Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I’m in the hills near Manchester,

I’ve met and been on rides with at least a dozen Burgman riders in the area, mostly part of The Ugly Bunch.

Check out Maxi-muppets.co.uk they have a Burgman forum, ride outs, trips abroad and local help for those that need it. Several from there are current or past members here (including Quantum Mechanic who goes by the nickname Data over there).

I normally ride a but once mentioned I was riding out to Wales and got a “want some company?” Reply. Threw it open and 27 maxi-scooters turned up. 6 or 7 Burgs plus mine :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
How many UK riders are using this great forum and where about in UK are you.
Steve from Sunny Stockton, North East.
How many UK riders are using this great forum and where about in UK are you.
Steve from Sunny Stockton, North East.
Hi Steve I've just signed up with the Group! My name's Leon, residing in East Sussex and I have a Suzuki 400 an Y (2001) have not had it long as it's a replacement for the Sv I had which had to go. Wanted something more practicle for round the city.
I've had to do a fair bit of work to it already however there is a severe Clattering noise coming from it, thought it was the variator/clutch/belt rollers, so had all that changed but nope! Sound is still there, well was until yesterday when she cut out on me while riding, wheeled it to a safe location, tried to get it started.. nothing! Ignition was fine at this point lights worked ect but just wouldn't turn over.
locked up the bike left it overnight and came back in the morning.
tried to start her and a little bit of effort but she fired up. Idled ok for 10 minutes ,apart from the loud Clattering noise. Turned it off.
left it for about 30 mins and then tried to start it again, Battery seemed like it had no energy at all ' typical drained battery sound.... Flat.
it might be the obvious but with the noise and now this happening, just wondering if you may have some inclination with this kind of situation.....
by the way Steve after that introduction nice to meet you too 😂

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not familiar with the 400 Burgmans, mine are 650's. I'm sure someone will be along with some advice they seem pretty good at that, lol. 19 year old, has it run OK up too now or has it clattered since you bought it. It would probably help if the guys knew what you have done already. So it's making the clattering noise when stood still. The battery was down, maybe, and I'm just guessing here, there is something wrong with the stator. Where is noise coming from and is it charging, do you know how to check?
Try posting the above in the 400 Burgman section, or maybe one of the mods could move the relevant bits for you.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Cam chain tensioner maybe a member posted on here not long ago had the same clattering issue start a new thread as the man said in the 400 section give as much info as possible and welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
I wish I had started this Thread 🤣

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not familiar with the 400 Burgmans, mine are 650's. I'm sure someone will be along with some advice they seem pretty good at that, lol. 19 year old, has it run OK up too now or has it clattered since you bought it. It would probably help if the guys knew what you have done already. So it's making the clattering noise when stood still. The battery was down, maybe, and I'm just guessing here, there is something wrong with the stator. Where is noise coming from and is it charging, do you know how to check?
Try posting the above in the 400 Burgman section, or maybe one of the mods could move the relevant bits for you.
Cheers mate

·
Registered
63 Posts
There may be more owners, but in the UK a bike that is "just transport AND a scooter" doesn't attract people who like to identify with certain groups ( sport bike, adventure bike etc.) hence they never try one, unfortunately the Burgman is also too expensive for the commuter, that means that as owners we have "done all that" or have reached a decision that "does it matter?" and have opted, like many of the European riders to ride some thing that does it all with comfort - except off road (however, having been caught out by a road closure recently I can vouch that walking next to the bike while gently using the throttle means you can negotiate a small ditch if taken at a tangent ;)).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes you are right, it was only over in Spain whilst moaning to my mate about how heavy my VN2000 was and I was getting too old for it, even though I loved it, that my mate (who also has a Goldwing) threw me the keys of his 650 Burgman and said go try that. But it's a scooter I said as I reluctantly hopped on board. Half an hour latter I had made up my mind, I now have two Burgmans one in Spain and one in UK. Last time I was over in Spain for 3 month I think I took the Vulcan out once, always grabbing the Burgman keys. They are living under the radar. Pity they stopped making them. Now things are settling down I will be throwing my keys at a few biker mates for them to try, watch this space.lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Eastbourne east sussex
Lived in alicante 20 years',used my classics and my 1500 goldwing had 30 years,gets bit difficult getting your leg over when your 80 my 650 Burger keeps me sane,planning ride to Alicante minus motorways on the Scoot september anyone interested.👍

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Baz, we should be already there, staying in El Campello, just up the road. Drop me a pm and we'll meet up for a drink.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ex Burgman 400 owner and twice user of the excellent 650 Burgmans for work (company bikes). Now owner of Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr model. Bought new, near 4 years old now and running fine. I'm on ride outs with Burgman 400 and 650 owners from time to time and as Bluebottle says, I'm a Maxi-Muppet.co.uk member which is an excellent site for discussion, technical help and ride outs. My Burgman 400 was one of the most comfortable bikes I've owned but after years of tech work and engineering taking it's toll on me, my back prefers the more upright seating position of the Vespa. It also has similar performance to my Burgman but slightly slower on top speed. I intend to rectify that soon...Malossi kit coming soon!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts