Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 model with 11K, needs rear tire and has a few dings and scrapes...
seller asking 3700.00 open to offers...what should I pay?

I rode it today and rides well, everything works as far as lights/horn/dash etc...

engine sounds good,pulled well out of the parking lot, felt good....

what else should I look for?

tks

couple of pics from the seller

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchased a spotless '07 650 8,000 miles for $3,800 about 2 months ago. Check with Suzuki service manual. Quite happy with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i got a 06 with 17k miles, in (never dropped, recent tune up records, and new tires) mint condition burg 650 for $3200. very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I got a '05 silver with 19,000 miles on it. Came with givi top box, saddle bags, throttlemeister, and extended windshield. Paid 2,300. Nothing mechanicly wrong with it at all. Just needed new tires. Back one was really bad and got replaced with a federal formoza. Front was ok but it wasn't a radial and changed that out to a metzler feel free.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Looks like that one is a Gold-Burg...
not many of those around.
Take it home, & enjoy the
Burgman Grin...:D

·
Registered
753 Posts
May be a tad bit high. Two years ago I paid $3500 for a 2007 650 Executive that had but 3500 miles on it. Needed nothing but to be ridden which I have certainly done.

Try to haggle a bit but if he will not budge then I think I would still get it. The extras are worth a bit more than an standard bike after all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got him down to 3250.00

also there is a 03 model with 39K miles for 2.5K OBO ???

should I even look at the 03 model with 39K miles???

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
STAY AWAY from the 03 as in ,,,,,,,,,FAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR away .

As far as the 08 you are looking at goes , I cannot see enough of the bike to give you any advise . That said on average that price is probably average , not average on asking prices but average on actual selling prices . I would be looking for a standard model 2005 to 2008 with under 10K on the clock , then in PERFECT cosmetic condition with new OEM tires . Then any thing $4,000 or less would be a GREAT price .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so no 2003

if I do get the 08 that needs rear tire, I found shinkos front and rear for 99.98 , is that a good tire?? or should I go darkside?? I have 28 years riding motorcycles (sport and cruisers) but never had a scooter, and at a young age of 44 I'm done doing 160MPH on a Hayabusa or waking up my neighbors at 3am going to work with my Honda Sabre and cobra pipes...I want quiet and relax...I rode a Piaggio MP3 500 and hated it...too small for me I'm 6'1" 220lbs....the Burg 650 fitted like a glove :)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
ok so no 2003

if I do get the 08 that needs rear tire, I found shinkos front and rear for 99.98 , is that a good tire?? or should I go darkside?? I have 28 years riding motorcycles (sport and cruisers) but never had a scooter, and at a young age of 44 I'm done doing 160MPH on a Hayabusa or waking up my neighbors at 3am going to work with my Honda Sabre and cobra pipes...I want quiet and relax...I rode a Piaggio MP3 500 and hated it...too small for me I'm 6'1" 220lbs....the Burg 650 fitted like a glove :)
Some people have had good luck with the Shinko , I am NOT one of them . For the difference in price I would go with the OEM from
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/default.aspx?SITEID=Google+SEARCH+BRAND+Motorcycle+Superstore+-+Official+Brand&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=10001&P_ID=1105226530&adpos=1t1&creative=68725078733&device=c&matchtype=e&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjwluetBRD98L639p35p0QSJACC8BlKh_EOa1Uy2AvhuM6pPVc_yKbFP5QNCV09Y8yx7gi-XBoClqrw_wcB

I'm sure many will disagree , because like I said above some have had good luck with them . If some one were to offer me a free set I would decline the offer and gladly pay for the OEM .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like the Shinko's, they ride and handle just fine. They look good. They are bias and not radial. Everyone says they do not have a long lifespan so take that into account in the price if you have to have them mounted. You wont find a tire at a better price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
STAY AWAY from the 03 as in ,,,,,,,,,FAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR away .

As far as the 08 you are looking at goes , I cannot see enough of the bike to give you any advise . That said on average that price is probably average , not average on asking prices but average on actual selling prices . I would be looking for a standard model 2005 to 2008 with under 10K on the clock , then in PERFECT cosmetic condition with new OEM tires . Then any thing $4,000 or less would be a GREAT price .

TheReaper!
Reaper...what are the issues with a 2003 650? Was looking at one here in SoCal for $2k obo.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Reaper...what are the issues with a 2003 650? Was looking at one here in SoCal for $2k obo.
They are more prone to have an early CVT failure , that said some later models have also had very early CVT failures . Supposedly the early models I think the 03 and 04 had defective bearings in the housing where the primary pulley sits in the CVT case . When the bearing goes and begins breaking up it destroys the primary pulley , the belt and the plastic gears . Those parts by themselves are well over $1,000 , then you have lots of labor to replace them . Now if I were to find an 03 with like 1000 miles on it with pristine plastics for $3,000 or less , I would buy it in a heart beat .

Now when you are looking at one for $2,000 it would depend on two things for me , first how many miles and the condition of the plastics , the wheels etc etc . I actually look at these like a future parts bike , in other words if the CVT were to blow , what's the rest of it worth ? I'm pretty good at simple math :D , and this is really just simple math . When I buy one it has to have low miles and pristine condition for $3,500 or less . That way I know I can get at least $1,500 out of it if the CVT has an early demise . I also carry $100.00 deductible insurance just in case . With a purchase price of $3,500 , the way I do it the absolute worst outcome would be a $2,000 loss . Pretty good deal in my book .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so I had the Burg for a few days and I need a few things...not sure what to do first!!!!????

Rear tire will need replacing,its showing a flat spot right down the middle,and I may as well replace the front, I think they are both originals from 08

I'm 6'1" and the windshield its knocking my head around pretty good, I need either a taller screen or add a 4" to 6" deflector using some Lexan

Oil and filter change because I dont know when previous owner done it last time??

I want to add a stereo of sorts...not sure if I want a dual speakers up front or two front and two rear mounted to the top box

HID lights

LED waterproof strips

and PAINT... thinking about plastidiping the whole scoot white and blue, I done a whole bike before and Im very aware on how much work and cost plastidiping is....(here's pic of my Vulcan 900 dipped)

tks

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
so I had the Burg for a few days and I need a few things...not sure what to do first!!!!????

tks
I got the exact same bike about 2 weeks ago. '08 650 in Gold (2600 miles).

The two things I did (after doing all the fluids), was adding a Givi windshield and upgrading the backrest. For me, those two things took it from good to great.

I went with the "Isuzu headrest" backrest upgrade on my 400, but went with a different backrest on the 650. I'd highly recommend this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Burgman-650-Drivers-Backrest-AN650-/251293458056?hash=item3a8241de88
I'm sure that if you tried to, you could bend it - but it seems more than sturdy enough for normal use.

I just got a Bestem top case, but I'm going to try to paint it to match the burg before I install it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congrats on your recent purchase! Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
Just my 2 cents on Shinkos - I've replaced the OEM rear with one. I've got almost 2K mi. on it - so far, the difference is close to nil. Rode it hard last weekend 2-up (well over speed limit :^0 ) in 100+ degree heat. Felt & handled fine. Like any tire, I think - keep it inflated properly & it should do its duty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts