Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear, if I get told one more time I have a bulb out. I hate how on low beam only 1 light is on and on high beam they both are on. It looks like I have a headlight on on low beam. Ive heard on the 650 both are on all the time, they just get brighter on high beam. Any way to modify this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I swear, if I get told one more time I have a bulb out. .............
Just run the bike with the high beam on during the day and the comments will only happen at night. I have had numerous motorcycles with only a single low beam headlight and my current big scooter, a BMW 650 GT, works the same way. During the day I run my 200 Burgman and my 650 BMW on high and no one has ever said anything about it. As you will see, the high beam won't bother anyone until dark.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The K7 Burgman 400 is like that too. They call them the "one-eyed Burgmans". It's was a European fad a decade ago. Suzuki switched to two-eyes in 08, not sure why they brought them back on the 200.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Just run the bike with the high beam on during the day and the comments will only happen at night. I have had numerous motorcycles with only a single low beam headlight and my current big scooter, a BMW 650 GT, works the same way. During the day I run my 200 Burgman and my 650 BMW on high and no one has ever said anything about it. As you will see, the high beam won't bother anyone until dark.
Looks like it was a simple way to fix the drive-on-left/drive-on-right problem; make a low-beam-only left headlight bucket, and a low-beam-only right headlight bucket -- wiring is the same, just install the reflector assembly appropriate to the destination market and mount the bulbs accordingly. (If each were both high/low capable, you'd need a total of four, not three, separate headlight buckets to cover Left/Right drive markets).

So, one bulb is dual-filament (high/low) and one's single-filament? Should be an easy fix, and I suspect there are already instructions posted on this site showing how to do it on a 400. The only drawback is that the upgraded "high beam" side will have a "high beam" light pattern even on low beam (which could annoy oncoming drivers), but that might be fixable by picking a replacement bulb with a lower-wattage low beam filament while keeping the same high beam filament.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I guess I wasn't clear enough and neglected to explain that on a Burgman 200 (and my BMW C 650 GT) both lights are only on when it is on high beam. Therefore, when riding in daylight the "hey you got a light out" comments will go away if you always ride with the high beam during the day.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When I had my 400, now just bought a new 200, the 400 had only one bulb lit, my friend somehow got the 2nd side to light up on low beam too, I HATE having on one light lit, I am hoping he can do the same thing for my new burgy 200......

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I guess I wasn't clear enough and neglected to explain that on a Burgman 200 (and my BMW C 650 GT) both lights are only on when it is on high beam. Therefore, when riding in daylight the "hey you got a light out" comments will go away if you always ride with the high beam during the day.
Exactly.

I was just trying to understand why they did it that way, and to figure out a way to have both lights lit when the switch is in the low beam position without blinding oncoming drivers with the high-beam-optimized light pattern from the normally-dark light. In other words, a way to solve the cosmetic issue when riding at night, too.

The "one-eyed" '07 400s could take the '08 headlight bucket (hi/lo optimized) as a drop-in fit; apparently this isn't an option with the 200. If one doesn't care about being rude, it's just a matter of swapping in a dual-filament bulb socket and bulb, and tapping into the low-beam circuit on the other side in addition to the stock high-beam circuit. If courtesy is a concern, one can either use a dual-filament bulb with a lower wattage on the low-beam filament, or use the stock high-only bulb and provide power for it from the low-beam circuit on the other side but through an inline power limiter (restricting voltage or current or using high-frequency on/off switching as in the electronic speed controls for brushed electric motors).

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The Yamaha Zuma scoots have this same issue{or similar at least - one HL was low and the other was high} and almost everybody upgraded the headlights so that both lights worked. In fact there was a guy who started a business making a plug and play wire harness to correct the bad design. Here is the link - http://www.zumalights.com/

I bet a harness similar to the Zumalights one could be made for the Burgman 200. A little bit of wire and the correct connectors is all that is needed. That and the know how.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yamaha Zuma (BW's 125) had the right bulb already installed. 1/2 hour mod to get both lights functioning the way they should. No issues with power consumption messing up the battery with Zumalites modification. Brilliant!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just had the OEM replaced with LED.
It's white so it's not efficient on the rain.
Perhaps will need to add fog lamp.
Somewhat I feel that even though it's a 28 or 30W LED, it is less striking to the eyes of incoming vehicles.

I wonder if it is legal to do it in the US though :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts