Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've looked and looked at the photo of these bungee cord deals and just can not figure out how they would work? Is it a waste of money to get them?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ones that Suzuki offers on their accessory page.

I just can't figure out if I need them or not. A regular bungee can just be attached to the grab rail right? Or would that scratch it up and that's what those dealie boppers from Suzuki are for.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Nancy,

Are you talking about the 'Bungee Hooks' that Suzuki sells? One rider bought bolts from a hardware store and used them instead of buying the Suzuki parts.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah those. I just couldn't figure out for the life of me how they work. Does the cord hook around them instead of the grab rail?

Reason I'm asking is next month I will need to carry a duffle bag on the passenger seat and trying to figure out how to strap it down without scratching anything up.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
They are an anchor point that you can use and avoid scratching the hand rails. As Bill noted, someone just bought the right size screws at a hardware store instead. Wouldn't look quite as nice, but a lot cheaper to buy.

I don't have those for my 650. I have bungee corded tires to my back seat when going to the dealer for a tire change. I just looped the bungee cord around the handrail and hooked it to itself. That worked OK for a short ride. On a long ride, I guess it is possible that the cords could rub on the hand rail some, and perhaps wear down the paint. I avoid using bungee cords as much as possible. It is really not the best way to carry stuff. But once in awhile, with a very large item, it is the only solution.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Nancy

Slightly different to your question.

I use this for strapping stuff to the seat!

Net

Really useful!! :)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I have one of those in the garage. Billy use to use it on the old bike. Just need to get the bag on there without scratching.
I'm thinking now -- strap the bag to the Volusia's back seat and get what I can in my storage area. Or one of those vacuum bags.

I've got a month to figure something out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nancy;

The very first thing I bought for my 400 was the bungee hooks with a net similar to the one Norman has. It was a bit frustrating installing them - even with a manual - as one of the main bolts in the backrest was installed backwards, but a good introduction to pulling panels off and getting them reinstalled properly!! The hooks do look nicer than a plain set of bolts and they avoid the chance of scratches to the handles. Since they install "upwards" there seems to be very little chance of the bungee hooks accidently coming off.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I don't like the bungie cables since like Paul said the hooks may rub the paint. One inexpensive solution is to use the bolts from a hardware store and buy some bulk bungie cord without hooks. Cut the bungie to length required and knot it leaving a loop at the ends to loop over your bolt anchor points. If you use 4 pieces of bungie cord (2 straight across and 2 crisscrossing) it should be very secure and shouldn't scratch up the bike.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Nancy

If you get a bungee cord a little longer you can slip it around the hand rail on both sides, hook it to it's self over the bag.
That way you don't take a chance on scratching the rail or body with the hooks.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I wasn't sure about buying the ones from Suzuki, so I just stuck 4 allen head bolts into the holes. I like having something there, because I was able to remove the hooks from my bungee net and I have nothing to scratch the paint or snag the seat. You just loop the bunge around the handle and catch it on the bolt. The bolts have exposed threads though, and they are chewing on my bungee net - so I'm going to buy the ones from Suzuki the next time I'm near the shop... :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Norman,

Those nets are quite useful, I agree. The thing with a bungee cord is that if one end lets go while riding - you've got a problem. With the net, if one hook lets go, it is usually no big deal, because you still have plenty of hooks holding the cargo down. They can also secure objects of varying sizes and shapes much easier. I think I'll pick one of those up and just throw it in the trunk. Used to have one, might still, don't know where. All that means is that I'll find it as soon as I buy I new one!

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
I broght home my GIVI windshield on the back of my 650, using a Bungee Net. They work great and don't take much room.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Something else you might want to think about doing:

Get a roll of black 1" self adhesive velcro. Use the soft fuzzy side and run 2 strips (one up high and one down low) from the front to the back inside your underseat storage area. Follow the contours to make them look nice, the spacing between the strips doesn't need to be even.

Get 4 plastic swivel snaps (50 cents each) made to connect to 1" lashing straps and use a 4"+ piece of the rough side of the self adhesive velcro to go through the slot and fold over on itself to make a 2" velcro fastener (trim the end with scissors after you fold it rather than trying too hard to get the ends perfectly even). I also broke the little metal snap locks out of mine so I could more easily attach/detach the same hookless bungee net.

When I have a few things I can secure them with the bungee net under the seat, and I can easily move the net along the velcro strips to where it needs to be to accomodate a larger load. When I fill the underseat storage and need more then I use the net to hold stuff on the back seat by hooking it onto the bolts under the handrails.

Every solution has it's drawbacks:

What I need now is a way to store my spare helmet shield (I swap between tinted and clear rather than stuffing sunglasses into my full face helmet). I've been putting it into the net at one end of the trunk - but that becomes a problem once I use the net for something else. A second net is okay until I want to fill the trunk. I'd like to do something nice to hold the shield up against the roof of the trunk under the tail (keep the floorspace open). Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Robert,

I'm having a hard time visualizing the setup. Could you post pics of the rig?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Robert said:
I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.
Thanks Robert. :)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Robert,
Just a thought , if you put the shield in a cloth "pouch" it should fit between the dash & windshield (with out getting scratched) .
Mite be a good place to store it but no real security

·
Registered
496 Posts
O.K. Jeff I installed the "official Suzuki bungee hooks" (which cost 14.00+) not including installation. What a bunch of crap. 1st I don't know how you can call a screw, hooks;2nd what kind of bungee's are you going to attach to something that goes straight down without a so called hook? There are only 2 hooks on either side of the handle so you cannot use a cargo net (3 hooks). Since I have not explored other Bungee cords are there some that just have a circle or ring attached to them to hook over the so called "bungie hooks"?

Otherwise I think the whole thing is a bunch of hooey :evil:

Evelyn

1 - 20 of 28 Posts