Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Taverners! :)

Well - I have been cajoled into taking a Florida holiday in June this year, in the main to allow my 10 year old daughter a 'theme park experience'.

I have done similar before when my two eldest kids were nippers and we freelanced the whole thing, booking flights and only booking the first night's accommodation ahead and then buying park tickets locally (PX!). Over the three weeks we stayed in half a dozen hotels/motels/beach huts. That was a 3 week holiday which we broke up with a park week, a visit to friends in Tampa for a weekend, a week on the Gulf coast and then the final week of park purgatory (sorry - fun). :wink:

Well this trip there will just be the three of us and I do not know if I should try and emulate the former trip, book up a package deal, stay in the resort hotels etc etc. I do know that last time when I looked back at the costs - I paid out a whole lot of dollars in car rental (+++insurance) for the car to spend most of its time in the themepark carpark.

I would be grateful for any advice from the many Floridians we have on the forum. :)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Norman, I've seen a few commercials about package deals where you get park access and hotel for XX amount of dollars. I don't remember the amount. If I see the commercial again, I'll write the info down for you.

less than $1500 -- here's the link.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Check with your insurance company to see if you are covered for liability.
Check your credit card to see if it covers damage to the rental vehicle.
Most of our credit cards cover the rental car damage. I have found that
you usually get a better exchange rate using your credit card than to exchange currency. The good news (for you) is that the Pound is way up.
Even before most prices were far cheaper here. We even get free ketchup
at McDonalds.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Norm,

Check your PM. I can provide you with loads of information and a few good web links for planning.

Janine

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just as an aside, I was just asked to consult with another medical biller (my profession) about a lady who took a trip aboard a ship. She got sick and stayed in the ships hospital for the entire week. She now has medical bills over $30,000.00. She has Medicare and their policy is not to pay outside of this US. They do not accept her insurance and want to put it on a credit card. I deal with a lot of embassy's since I am so close to Washington. The best thing to do is make sure you get an international medical insurance that would pay in the US, just in case. Can save a lot of hastle and lots of money if someone has to go into a hospital. This is something most people do not think of when leaving their own country. After viewing this lady's bills, I will never go without extra insurance if and when I leave the country.

·
Registered
428 Posts
First things first old timer - go out and get the most hideous hawaiian shirt you can find (any will fit that description), khaki shorts, and sandals worn with socks. You can pick up the Brylcreem, Aqua Velva and Old Spice when you get here.

Rental cars in Orlando are CHEAP. You can pick up a midsize at the airport for less than $20USD, which is like, what, 11 quid? Might be worth it to be able to flee the parks once a day for saner ground. Chuck E Cheese, for instance.

Re: park tickets, locals here will probably have better suggestions (could it get any worse?) but I seem to recall getting a discount by purchasing them from the concierge.

Bon Voyage.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Norman, since Bleeder is so well versed on this thing, I bet he will let you borrow his shirt, shorts and sandals. I have plenty of socks if you need any extras.

Airship your 650 over to North Carolina...I'm only 60 miles from Charlotte or Greensboro...and leave it with me while you go on to Florida in my Toyota. Or you can have my pick-up truck...it might go better with the shirt. We can install a gun rack in the back window which is mandatory in Georgia and Alabama should you pass that way.

Or better yet, let your better half and son go on to Florida and we'll ride our scoots while they are gone. Got an extra room...you may have to share it with some of my 6 cats and 2 dogs though. And Bleeders shirt will go over good in Lexington...any town that drags a pig out on groundhog day will appreciate such finery.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Hey Norman,

You never did say if you sold the 400. If you kept it, you could ship it over here and not have to be without a ride during transit. Ship it to Florida, ditch the family at the theme park, and head up to the 'Tail of the Dragon'. :p

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey Norman
I have not been to Florida, but saw something about the joys of booking with a hotel that has links with the park. It means that you park the junker at the hotel, cos at 20USD, the rental has to be a junker.

You get a free shuttle bus (not a space shuttle ride, you hear) to and from the park. The joy of this is that at noon or thereabouts, when your head is spinning (400 Coors light = 1 Guiness), you shuttle back to the hotel, have a nap, and with brand new energy, hit the park for the evening show and the firework finale, which I understand is something to see.

If you arrive in the junker, you may feel committed to being there the whole day, and even growd up kids like me can only take so much in any one day. Then its miles back to the hotel without the link and oh boy, you just don't do it, and everyone gets uncool.

You the man with the hot mouse, mouse over to IE and see what deals you can get. Worth it even its a little extra on the costs of the hotel located in Wayoutsville.

Most others put this sort of thing in as their 10 cents worth.

As a professional expert consultant advisor, thats 200 British Pounds you need to PM to me..

Cheers

Randal and Gail

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the useful replies and pms - which are assisting my research.

I will check out the credit card cover for rental vehicle damage - but I do not think the UK ones do that. I would like to avoid the car hire but I am a realist too and the US is one place that private transport is a must - it is the insurance top up that really hurt last time.

Medical Insurance cover - I always make sure we have zillions of $$ worth when we visit the States - likewise legal cover - there is always a chance of spilling coca cola on someone and getting sued for the emotional distress!! :lol:

Bleeder I do not need any help from you in making myself look like a tourist (or a fool) - I have managed to accomplish that many times over and in fact have been complimented in the highest circles for my sartorial ineptitude. :wink:

I hate McDonalds - and the free ketchup is not going to tempt me. :)

Thanks for the link Pinwheel - those $1500 deals look good but as you click they rack up to $6000 deals. :cry:

Janine - great links (via email) they are going to keep me busy for a few days. :)

Howard - thanks for the PM, you said you would send more info in another message - it is very kind of you. :)

To those who suggest I leave the family in FL and go scootin, ridin, fishin or whatever - great idea but NOT an option ABSOLUTELY NOT. Believe me.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I couldn't believe it when they wanted to charge me 10p for a packet of ketchup. Then they made me beg for each tiny cube of ice which they carefully parceled out.
The worst part was all the crazy people driving on the wrong side of the road. There was no way I was going to try to drive. It was hard enough to just walk across the street.
The good part was that you don't really need a car to get around. (Unless you don't know most trains don't run after midnight.) I spent six hours laying on a bench in a deserted station in Manchester waiting for the train to Leeds after coming back from Ireland. (My wife stayed with her sister in Leeds while I went to Ireland & then Scotland.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts