Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any concerns when washing the Burg at home? I know that I should avoid jetting water into the brake area because of the seals, but any other areas to worry about? I'm using a regular garden house, nothing high pressure.

How about the dash area? My locale gets tons of pine pollen in the air this time of year and the bike needs to be rinsed before every ride. The yellow pollen looks lousy on the silver paint and the black seat! Maybe I should just have the bike painted yellow???? :?: :lol:

Also, given the fine particulate ( Wow! ) nature of the pollen, should I be looking closely at the air filter? I haven't yet hit the 600 mile mark, so the filter is still the original.

Bill

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I squirt mine down with HondaBrite (which is really S100 if you've ever used that). Then I rinse it good with a garden hose. Between washes I touch it up with Honda Cleaner/Polish (spray on, rub off, Buff). I probably only wash it thoroughly 3 or 4 times a year. The Honda products are excellent.

My air filter was replaced for the first time at the 14,500 mile service, and it didn't look too bad. I'd say check it at each service interval - it isn't hard to do. I am of course talking about a 650 which uses a paper element filter. The 400 has a foam filter element that requires periodic cleaning and re-oiling. You don't state which model you have.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I'd recommend getting a motorcycle cover if you are leaving the bike outside. I picked one up from walmart a week or so ago for about $40. Just don't put it over the bike until the muffler has cooled down. I lived in North Carolina for a year and was shocked by how much pollen fell from the pines. In Kansas the pines (and all the other trees except cottonwood) ) rarely get big enough to notice the reproduction process.

Dave B.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I avoid direct water spray at the wheel bearing seals and I also avoid spraying up under the rear fender to the front of the swing arm. There is an area there for water to get into the CVT. Thats why you never want to drive through any deep puddles or cross and streams. Ask one of our South American members how fun it is to replace the CVT sensor!

·
Registered
126 Posts
4DThinker said:
I'd recommend getting a motorcycle cover if you are leaving the bike outside. I picked one up from walmart a week or so ago for about $40. Just don't put it over the bike until the muffler has cooled down. Dave B.
There is also a cover by Dowco that you can put on even when the pipes are hot. It is aluminized at the bottom. More pricey but worth it if you have to cover while hot.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Second the recommendation for the DOWCO cover - One I had from my Kawaski Nomad fits very well and no worry about hot pipe.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I thought I read somewhere (this forum?) about being very careful about spraying the dash area - especially with any real pressure of water. I am always very gentle with that area, and it is the first area to dry off.

I also learned the hard way about the lemon pledge use (do search in this forum for lots of discussion about this). I don't use any on the seat or floorboards! Tends to make them too slippery for feet/butt!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
To the above I would add not to spray with any significant pressure against the radiator; the thin fins can be damaged.

Even the amount of pressure from a garden hose could be too much if you're using a nozzle. I'd just use a non-nozzled hose or a "mister" for that area.

I also rinse from high and to the front, directing the spray in the same direction rain would be coming from if riding on the freeway during a storm. I've never had any leaks under the seat or electrical problems, etc. by doing it that way, and I wash my bike at a coin-op car wash a lot.

HTH.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I agree with the others that it's best to use a gentle spray on the bike. As for the dash area, I wouldn't be overly concerned as long as you just use a gentle spray and dry it first.
My 650 sat out in a real bad storm in Lake Placid, NY last week (we stopped for lunch and ended up sitting in the restaurant for 2 hours until it eased up enough to ride) and had no problems. The good thing was that it washed most of the heavy yellow pollen from Lake George off the bike.

Don

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Just a counterpoint for what it is worth. My 650 got drenched last night by heavy thunderstorms outside of my motel room. I had not packed my half cover for the trip. This morning it took me maybe 3 or 4 minutes to dry it off with a towel. Much easier than dealing with a soaked cover imho - I've had to do that before. The only issue I had was minor seepage of water into the right upper dash compartment. If I had to keep the scoot outside at home, I'd cover it. But for road trips, I'm not sure that I'll bother to pack the cover in the future. I reserve the option to change my mind on that, but right now that is what I am thinking.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I agree with Paul on this one.
I have a Dowco light cover.

I only use it at work when I ride in, to keep the sun and dust off the bike.
I will probably use it during the winter for storage too.

I keep a small terrycloth towel under the seat for drying the seat after a rain.
Takes up a lot less room than the cover does. 8)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you guys cover when trailering. I saw where someone wrote that it was too much trouble, I worry about heavy rain storms and the increased wind/rain speed when trailering. My usual trailer time puts the bike on the trailer 12 to 13 hours at Interstate speed. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
572 Posts
I haven't done any extended trips and have only ridden in the rain a few times so my burg has never gotten that dirty.

What I use are "Glosser" cleaning wipes. I supposed to leave a wax coating as you wipe off the dirt. I find that it works really well for all the painted parts. Once I'm done wiping that area down, I use the same cloth (each sheet is pretty large) to detail around the handle bars and go over the bla As the last step I'll wipe down the forks, wheels, and underside. It's quick and easy. I also think that a detailing spray (like Meguiars Quick Wax) and a microfibre cloth would work as well. That way, I don't have to deal with spraying anything with water.

I've also waxed the painted parts with Eagle One Nanowax and that makes cleaning really easy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks, I use Turtle Color Match and a damp cloth seems to inhance the color as well as good waterproofing. Thanks for your answer.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nabob said:
Do you guys cover when trailering.
I've heard that it's a bad idea to use a cover if the bike is on a trailer, or in the back of a truck. The cover flapping in the breeze at highway speeds wreaks havok on the paint job on the bike...

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Nabob said:
...I worry about heavy rain storms and the increased wind/rain speed when trailering. ...
I don't have a trailer, but if I did I wouldn't worry about this. I wouldn't drive my truck any faster than I ride (propably slower, actually).

Having ridden for 12 hours (six each way) in a driving rainstorm I know that the Burgman can handle it.

I, on the other hand, was a mess. I remembered to wear my trusty Nelson-Rigg rainsuit. I remembered to put on waterproof overboots. But I forgot about waterproof gloves. My leather gloves soaked right through, and my hands were cold, wet, and stained black (cheap gloves).

In slightly over a year of ownership that's the only time I've ridden in the rain, and I planned it in advance just for the experience. The Weather Channel has kept me from riding a few times when they said it would rain and it didn't, but it's never got me wet by saying "no rain" when there was.

I may get a little damp on Sunday, but it shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the info. Here in east central Florida it always rains when they say it will not. I get wet occassionally but for short periods. Usually two blocks from home. Thanks again for all of the information.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
East central?

Where in East central Florida? I'm in Longwood. Hondaman is as well and there is a Silver 650 in Altamonte Springs but I've yet to "meet" him. He has friends on this forum.

Welcome by the way!

Dee

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Nabob said:
Here in east central Florida it always rains when they say it will not. I get wet occassionally but for short periods.
Yeah, I remember from when I lived in Tampa that we could pretty much count on it raining every day at about 4:00PM, and that it would really pour. But only for an hour or so.

Up here it rains lightly most of the time, but it will go on for days and days without stopping. Our "good riding weather" season is pretty short. I got my Burgman last June and put 6800 miles on it in the first three months. In the following nine months I've only added another 3800.

Oh well; we're getting close to summer again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts