Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to buy my first Burgman 650 Executive soon. A few years ago, I used to own an '02 Silver Wing; test drove a used Burgman 650 ('06 if memory serves) and got hooked.

The thing is, it appears that the Euro Burgies have three things going for them their American counterparts do not:

1. Chipped Security Key System
  2. Heated Seats
  3. Heated Grips
So would it be legal to say, buy a German, or UK, or French, or Italian Market Burgman and have it shipped over here, Euro Specs Intact? I seem to recall some type of Certificating being necessary, but as long as it would pass emissions (German most definitely would!), I can't believe it'd be all that much of a hassle--since I'm considering going through it.

Any Information on this process would be greatly appreciated.

Information on aftermarket chipped security key ignition kits, heated seats and grips, would also be welcome!

All thoughts and feelings welcome, as always :)!

(Note: Money's not present at the moment, so this is a study in conjecture. It will probably be next year, or the year after--unless I get lucky--before I can buy one. Still, I need to do this now to keep my interest. The pictures and affirmations I've placed on my computer Desktops (Linux/Windows), and the printouts on the wall of my apartment, and the dry erase board affirmations, as well, help to keep the dream--and my interest--alive! ;-])

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You'd be better off getting the Canadian one which has all that and push to change to miles and you dollar is good right now.

I have a heated seat if you really want one - I use a Daylong....I ride all year and don't miss a heated seat.
The grips are good but those can be added

I think it would be a huge hassle and expense to ship from Europe when you can drive across the border and drive it home.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I would strongly suggest you find out if the vehicle you plan to import is first identical to the version sold in the U.S. . You will for sure need a letter / document directly from the manufacturer stating such . Or a stamp on the vehicle stating that it meets all U.S. standards . Read this and before you give a seller a dime of your money do a dry run , like contact the manufacturer for that letter . Do a little investigative leg work and read every thing you can like . https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/289/~/importing-a-non-u.s.-version-%2F-non-conforming-vehicle-or-car-into-the-u.s.

I tried it once and it's a can of worms I wished very quickly I never opened . I'm not sure which is more difficult , importing a motor vehicle into the U.S. or Osama bin Laden .

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes.

Importing a vehicle is more than it having to meet the same standards. It has to be CERTIFIED as meeting the same standards. Sometimes that's done; as with some Canadian-market Toyotas (I looked into it when the dollar-CN dollar exchange was favorable). Often times it's not.

And if the regulations aren't satisfied, the motor vehicle is confiscated - and destroyed. Move carefully....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yes.

Importing a vehicle is more than it having to meet the same standards. It has to be CERTIFIED as meeting the same standards. Sometimes that's done; as with some Canadian-market Toyotas (I looked into it when the dollar-CN dollar exchange was favorable). Often times it's not.

And if the regulations aren't satisfied, the motor vehicle is confiscated - and destroyed. Move carefully....
Yes.

Using a company specialized in importation will help. When moving to the USA from Canada and even if my Toyota Echo was exactly the same car than in the USA except for the speed plate in km/h. I did the work by myself because all I needed was a letter from Toyota saying the car respected the Americain EPA.

On the other end, imported a Smart Fortwo diesel in the USA, it will need a conversion for the exhaust system; something an importation company will look to and made the mod to be able to pass the custom.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks To All Who Replied

I appreciate the information on the importation process. Educational and Informative. If I go this route, I will pay heed to the necessary paperwork and modifications necessary to make it legal here in the U.S.

That said, I think I may have found two other, and perhaps more adroit, solutions:

1. Multiple Parts for 2013 Burgman -- http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_selec...ake=Suzuki&year=2013&fveh=164144#.Ue3roG1t53U

2. OEM Seat Component -- http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/heated-seat-an650-burgman-2013.html#

Since these are all I want--and my local dealer *finally* has a "Pearl Bracing White" model in stock, I think this may be my way to go.

Again, thanks everyone for your responses. I appreciate them! :notworthy:

Sincerely,
Stephen A. Brown
Jefferson City, Missouri

Note: This response will be cross-posted in this thread:

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/55337-picked-up-mine-yesterday.html

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Funny I was told by a factory rep that you could always a add the heated seat as a kit, same with the grips.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Hey I've got a heated seat I'd love to part with but might not fit the 2013 :(
I don't see a lot of use for it and I"m in Canada.
Grips for sure...seat....not sure you need it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's All I Want--And The Ignition Security System...

Funny I was told by a factory rep that you could always a add the heated seat as a kit, same with the grips.
And that, honestly, is all I really wanna do. :-D

That, and the chipped-key security ignition system. Wouldn't mind adding a nice, loud, aftermarket S-U-P-E-R-L-O-U-D alarm system, either, with it's own hidden speaker. Might need a larger battery and a bigger alternator, though.

Talk about a can of worms I've opened up, myself :p :-D. Boys and their Toys. Hee ;-)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
And that, honestly, is all I really wanna do. :-D

That, and the chipped-key security ignition system. Wouldn't mind adding a nice, loud, aftermarket S-U-P-E-R-L-O-U-D alarm system, either, with it's own hidden speaker. Might need a larger battery and a bigger alternator, though.

Talk about a can of worms I've opened up, myself :p :-D. Boys and their Toys. Hee ;-)
I would call Suzuki direct and ask them about part numbers. It never ends does it. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts