Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Hello - I purchased my very first bike a 650 Burgman and love it. My husband rides a Yamaha V-Star 1100. Together we ride as often as possible. Haven't made a long trip yet, but intend to. Love to hear from any lady riders in Edmonton

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Mom. Glad to have you join us.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mom the Biker said:
:) Hello - I purchased my very first bike a 650 Burgman and love it. My husband rides a Yamaha V-Star 1100. Together we ride as often as possible. Haven't made a long trip yet, but intend to. Love to hear from any lady riders in Edmonton
Mom,
Welcome! hope you are enjoying the new ride. My wife also rides a 650 attached to a Texas side car. You have some beautiful country up there to ride.

Take care,
Helix :lol:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Other than being quite cool, it looks like you've got sunny weather coming your way. :) Do you have electric hand grip warmers on your bike? Use an electric vest?

Although I was born and raised in Calgary, I did live for eight years in Edmonton when I was very young. I used to ride my bike all year round, even in the snow. But then when you're 18, the elevator doesn't seem to go all the way to the top. :) As proof...for a while I dated a girl in Edmonton. I would ride my Honda 350 from Calgary, spend a couple of hours warming up at my Uncle's place in Red Deer and then continue on to Edmonton. Did that more than once in a blizzard. Must have been love! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
vfdcaptain said:
Other than being quite cool, it looks like you've got sunny weather coming your way. :) Do you have electric hand grip warmers on your bike? Use an electric vest?

Although I was born and raised in Calgary, I did live for eight years in Edmonton when I was very young. I used to ride my bike all year round, even in the snow. But then when you're 18, the elevator doesn't seem to go all the way to the top. :) As proof...for a while I dated a girl in Edmonton. I would ride my Honda 350 from Calgary, spend a couple of hours warming up at my Uncle's place in Red Deer and then continue on to Edmonton. Did that more than once in a blizzard. Must have been love! :D
Hi - no I do not have the electric hand grip warmer or the vest. I'm sure it would be good to have. Today it was plus 10 degrees - probably warm enough to ride, but we have already put our bikes away for the winter. Wish our riding season was abit longer - I imagine in Victoria you ride longer than us in Edmonton.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Wish our riding season was abit longer
I think most Canadian bikers wish for the same thing every Fall. :)

I imagine in Victoria you ride longer than us in Edmonton.
Yes, here you can ride all year round, just buy a rain suit, electric vest & electric hand grips. :D If it does snow, it only stays for a few days.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi Mom,

Today the clouds departed after lunch and the sun dried off the streets. :sunny:

Took my wife Debra for her first ride on the Burgy. She loved it (as I knew she would :D ) but since she is 5'1", in the future she will need to wear boots with higher heels, as she was unable to plant her feet flat on the passenger foot rest. I think the wide seat takes away some of her leg length also.

Will also have to apply a clear plastic scuff pads on the sides of the bike where her shoes have already started to rub on my nice silver paint. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
vfdcaptain said:
Hi Mom,

Today the clouds departed after lunch and the sun dried off the streets. :sunny:

Took my wife Debra for her first ride on the Burgy. She loved it (as I knew she would :D ) but since she is 5'1", in the future she will need to wear boots with higher heels, as she was unable to plant her feet flat on the passenger foot rest. I think the wide seat takes away some of her leg length also.

Will also have to apply a clear plastic scuff pads on the sides of the bike where her shoes have already started to rub on my nice silver paint. :(
Maybe Debra would have even more fun riding the Burgy herself - I was a passenger on my hubby's Yamaha twice and decided I would like to try riding the bike myself. I loved it from then on - bought by Burgman in June 2004 and practiced for a month and took my road test to get my Motorcycle license. I love it. Sad thing to see is everytime I come home and open the garage - my bike is hiding under a blanket for the winter :(

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi Mom,

Maybe Debra would have even more fun riding the Burgy herself.
I would absolutely love it if my wife would learn to ride a motorcycle. :) Tried to teach her 25 years ago, but she ran over my foot :shock: and never tried again. I think the whole clutch thing was too intimidating for her back then.

She was always very content to sit on the back of the bike on all of our long trips (back before we had kids). Spent most of her time sleeping back there. :shock: After the kids grew up, she pressed me for several years to buy another bike. So after 22 years of not owning our own bike, we are the proud owners of a Burgy. Her only complaint with the Burgy, is that with the large seat, she sits too far away to be able lean on me for her nap. Now she has to stay wake and enjoy the scenery. :)

I am hoping that if I enroll her in a Motorcycle Safety Course, and she learns to ride for herself, she might let me buy her a Burgman 400. That would be cool! :D She certainly wouldn't have to worry about the clutch! 8)

·
Registered
182 Posts
vfdcaptain said:
Hi Mom,

I would absolutely love it if my wife would learn to ride a motorcycle. :) Tried to teach her 25 years ago, but she ran over my foot :shock: and never tried again. I think the whole clutch thing was too intimidating for her back then.

My wife road on the back of our goldwing and sidecar rig for years. Then one day said heh, I want to learn to do this. She took our local community college 4 day safety course that was held on Sat& Sun for two weekends and has been riding ever since. That was 10 years ago. We moved up the scooters 2 years ago after winging for years. I think the no shifting and step thru really helps!

Helix :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Start out small...

You can always tease her by going on a vacation somewhere where you can rent a couple of small scooters... have fun for a day

Then, shortly there after bring home a used Helix.
She can ride around the neighborhood for a while -- at that point she'll want to go take the weekend safety course... Then upgrade to the Burgy and sell the Helix!

In my case, I've already got the Helix, she's ridden around the neighborhood... and I'm working on the rest!

Just a thought -- Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
vfdcaptain said:
Hi Mom,

She was always very content to sit on the back of the bike on all of our long trips (back before we had kids). Spent most of her time sleeping back there. :shock: After the kids grew up, she pressed me for several years to buy another bike. So after 22 years of not owning our own bike, we are the proud owners of a Burgy. Her only complaint with the Burgy, is that with the large seat, she sits too far away to be able lean on me for her nap. Now she has to stay wake and enjoy the scenery. :)

I am hoping that if I enroll her in a Motorcycle Safety Course, and she learns to ride for herself, she might let me buy her a Burgman 400. That would be cool! :D She certainly wouldn't have to worry about the clutch! 8)
I did not take the motorcycle safety course. I was registered for it and in the mean time I bought by Burgy. When you take the course you use the bikes that Alberta Safety Council supplies. They of course are all normal bikes with the clutch. My husband had taken the course a month before, so he took the time and took me to a parking lot as often as weather permitted and patiently taught me the different skills needed inorder to pass the road test. I thought if I was going to ride an automatic bike, the stress of learning the shifting etc is not what I was looking forward to.

I am glad I did it that way - I took the road test with my own bike. Someday, I may learn to ride his Yamaha, but for now, riding a Burgy is just too much fun "twist and go" :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Motorcycle Safety Courses. When my son wanted his first motorcycle (a Honda CBR-600), I insisted that he take the course and buy all the proper safety equipment. After he finished the course, I rode along with him for a couple practice sessions before his MC exam. I was so surprised :shock: at how well he rode his new bike. Of course he had no trouble passing his exam. 8)

I just think it's the best money you can spend. Although I have been riding motorcycles since I was 16, I am planning to take the course in the Spring just to see if there are any gaps in my knowledge or skills (I put 100,000 accident-free miles on my last bike). :) Hopefully I will be able to get my wife to accompany me. :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts