Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently repaired an ignition switch from a 2003 650 Burgman. The fault was not in the ignition switch itself which worked ok, but in the inability of the key to engage the steering lock or seat lock - the key pressed in against spring pressure as is normal but neither of these locks would operate. The key-barrel has a ‘tongue’ at the end to fit into a matching hole in the end of the long shaft (which starts at the barrel and terminates at the ignition switch.) The key-barrel ‘tongue’ is hollow and rectangular in shape measuring 6mmx5mm with the two opposing 6mm sides hemispherical. Almost half of it had broken off so that instead of it being a good fit in its mating hole, it was reduced in size and thus flopped about within it. There are a few solutions to this problem, but I filled the shaft mating hole with epoxy and pushed the barrel tongue into it and left it 24 hours to set. The result seems to be a success. The ignition key now works as it should. The pictures show the whole shaft and the broken tongue at the end of the barrel. I hope all is clear.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Sounds like a good fix. Only time will tell how it holds up but I suspect it will.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts