
Suzuki Burgman 200
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the weather like out there at 5,000 ft? Kentucky is about the same latitude as CO and has been close to 90F many days.
About the same here, unusually hot and in the low 90's well into September. Very pleasant mornings (until about noon) and evenings (after 6p). I guess the high heat is the new norm, as we have had multiple years in a row with the hot summers.

Thanks again for your help, 4k seemed like a lot of revs coming from the car world and manual transmissions :)

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
111 Posts
Yes, there's really no specific RPM number but in general smaller engined scooters have a higher clutch engagement rpm because they have less low rpm power/torque, the clutch on my SW600/2k, Burg400/2.4k, so aprox. 3k+ sounds about right for 200, smaller scooters usually have a higher redline and make power higher in the rpm range(powerband).

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I used to regularly run the 400 at around 9,500 rpm on the highway until I got the present sliders which brought it down to around 8,000 max. These engines are designed for higher rpm and don't mind revving. Just make sure the oil level is good and change when recommended.

I got over my rev-phobia with my son's Gixxer and my GSXS, where I've hit the rev limiter a few times, somewhere around 12,000 rpm. Not exactly sure as I wasn't looking down at the dash, lol.

Reactions: NoviceScooter

·
Registered
480 Posts
I wrote a very similar post when I got my 400, four years ago; my Chinese scoot launched at a much lower RPM.
After a while, you get used to the higher RPM take-off. The best practice is to snap the throttle open to that 4,000-5,000 RPM mark, then as you accelerate, back off to the desired amount. This saves wear & tear on the clutch.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
111 Posts
9,500? What’s the indicated redline? Isn’t peak HP down at 7,600?
Yes, that's why the "Right" sliders work so good, it keeps engine more in the "Poweband"

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
9,500? What’s the indicated redline? Isn’t peak HP down at 7,600?
9500 was at max speed with stock rollers. Not sure what redline is...I think around that. Will have to look at the bike when I get home. I think your peak HP is right on. Some time ago I bought some 17 gm DP sliders from a member who said they came with one of the variator kits (don't remember which one). Since 17 gm don't seem to be available anywhere individually, I assume they were custom made for that application. They must be a slightly different size or shape than the standard DP sliders because my cruising rpm dropped to where it was at around 7500 - 8000 at WOT and my top increased by about 5 mph over when it was at 8500-9000 rpm.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes, about 4000 to 4500 RPMs to get the bike moving.
I expect temperature affects it more than altitude.

Ride safely,

Reactions: NoviceScooter

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
On the 400 redline on the tach is 9K rpm. As noted before, in stock config it goes above that. Not sure if it has a rev limiter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2020 Burg 200 ABS and as G-Dub said, it will engage around 3500. I don't like this, but I'm not going to mess wiht it, especially while under warranty. My wife has a Honda ADV150 and the moment you increase RPMs the cluth starts to engage. I love that. It is predictable and gives you nearly immediate throttle responce. Disengagement is around the same RPM which I also find annoying. It will start freewheeling around 20+ mph with a rather sudden let go. If my wife's 150 has enough torque to handle such an immediate clutch engagement without bogging, the 200 Burgy certainly does.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts