Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I now finally have my new 2014 Burgy 200, has anyone else had trouble working the gas cap on the scooter, it is NOT even close to being like the 400 I had......after 10 tries I only got it to pop and lock once...I know its not broken , there is a trick to it, that I can not figure out...any help would be great!

·
Registered
125 Posts
After only a few gas fillups, we still have problems with the gas cap install. The location does not help.... I have to remove my helmet to get at it well.

The secret that we have found is that you have to turn the key clockwise (like when opening) to get the locking teeth to retract before the cap will move the last mm to seal.

On my Hondas, you can just push the cap down fully, but so far the Burgman 200 requires turning the key, which seems counterproductive when trying to close the cap.

Maybe it will get easier with time, but currently we are considering refueling at home rather than spending 5 minutes at the gas station trying the close the tank.

scoot safely

Reactions: gec343

·
Registered
125 Posts
Let us know if you find a good /easy technique to close the cap.

scoot safely,

·
Registered
125 Posts
The gas cap seems to be getting easier to re-install. Guess it is wearing in.
Scoot safely,

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought I was the only one!! I have a terrible time getting the cap back on also. I had a Burgman 400 before this one and it was never an issue. Even if you hold the key to keep the prongs closed (which is very awkward) it won't won't lock in properly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It will work, but not easily and not the 1st time.
Removing your helmet helps you get a better view.
Lots of Luck.

scoot safely,

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I switched mine to a non-locking, much happier with it. As stated above, with a cap from a Honda Civic.
That may be the same gas cap that fits
the '03-'06 400s....a 2000 Honda Civic gas cap.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't see how the Civic gas cap will seal.
The Civic cap is a screw-in typeand the Burgman's is a finger-hold type.

??

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Sounds a lot like my 2014 B650 cap. You have to turn the key to get the cap off, and also turn the key to get the cap back on.
The other thing to note is that on my gas cap there is an inscribed arrow on the top of it and it MUST be pointing directly to the back (actually not the rear of the bike, but the back side of the fuelling door area) for it to seat. Because it won't go on in any other position, I've put a touch of white paint on the arrow so I can see it easier.

So I'd suggest seeing if you cap has an inscribed arrow (or mark) on it, note the orientation it must be in and try that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks Steve. Yes there is an arrow to point to the FRONT of the bike.
And yes, you have to use the key to open and to reinstall the cap.
Needing to turn to key to install the cap is the worst part of the operation.

Scoot safely,

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
UH200 Gas Cap

I must agree with all comments here. The UH200 gas cap is a pain to reinstall!! I'm sure glad I took the cap off before my first fuel stop. With the helpful comments, I'll now attempt again to reinstall the cap. :serious

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I must agree with all comments here. The UH200 gas cap is a pain to reinstall!! I'm sure glad I took the cap off before my first fuel stop. With the helpful comments, I'll now attempt again to reinstall the cap. :serious
Yesterday, at my first fuel up on this UH200, the sun was shining, no issues with complete visabilty in the fuel cap area, no issues with reinstalling the cap. I'm averaging 80 MPG on the first tank, but probably because still being broken in, mostly below 4000 RPM's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts