Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the local Suzuki dealer this week to get an oil filter and asked about the 1st (600 mile) service. He said it cost about $120 and did NOT include checking the valves. They only check valves when the engine needs it. They check for loose bolts, change oil and filter and change spark plug. With that knowledge, I decided to do my own oil change.

But I was glad he was honest about the valve check.

SCOOT SAFELY,

·
Registered
273 Posts
How can they know if the valves need adjusting if they don't check them? If your owners manual says to check them at 600 miles, then for peace of mind, I would check them .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Went to the local Suzuki dealer this week to get an oil filter and asked about the 1st (600 mile) service. He said it cost about $120 and did NOT include checking the valves. They only check valves when the engine needs it. They check for loose bolts, change oil and filter and change spark plug. With that knowledge, I decided to do my own oil change.

But I was glad he was honest about the valve check.

SCOOT SAFELY,

Well - that is very different than my dealer's 600 mile service, which included a valve check. It is specified in the OM. I'm really surprised that your dealer doesn't conform to the OM service specifications.

My service cost just under $300 (suburban MD/DC area prices) and was done by a personal friend who currently works at the dealership. I've been using this guy for years through various makes and several dealerships.

That 1st valve check is (according to my mechanic friend and every other new scooter maintenance source I've ever read) a really important service. The entire service took about 3 hrs - I waited for it.

Page 7-4 of my OM specifically states the 600 service includes a valve check. It is actually the most expensive part of the service due to tupperware/access time.

Not trying to be a pain in the butt or pretend to have knowledge I definitely don't - but I'd seriously question your local mechanic/dealership regarding all recommended service issues and warranty coverage for OM requirements.

I wouldn't want to give Suzuki any reason to question proper maintenance if a future issue happens - that is just me - I'm not the trusting type.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not impressed with the local Suzuki dealer either (we purchased the Burgman 200 elsewhere). Guess I figure that the engine will last as long as my wife wants to ride even without a valve check, or I will do it myself later this year when it is warmer. Just not interested in working with the local dealer about this. Other dealers are 45 and 75 miles away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm definitely not a guru on the subject but do think you would notice if the valves are not set right - it would show up real quick in performance (and noise). You should be fine.

The 600 mile service is really for the MFG. to be sure the unit is good to go after break-in and clean out of the initial mechanical wear with the oil/filter change. The valve check is just an extra precaution to limit warranty issues. It is a bit contradictory to my earlier post but true to my imperfect knowledge. It would be highly unlikely that the factory "set" wasn't good.

I'm a twit (I used to hot rod 283/327 Chevys in my youth - if you can relate to those engines you're in my geezer group) and always do an oil/filter change at 100 miles on any new engine. I think its particularly wise on the smaller scoot engines. An oil/filter change is really cheap insurance for longevity and doesn't cost much. Ride safe amigo.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice day, so I changed the oil & filter today. The filter cover has 1 bolt that is close to the exhaust pipe. You can't use a socket or box-end wrench (8mm) on it so you had better have a good open-end wrench. I reused the o-rings and put anti-seize on the filter bolts in hopes that they will be easier to undo next time. A bit of oil dripped on the exhaust, so next time I will cover the exhaust pipe with aluminum foil before removing the filter cover. 1 qt and 400 ml seemed about the right amount of oil.

Scoot safely

1 - 6 of 6 Posts