Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the Suzuki Burgman 200 can be equipped with a front passenger backrest?

·
Registered
484 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just emailed them too to ask, I am buying a 2015 Burgman 200, just got rid of my 2003 Burgman 400, had the Uptopia backrest on that , loved it, hope it will fit on my new 200 Did you find anything out from them? Diana

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The 200 does not have the movable drive buttstop like the 400 and 650 have. That means it will be more difficult to do an aftermarket driver backrest. You can't just use the buttstop or it's mount to attach the backrest like you can on the 400 and 650.

Any backrest would have to be designed so that you could punch holes in the seat cover and bolt it to the seat pan underneath. You might be able to make some kind of attaching mount so that you could use the Utopia from the 400 but it is not going to be just a bolt on affair. Custom fabrication work is going to be involved.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I called them again, they want me to send the seat to them....urghhhhhhhhhhh
...which means, that they haven't had a chance
to 'experiment' with anybody elses seat yet.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I called them again, they want me to send the seat to them....urghhhhhhhhhhh
Did they offer any discount for using your seat to make the first one? It may be worth asking.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Did they offer any discount for using your seat to make the first one? It may be worth asking.
It might also mean that they don't yet have an extra seat pan to modify and ship (though this may be the first one they've done, who knows?) and instead have to work on the one the customer sends in, rather than treating it like a rebuildable core. If the volume ends up being there, it will become worth it to them to obtain that extra one.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Rusty I would agree with you if we were talking about a seat. But I don't see why they would need to modify a seat pan for a backrest.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Because the B200 seat pan does not have an adjustable butt-stop, unlike both the B400 and B650. There's nothing on the seat pan to which a backrest could be attached, so it's not just a plug-and-play add-on. They'll have to mount the backrest to the seat pan itself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Because the B200 seat pan does not have an adjustable butt-stop, unlike both the B400 and B650. There's nothing on the seat pan to which a backrest could be attached, so it's not just a plug-and-play add-on. They'll have to mount the backrest to the seat pan itself.

Yep - been looking at that issue on my seat. Don't know what the pros might do but I'm looking at a formed piece of double L acrylic (think of 2 Ls back to back) bolted onto the under-seat polypropylene pan with wide flat steel crossbars to distribute the stress.

The concept is to use 2 Ls (actually the Ls will be curved to simulate those super comfy seats you see on GoldWings and avoid "spears in a crash) as a base to apply appropriate foam padding.

I've a family member whose business deals with formed plastics so its a freebie for me - not too sure how someone else would do it.

Its all a work in progress - but the seat bump is definitely going to die and I'm shooting for a backrest!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am going to call them again and ask if I ship the seat out , with my 400 Utopia set, from my old bike, will they give me it free or a large discount :)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
TWEETYPI58 if they can use your old backrest and use your seat as the test seat to make the mounting bracket I think that would be a fair deal.
When I sold my 400 and bought my Morphous I made the mounting bracket for the Morphous myself and used the rest of the backrest from the Burgman.
I think Utopia makes the best backrest out there. Really it may be the only real backrest being made for scooters. All the rest are just buttstop adapters, nothing wrong with them just not something designed specifically for a backrest.
The removable bag that Utopia puts on the back of their backrest is handy too.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
The concept is to use 2 Ls (actually the Ls will be curved to simulate those super comfy seats you see on GoldWings and avoid "spears" in a crash) as a base to apply appropriate foam padding.
That's an excellent consideration, and one that's often overlooked.

This also applies to anything attached to the handlebars or fairing as well -- in a front or rear collision, what happens when you're thrown forward or backwards into the accessories mounted to your bike? You want them to either bend out of the way, break away cleanly, or break without sharp edges or points.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The 200 does not have the movable drive buttstop like the 400 and 650 have. That means it will be more difficult to do an aftermarket driver backrest. You can't just use the buttstop or it's mount to attach the backrest like you can on the 400 and 650.

Any backrest would have to be designed so that you could punch holes in the seat cover and bolt it to the seat pan underneath. You might be able to make some kind of attaching mount so that you could use the Utopia from the 400 but it is not going to be just a bolt on affair. Custom fabrication work is going to be involved.
An eyballing of it (dealer's showroom) suggests the 400 saddle MIGHT fit.

It's an involved mod, first getting a saddle and then putting an aftermarket backrest on it...but there it is.

·
Registered
194 Posts
UPDATE :) Utopia is now making the bracket for the 200 backrest, I already have the backrest from them , from my 400 so they have a mounting bracket for approx. $70..00 including shipping. I am so excited that I can use the bracket from my Burgman 400 on the new 200 :) YIPPYYYYYYYYYY Diana

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Why is it necessary on a small scooter meant for short trips?
That would be up to the individual to decide if back support was necessary. People put many different accessories on their vehicles that they feel they need but someone else may think are unnecessary. Usefulness is different than necessary. It would be a boring world if everyone thought the same. Heck there's been people ride cross country on 50cc scooters, that's not for me but if I did I'd need a backrest to do it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Utopia for Burgman 200

I called them again, they want me to send the seat to them....urghhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE I have the mounting bars coming to me asap...unless you already have the utopia backrest, the parts are no good to you.....the backrest alone is appox 200.00, I have mine from my burgy 400 that will be modified from what they came up with...I did not have to send my seat out to them, someone else had a burgman 200 they could work from :) I am thrilled I will have my Utopia backrest back in play on the burgy 200! :kermit:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts