Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had this problem and now I will submit the fix I came across. I read about one guy struggling even with a crow bar to get the seat up. After studying the latch design via picture online, I realized that if I could get close, I could pop the lever, which is just what I did. The lower Tupperware over the license plate is held on my 4 plastic pins. Then the upper Tupperware is held on by two plastic pins in the rear by the tail lights and two on top just under the seat edge. they can be pried up and out. With that the upper Tupperware can be lifted enough out of the way to see the latch. On the back side is a slot in the frame to the back of the latch. If you shine a light in there, you can see the bottom of the latch and the lever. A screw driver can easily go in and slide the latch to the right and "pop" goes the latch and the seat is up. Did it quite quickly actually. My problem is I had gotten water in the cable and it rusted in two. I took the left over cable and looped it and crimped on a cable swedge to create a loop for emergency purposes until I get a cable replacement and have the time to actually install it.

I will try and upload pictures later.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The lower Tupperware over the license plate is held on my 4 plastic pins. Then the upper Tupperware is held on by two plastic pins in the rear by the tail lights and two on top just under the seat edge. they can be pried up and out. With that the upper Tupperware can be lifted enough out of the way to see the latch. On the back side is a slot in the frame to the back of the latch.
Is it that easy if you have a Givi top box?
Do you have to remove the mounting plate?

·
Registered
201 Posts
There are a half dozen threads that address the "broken latch" problem.

Dealing with a broken seat latch cable.

Here is one recommendation on how to open the seat latch if the cable is broken.

Remove the access cover then find where the cable routes along the frame on the right side.
Grap it with a pair of pliers and pull forward on it.
source: http://burgmanusa.com/forums/18-gripes/18147-seat-lock-release.html

Photos were promised and probably are available on another thread.

There are two cables on the right side. One of them is the seat latch cable..

I don't think anyone has fully addressed how to lubricate the seat latch cable.

WD-40 should do the job (displace the moisture) if there was a way to lubricate the middle of the cable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Many people have dealt with the broken seat latch problem
but their instructions are often too cryptic and difficult to follow.

Here is what worked for me.
Remove the cover to expose two wires. The larger one is the brake cable.
The smaller one is the seat release cable.
The usual instruction is to grab that cable with a pair of pliers and yank.
I was not able to do this because of the limited space and lack of leverage.
Instead of yanking, I tapped the pliers with a hammer. This provided enough
force to pop the latch.

·
Administrator
17,620 Posts
I used a set of "9's" (9 inch lineman pliers) to cut mine down at the engine cover and then relocated it around the back to the left side below my GIVI side bad. It had rusted in half at the lowest point of the sheath. I cut the sheath back leaving about 8 inches of cable. I then looped it twice through a "Yellow" crimp connector of 12 gauge electrical wire and crimped it down, leaving a finger pull.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used a set of "9's" (9 inch lineman pliers) to cut mine down at the engine cover and then relocated it around the back to the left side below my GIVI side bad. It had rusted in half at the lowest point of the sheath. I cut the sheath back leaving about 8 inches of cable. I then looped it twice through a "Yellow" crimp connector of 12 gauge electrical wire and crimped it down, leaving a finger pull.
Dave do you know if Le Dude is still posting helpful info? I am trying to remove the passenger back rest from my 16 650 exe. Any tips videos or advice would sure be welcome.

·
Administrator
17,620 Posts
LeDude has not done any 2013 and up Info posts as he has an older one. But I think that the backrests are about the same as the older units. I replied to your other post about this.

·
Premium Member
7,594 Posts
Dave do you know if Le Dude is still posting helpful info? I am trying to remove the passenger back rest from my 16 650 exe. Any tips videos or advice would sure be welcome.
will get my 15 manual out tomorrow and answer, not walking very well tonight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts