Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the oil in my 2005 and somehow the dipstick broke off in the crankcase.

I do not know how it happened as I certainly didn't put any pressure that I could notice on it, didn't even screw it in while checking the level.

The real questions are:

1) If I drained the oil would I be able to get it out from the drain hole?
2) Is there another way to get it out without tearing the engine down?
3) Would it hurt anything if I left it in there?

This is my backup ride as my main ride is in the shop. I really don't want to tear the engine apart for a little plastic piece but if it would for sure hurt something then I would have to.

Don

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
donlafferty said:
I was changing the oil in my 2005 and somehow the dipstick broke off in the crankcase.

I do not know how it happened as I certainly didn't put any pressure that I could notice on it, didn't even screw it in while checking the level.

The real questions are:

1) If I drained the oil would I be able to get it out from the drain hole?
Not likely, unless you were to get very lucky;

2) Is there another way to get it out without tearing the engine down?
You could try pulling the engine sump oil filter and "seeing what you can see":

This is probably the best bet, with perhaps a better than 50/50 chance you will find it there or thereabouts;

3) Would it hurt anything if I left it in there?
I would not be overly concerned about it. It is big enough that as a whole it won't easily clog up any passages, and light and soft enough that it will likely just get knocked around and have small bits that end up in the sump filter or in the paper filter.

This is my backup ride as my main ride is in the shop. I really don't want to tear the engine apart for a little plastic piece but if it would for sure hurt something then I would have to.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I went to the Suzuki dealer to get a replacement dipstick I asked their mechanic what he thought. He said about the same as you regarding taking a chance. He also thought the bottom of the crankcase is visible from the filler hole so I think what I'll do is empty out the new oil into a clean container and then pour it back in with the drain out to see if it will flush.

If that doesn't work then I'm taking the chance. I can't see a small piece of plastic harming anything that would result in major problems.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
donlafferty said:
When I went to the Suzuki dealer to get a replacement dipstick I asked their mechanic what he thought. He said about the same as you regarding taking a chance. He also thought the bottom of the crankcase is visible from the filler hole so I think what I'll do is empty out the new oil into a clean container and then pour it back in with the drain out to see if it will flush.

If that doesn't work then I'm taking the chance. I can't see a small piece of plastic harming anything that would result in major problems.
I think there is a very good chance you would find it just by removing the sump filter cover, and pulling the sump filter--which BTW the dealer mechanic may not even know exists. Do what you describe with the sump filter cover off and the filter out and I believe it will be Miller time.

You do not even have to pull any Tupperware to do this, the sump filter cover is just above the centerstand bumper on the left side--two bolts and it's off...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am extremely happy to report I didn't have to do anything. I moved the gallon jug of oil and it was underneath it. I either set the jug on it or stepped on it. I didn't think I did either but I also didn't see how putting it in the hole could have done it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Glad I didn't have to try any of them.

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts