Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any pics or instructions on removing the bum stop. I would like to try the seat without it on.

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Steve,

There are 2 small recessed screws that are only visable when the buttstop is all they way back. Remove the 2 small screws and then move the buttstop forward and it'll come completely out the front of the seat.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

billmeek said:
Steve,

There are 2 small recessed screws that are only visable when the buttstop is all they way back. Remove the 2 small screws and then move the buttstop forward and it'll come completely out the front of the seat.
Thanks Bill, I was trying the exposed screw but with no success

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Steve,

You might run into an issue removing one of the screws. Several forum members reported where the screws were overtightened from the factory. On my 400, the right side screw was torqued to the point it stripped the screw threads. The screw would spin freely either direction. In order to remove it, the head had to be ground off using a dremmel tool.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
If you don't have a Dremel, use a small drill bit and drill it out. Then throw both screws away. The bars for the back rest have notches that hold it in place. The screws are not needed.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Before resorting to drilling it out, try giving it a couple of good sharp raps with a hammer. My right screw was also impossible for me to remove. Mechanic at the dealership said he tapped it with a hammer and then could remove it.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
ted clement said:
The bars for the back rest have notches that hold it in place. The screws are not needed.
Yeah. I've been riding around with a couple screws missing for months. :roll: (Thus an open invitation to humorous comments)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Back Rest

Teh tool that they use at the factory to install those screws must be quite a screw driver or else they use the good loctite. I had to beat on both sets of screws on both bikes to get them out also don't bother putting them back in the only thing they do is stop the back rest from sliding out when you release the lock with the seat all the way up from falling out.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
loose screws

billmeek said:
Yeah. I've been riding around with a couple screws missing for months. :roll: (Thus an open invitation to humorous comments)
I think we all have a few screws at least loose if not missing. I got the screws out ok. There is a lot of difference with the butt stop out, at least sitting on the bike. Now if we can get some good weather (I ain't riding in this freezing rain) to actually try it out. Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
What's the big difference in the feel with the butt stop off the seat. More comfortable or what? I'm sure you'd get more knee room but if I lean back too far and get too comfortable I have to stretch way out there for the handlebars. Just wondering.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The difference is the amount of leg room you have available. I took the buttstop off and road around for a day. It's a lot more comfortable to my legs but didn't like it as a long term solution. I like the feeling of sitting in the seat rather than just on it. If I did remove the backrest, I'd like to have the padding reformed simular to the Corbin 400 seat.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
It entirely depends on how long your legs and arms are. For long lanky critters like me, the extra 2 inches or so in legroom makes a world of difference. If you are comfortable with the butt stop in place, there is no reason to remove it.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
jkrerol15 said:
What's the big difference in the feel with the butt stop off the seat. More comfortable or what? I'm sure you'd get more knee room but if I lean back too far and get too comfortable I have to stretch way out there for the handlebars. Just wondering.
You can gain some legroom with out removing it completly. Sometimes you only need an inch or so, and many of us have removed it to modify it, as well as the seat itself. Tilting the butt stop foward and reshaping it, not only gains that inch, but puts the support higher up your back, and gives you more of a "Pocket" feel.

I would agree with billmeek on this one "I like the feeling of sitting in the seat rather than just on it."

·
Registered
5 Posts
billmeek said:
Steve,

You might run into an issue removing one of the screws. Several forum members reported where screwed were overtightened from the factory. On my 400, the right side screw was torqued to the point it stripped the screw threads. The screw would spin freely either direction. In order to remove it, the head had to be ground off using a dremmel tool.
I had the same issue with the right side screw. It just turned and turned. I used a small screw driver under the head and unscrewed it without a problem. Took only a minute. Maybe I was lucky, but I would try it before resorting to the dremmel as a first option.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I tried several times, took it to a few service stations, a couple of machine shops, and finally one of the local bike shops used the dremmel tool. How in the heck did you get the small screwdriver under the head of the recessed screw? The plastic and the amount it was recessed didn't give a lot of room to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bill,
There wasn't a whole lot of room, but a little pressure on the screw was all it needed to rethread itself. That was a whole lot easier than trying to grind out a spinning screw in that little of a space. Now that the screws are out, I can add and remove the butt rest anytime I want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts