Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone broke in my garage last night and stole a few things. Mostly stuff kids would have taken. They also went through the scooter's storage boxes. But it seems as if they tried to turn on the ignition with a screwdriver. Nothing appears broken, and I don't see anything in the ignition. But now I can't insert my key. I spoke with a locksmith, and he said the barrel may be out of alignment. I tried putting a screwdriver in the opening and moving it, but no success. I guess I have to order a new ignition switch, or have the scooter towed to a dealer and have them replace it. I'm sure it won't be cheap either way!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Sorry to hear that. You could try a little lube in the switch such as WD40. As long as you don't use oil. There is no oil in WD40. The reason you probably cannot get the key in the barrel is the leading disc in the switch is probably distorted a little (or maybe a lot) and it won't retract into it's slot allowing the key to slide in. Some lube may help it to work if the distortion is only slight. I have stripped and rebuilt many lock barrels over the years and yours may be salvageable by a locksmith. I always close my ignition switch shield when I park my bike, even in my own garage. It stops just this sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I wonder if the lock cylinder is available after-market? The one in my Saturn wore out after about 12 years, I put in a new one from a parts store and it worked, of course now I have a new and different ignition key. I haven't had your misfortune, to have to tear down the Burgman cylinder though.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried WD40. No luck. I'll have to take a look at it on my days off. Bummer I have to drive my wife's car with such beautiful weather!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Check ebay for a used one, cheaper than OEM. One good thing they were not able to get it started! You still own your Burgman!

·
Administrator
18,695 Posts
Eugene, if you change just the lock, then you have to carry two keys. One for the lock and the 2nd for the gas cap and glove box. The complete set comes with a new ignition lock, gas cap and glove box lock. I may have a complete set from my 1st 08 but would need to look but it only has 1 key.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A complete set from the dealer runs $385.00! I don't mind two keys, but if you have a complete set I might be interested. EBay had a used complete set for $170.00 when I checked last night.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have insurance, $500.00 deductible. So, mostly it's out of my pocket!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have insurance, $500.00 deductible. So, mostly it's out of my pocket!
I'll wager you're looking at more than that to get the ignition mechanism replaced. Last I looked, it was around $350 and there is lots of tupperware to remove, as well as special tools to get it apart.

I would consider filing a claim, having a shop do the work with OEM parts (including gas cap), and tack on the other stolen items things you can replace. It's what I would do.

Good luck.
Scott Fraser

·
Administrator
18,695 Posts
Pop the handle bar covers off, remove the 6 screws holding the top cover on, snap it free, use a T20 security bit to undo the screws on the ignition switch, pop the electrical plug off and turn it to get the trunk release cable free and its done.

I am still looking for the box I had my set in. Give me some time to look tomorrow. Hard to get around yet.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Pop the handle bar covers off, remove the 6 screws holding the top cover on, snap it free, use a T20 security bit to undo the screws on the ignition switch, pop the electrical plug off and turn it to get the trunk release cable free and its done.
I've done this too. It's not very difficult. As Dave says there are (2) Torx security screws plus one 6?mm bolt to remove on the ignition column itself.The only thing I would add is that there are 8 screws in the top-cover (the big cover with the ignition-switch hole in it and I suggest you make 8 holes (4 each side) in a piece of cardboard in order and pop each screw into its relevent hole - saves a lot of trouble finding the correct screw when you reassemble.The removed ignition column has a small cover secured by 4 flat-headed security screws which can easily be removed (and used again) by hacksawing a slot in them then using a normal screwdriver to access all the column innards. The key bit you want can then be easily removed and the damage assessed. I think that you will only have to remove or reposition the little shutter that the key moves across when it is inserted. If there is damage to the key tumblers the damaged ones can easily be removed and the ignition will still work okay. PS: pour some oil down the handlebar-locking cable while it is accessible. Please let us know how you go on.

·
Administrator
18,695 Posts
Eugene, please don't be mad at me but I can not find the box that I had the ignition set in. It is here somewhere but between the wife and my son, they cleaned out my "MAN CAVE" to put my recliner, medical gear and stuff in before I was released from hospital.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problem Dave. I think for peace of mind I will just have the dealer replace it with new. I don't want to have any worries on my Alaska trip this summer. You just keep getting better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts