Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the only scooter I've ridden with such pronounced engine braking. I LIKE it when decelerating to exit the highway or braking from speed to 0 at a stop light. But just puttering around the neighborhood at 10-30 mph the throttle is so sensitive and engine braking so pronounced that I feel like I'm riding a bull.

Anyone else have this experience? I've only got a few rides on the 650 so far, and am hoping I'll gain more refined control with experience. I just get the feeling that this scooter would really suck on parade duty. As long as I'm accelerating I'm OK, but if I back off the throttle a little too much to try and hold a speed, the thing bucks to slow down. More gas is my reaction, then the speed goes up so I back off again. More bucking.

Help?

·
Registered
969 Posts
4DThinker said:
I've only got a few rides on the 650 so far, and am hoping I'll gain more refined control with experience.
You will, and soon. It's just the right fist finesse thing. You'll be loving all that engine braking before you know it. 8)

Steve

·
Registered
127 Posts
I haven't had the bucking. In fact I really like the engine braking. My biggest challenge with it so far has been judging how much to roll off when coming to a stop. I tend to underestimate how quickly I will slow down when coming off the throttle. Don't seem to have the same problem though when I am just slowing to make a turn. It is obvious that it is just a matter of practice.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
4DThinker said:
...I just get the feeling that this scooter would really suck on parade duty.
If you're like most members, you'll get used to it pretty quickly. Once you do it'll all feel very natural and easy.

If you have long fingers like I do you may want to invest in bigger grips or a Throttle Rocker (I have the latter).

At first the Throttle Rocker made the problem worse for me, but now that I'm used to it I love it. I now have very fine control of speed in fast and slow traffic. I can't go much below 6MPH for very long, with or without the TR, but at any normal speed the 650 is great.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I found that using manual mode at slow speed made life easier for me at first.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
4D,

Try rolling off the throttle slower on decelleration, or "carry a little power". It takes some practice, but really helps.
Closing the throttle abruptly, usually is the problem.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Jim said:
Try rolling off the throttle slower on decelleration, or "carry a little power". It takes some practice, but really helps.
Closing the throttle abruptly, usually the problem.
Yep.

Also, you'll soon develop an intuitive feel for how much throttle a given speed requires in any terrain, and so you won't "overshoot" it as often and have to back off.

Let the CVT do its job by giving it just a little gas for low speeds, holding it, and letting the CVT bring you up to speed.

Chasing the speedometer early on is similar to the problem new pilots have of chasing the altimeter and such. The "bucking" there is called a PIO (Pilot Induced Oscillation), and can be "a really bad thing." Fortunately most new pilots get over it quickly. Most new Burgermiesters do too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The above advice all good. Regular motorcycles have engine braking too. To avoid the on/off bucking, one "feathers" the clutch, which takes practice. With the Burgie, one "feathers" the throttle, which also just takes practice. I must truthfully say that when switching from a VStrom, I hardly noticed the engine braking on the Burgie. By gently feathering the throttle in and out of the "freewheeling" zone, I can keep my bike going at a very smooth slow "parade" pace. Once you get the hang of it, you won't even think about it. Beleive me, the engine braking is a good feature.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
65 Posts
I started using a little braking to slow my Burg down in some situations where rolloing off the throttle gave me the same problems. I also found that after installing an"O" ring cruise control mod, the throttle sensitivity is greatly reduced. With the added friction from the ring you must roll the grip with some force. This reduces the overcontrolling you are experiencing. As with everything it takes some practice, but I wouldn't go back now that I'm used to it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If this condition continues and you are sure that you are not opening and closing the throttle I would have your dealer check the throtle position sensor (TPS) We have one bike that is set right and runs great the second one if set acording to the manual bucks at a just off idle opening so I gave up and set it where it runs good and have had no problems.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
No sweat 4D....you'll get the hang of it. I am just starting to get the hang of manual gear changing and I - AM - DIGGIN - IT! 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts