Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the silverwing and burg650 to use as a commuter and light tourer but found they aren't that much more efficient than my sv1000n (naked). I see the B400 was capable of doing the light touring. I have not seen a Majesty yet and am wondering if anyone has any experience with this model. I wonder why there is so little talk of the majesty. It is between the B400 and M400. Pls. give pro & cons of each.

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum. The Majesty is new to the North American market for 2005. Therefore there are very few of them on the road as of yet.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I never owned a a scooter before so I may be completely wrong but I think comparing either a Majesty or a Helix to the Burgman is kind of like the old "Apples & Oranges"
I am sure they are good machines but aren't they really more in town type scooters?
I don't think I would want to get out there on an interstate or major highway with less then my 400, but like I said never owned one so I don't know.
I do know that the 400 just makes it as far as highway use and I don't think something smaller would do. :?

·
Registered
30,278 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Don
Welcome to the forum. :hello2:

The Majesty is a very similar machine to the 400 Burger.
It has an interesting (probably superior) chassis design. Some of the plastic is seen by some as inferior quality.

The Majesty may have the Burger on the run at highway speeds in terms of gearing and stability - some say that - I do not know. But the Burger will have it beat on urban work.

Like most things, it will come down to personal preference what is aesthetically pleasing to one - is a crock of s*** to another. You need to test ride both or at least sit on them in the showroom (to check that you fit).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Don, a god question.

The Majesty and AN400 are direct competitors in the shoot out that is the big-scooter market.

The Majesty is an all new 2004 model. The Burgman was introduced in 2002. This is the hottest sub=600cc segment of motorcycle development at the moment, and those two years seriously hurt the AN400 in head to head comparisons. Note the following:

1. Majesty has 60 litres of carrying space, shaped in a way that allows both the carriage of a full face helmet AND an A3 briefcase at the same time. The 53 litres of box-spaced under trunk of the AN400 cannot match this.
2. Majesty has a trunk that can carry golf clubs. The AN400 cannot.
3. Majesty has 14 inch wheels, and a massive 150 section rear tyre – the AN400 makes do with 13 inch wheels and a 130 section rear.
4. Majesty has an aluminum girder-like frame which should improve high speed handling. The AN400 makes do with a conventional tubular steel frame.
5. Majesty has 55/60W headlights. The AN400 makes do with 35W/55W headlights.
6. Majesty has some smart key technology.

Both are eclipsed by the Japan only model Forza 250 for gadgetary, incidentally.

Personally, I think the AN400 looks better than the slightly cheaply finished Majesty, but spec wise (especially lighting and trunk space) it ranks a distinct second in a head to head.

With that in mind, unless you can wait for the new AN400 due out within the next couple of years, I’d go for the Majesty 400. Remember that Suzuki manufactures the AN650, so have a dedicated product to service touring needs. Yamaha make the TMax 500 which is no tourer, so the Majesty 400 is their do everything – which is why they pushed the boat out with that frame, suspension and rear tyre.

Recommended.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hey Lycheed,

What about the durability of the Majesty's belt? From what I've read and heard the Burgman needs a belt replacement at 24,000 kms (manual recommendation) and the Yamaha sales person that I chatted with said the Majesty's can go 40,000 Kms. I would venture to guess this model is based upon their 250 and therefore probably has most of the bugs worked out with the drivetrain.

I have seen the Majesty up close and prefer the look of the Burgman. Nothing looks cheap to me from either model but I perfer the lines of the Burgman. However, the Majesty probably can handle the open road better because of the bigger tires and frame. If I had to choose??? I would have to ride each and then make up my mind. Right now I love my Burgman 400.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hey Tim,

I don`t know about the belt life but I beleive it should be comparable. THe Honda Reflex belt has a scheduled change interval of 20k km which is almost identical to the AN250/400. I imagine that the Majesty 250/400 is similar. Yamaha have rolled out the new Majesty 250 and 400 at the same time, so any bugs that are in the system will come to light this year.

I'd still recommend the Majesty 400 over the AN400 based on the storage capacity and lighting - this is what the biggest difference to the quality of riding in all conditions, and what you can do with the thing. I do think the AN400 looks better, however.

Good luck.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well Lycheed,

I ordered a 650 Burgman because after riding the my V11 Sport through the Pacific Northwest (Washington) on a 2 day trip it really got me thinking. I really don't need 1100 cc and wouldn't a 650 be a good compromise. The seating position is more comfortable and I can store lots of stuff under the seat. I'll get it sometime in March 2005.

·
Registered
793 Posts
In 45 minutes, you can install 55/60 PIAA headlamps into a Burgman, thus
one-upping the Majesty.

As for golf clubs, the bottom of the bag can rest on a running board
while the top is bungied to the grab rail of a Burgman.

Bigger tires and wheels for the Majesty are great but a Burgman tire can be had for under 50 dollars.
A Burgman CVT belt is just under a hundred dollars and a couple hours
of owner labor.

·
Registered
498 Posts
AJ,

Yes, you can modify the lighting on AN400 but not every owner wants to open the tool box on a scooter (it’s plug and play, right?) and it won’t give you separate side lights as opposed to lit indicators as “running lights” that the Majesty has. Similarly, carrying a golf bag using bungee straps is a very different feeling to putting a few clubs neatly and cleanly under the seat. Many big-scooter owners consider themselves far from “bikers” and consider their big-scooter more like an open top car than an automatic “bike” – hence the car-like smartly lit instrument panels, the “smart key” technology that allows keyless entry and remote trunk opening, and tiptronic gearboxes. Many owners don’t want to bungee anything to anywhere and where non-rider specific or clothing that is designed to look like non-rider specific clothing as opposed to leather jacket and jeans.

It is a good point that you make regarding tyre costs.

The fact is that the specification of the Majesty out of the crate is one level above the AN400. This is not to say something bad about the AN400, only to highlight that how much development there is in two years in this category.

If Suzuki synchronised their release dates with Honda and Yamaha then we would not be having this conversation as they have some very capable designers. As it is, they spend two years behind the competition, followed by one year in front, followed by another year of their very capable bike being overshadowed by the specs of the new machines debuted at the Tokyo Motor show. Japan still has the biggest big-scooter market in the world. It is odd that they don’t utilize the Tokyo Motor show as a platform to launch new scooters as Honda and Yamaha do.

Anyway, for those that don’t mind modifying their machine, perhaps it would be a good idea of you could post up somewhere the steps to carry out this lighting upgrade from 35/55W and 55/60W are really different in terms of being seen and seeing where you are going. 55W/60W really is the gold standard for motorcycle lighting if you intend to ride at night.

I still think the AN400 is the best looking single cylinder scooter of any capacity available today.

Lycheed

·
Registered
498 Posts
Tim,

A good choice – both the V11 and the 650! A friend of mine had a V11 and although it didn’t often go (largely due to a problem linked to the fitment of her aftermarket system), when it did boy did it sound good, and look good with it. The quintessential café racer. Not the most comfortable machine in the world, however…

The 650 is a good grand tourer – you may feel some overlap with the R series if you have ridden the R1150RT. The thing is, with half the capacity if performs similarly, is easier to ride (although Rs are famously easy to ride and turn) is comfortable, and has almost 60 litres of luggage space under the seat. Enjoy it when it arrives in March.

By the way, did you get the ABS model? I’d really stronyl recommend it as the lack of BAS on the standard model is the only way in which the R1140RT and Pan-European STX1300 out-perform the AN650.

Lycheed

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have checked (riding) both among other..

Before I bought the AN 400 I checked both and compared them also with the X9 (Piaggio)
The x9 is not reliable ! electronics problems
The Majesty is more smooth (motor wise)
Larger wheels
better design (new design)
BUT:
* No combined brakes !
* Not assembled in Japan (the model that is sold in Europe)
Expensive maintainance cost (may be because our local importer)

The first two points * made my decision easy

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well Lycheed,

The ABS model is not offered to us in Canada. I would consider it but I've been riding for about 25 years without it and uhm .....maybe the features are added that we really don't need. I have a friend who bought an Adventure BMW (big 1150 GS) and specifically wanted the model without ABS. He had to order it that way because every model that came into the country had ABS. He figured if survived this long without it then he'll survive the next 20 years. I am of the same thinking.

Yes, the V11 sport is a special kind of bike. Lots of torque and that engine is very unique. Not 1/2 as powerful as a R1 or GXSer but twice the sex appeal. The charm of a big twin can only be experienced. It shakes and rattles you and it has had its problems. Others who owned Motto Guzzis say stick it through and get the bugs worked out...you'll like it in the long run. There are lots of them available at rock bottom prices because they don't seem to hold their value.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Bendi,

Good point. I personally value combined brakes and ABS above luggage space or lighting on a machine that I will be riding largely alone, in all weathers, and in cities. It made me choose the 2002 Honda Reflex 250 ABS CBS over the (at that time) all-new 2002 AN250/400. When you ride in all weathers and all seasons in densely populated cities like Tokyo/London/Paris/Rome where you always seem to find manhole covers in the braking area before junctions, and where taxis will carry out the oddest maneuvers to win their next fare, ABS is essential. If you find that it is engaging when routine braking in the dry, you are doing something very wrong indeed.

On a leisure bike it is non-essential, but on a commuter it’s well worth it. I agree that combined brake systems are of similar value. Honda pioneered its CBS system on its RC30 race-bikes in World Superbike racing in the late eighties and early nineties.

I am personally disappointed that the manufacturers had withdrawn from offering ABS and CBS as standard on machines that are borne of the cities and all weather riding.

Good choice in the AN400 for you needs.

Lycheed

·
Registered
498 Posts
Tim,

Regarding the V11, Honda’s own expression of the café racer, and the GS Adventure, I’ve PM’d you.

Regarding ABS, I personally am a big fan of this as fitment to motorcycles. It’s not to assist riders with routine braking – it’s to reduce the terminal effects of front end lock-up in extreme panic braking situations. You may never use it, but the one time you do (probably at night, in the rain, with a car pulling out in front of you with wet leaves / gravel / ice / a manhole cover under the front tyre) it’s “nice to have”. Being out in B.C. you won’t often see another vehicle so it’s not really an issue for you. :wink:

When ABS engages on dirt it can sometimes be unnerving, so I thought that the GS Adventure had an instrument panel mounted “on/off” switch for the ABS as standard..? Perhaps that switch is absent on the Canadian version.

Take care in the cold out there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Another point and some history

Another point for the burgman (400) is the single rear shock absorber.
And some history: The first MC with combined braking system I saw was a Motoguzzi 500 of the 70's. Now even VFR 800 has it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Daytona test rides

This past Spring, the wife and I test road the Aprilia Atlantic (2 up) and the Burgman 650 ( 1 each). Yesterday we test road the Magesty and Burgman 400 (both 2 up). I wanted to ride the Silverwing; however, Honda had a rule about having high boots on and I wans't going to buy a pair of boots just for a test ride.

LAST SPRING:

The Atlantic was the first Super Scooter I had ever riden. We were two up, in the rain, and at then end of a line of Aprilia 1000cc sport bikes. The Atlantic was fast and I was pushing the sport bike rider ahead of me when we came to the curves. We pegged the speedometer at almost 90 in the wet. The scooter was fast and smooth. The brakes almost too good until I got used to how touchy they were. The reveiw from the back seat was only so so. It was comfortable; but, the foot position was odd.

At Suzuki, the wife and I each tried out the Burgman 650. Heavier than the Atlantic, but more powerful. It felt more planted at speed. Better wind protection I thought. The push button shifting was jerky. I left it on auto and in the power mode. Perfection. I had a blast. The wife had trouble with the seat height & width, and bikes weight. She never felt comfortable with it. Mind you, at the time she had a 750 Monster.

Yesterday:

Started of with the Magesty, two up. Smooth, quiet, nimble are words that come to mind. Not as fast or quick as the Burman 650. More of a city bike. Poor wind protection too. Back seat review was bad. Very bad. Hard and the angle for the feet must have been designed by some bow legged tortured bugger. Stay away from this bike if you are going to carry a passenger. It was great at passing the big cruisers in the corners though.

The Burgman 400 felt better than the Magesty as far as grunt goes. Cornering also seemed more planted. We were glued to the ride leader's V-Strom on the run. The V-Strom behind us was left behind at every turn as he tried to move through the gears. Twist-n-go is so nice. You just brake late, throw the bike over, then twist like hell and pull yourself through the curve. The rear seat gets the best review. Back rest and running board mean passenger comfort. It's a little hard, but maybe that's because it's brand new.

Honda.......no ride without high top boots. Man that sucked. Then I saw quite a few Honda rides go out w/o someone taking the Sivlerwing. That really sucked.

For an only bike, it would have to be the Burgman 650. The Honda might be in the same class, but I couldn't recommend it. The 650 has power, protection, and running board for the passenger. It does need a back rest.

For a second bike, or city commuter I would have to pick the Burgman 400. Light, nimble, and quick the bike still has creature comforts and the protection for weekend touring. I just think it might be over taxed two up, loaded with gear, traveling western North Carolina. If you stayed in Florida, it might be a good only bike choice.

Oh yeah, if you were on a Harley on I-4 yesterday morning and were passed by a silver K1200LTC doing a 100+, that was us. We like to listen to music while we ride, not someones exhaust . 8)

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums valmet62. Glad to have you join us. Very informative first post. Glad to see a head to head comparison of the Majesty and the Burgman 400 and hear you'd prefer the Burgman.

One note : one of our forum members and a couple of friends ride Burgman 400's (and allow a Silverwing to tag along :lol: ) around west NC and do quite well with them. Maybe he'll chime in with some more details. <hint hint Ted> :wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Welcome to BurgmanUSA! It is always interesting to read someones opinions of riding the various scooters. I've only ridden the Burgman 650, and I'm quite happy with it, but I do get curious when I see some of the other big scooters. Unfortunately, many of them aren't available yet in my neck of the woods (err... cornfields).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts